“Excellent staff”

Candlewood Suites - Dallas Market Center
Ranked #63 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed there with my wife recently for two nights. The front desk staff was very friendly. Destiny was especially helpful and friendly. The accommodations themselves were nice enough. Nothing fancy but clean and functional and comfortable. We would stay there again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ditdee74

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Excellent room with special touches for guests like popcorn in the microwave, coffe pot with coffee supplied, silverware, plates and pots for cooking in a nice-sized kitchen. Very clean and comfortable with very friendly staff and excellent customer service. We will most definitely stay there whenever we travel since the rates are uheard of for the size of the rooms and the overall satisfaction of our stay in Dallas!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank K D
Reviewed December 12, 2013

During the recent epic ice event in Dallas, I had a previously-scheduled out-of-town meeting. I decided I was better off going to the airport area the day before, rather than early the next morning, after the ice had a chance to re-freeze and the roads would be worse. This hotel was FABULOUS. Warm and cozy when I arrived, and they suggested that I leave my car with them rather than trying to drive to the airport the next morning. (And they came and got me at the airport when I returned, even though I was not staying there that night.) Great customer service and a great hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I was traveling over Thanksgiving with my wife and one year old daughter and we really wanted a two room suite so we could have he Baby in a separate room. Most of the places in the area either had a so called suite without walls between the rooms or they were priced in the mid $100 range. Candlewood Suites was only $82 but didn't have a breakfast or an indoor pool. The room had a kitchenette. It was small, but the two rooms were perfect for us. The internet worked fine and the room had a comfortable bed and updated furniture. They were able to bring us a nice crib for no extra cost. Overall, I would recommend.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel and had a problem with my room on the 3rd floor. After letting the front desk manager know what the problem was and he saw that I was a IHG Rewards member, he immediately placed me in a temporary room for the night because the hotel was completely sold out. The next day I was switched to a very comfortable, clean and spotless room. I must say that the staff there really go way out of the way to make guest comfortable. "Izzy" the manager should be commended for his great service. Kudos to the Candlewood Suites staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Barbara E, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Dallas Market Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Mary,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I will let the staff and especial Izzy know what a wonderful job they did.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I will never book a room at Candlewood Suites again. I booked my rooms for the weekend of October 11 over the phone through the 1-(800) number on the website. I asked if a deposit would be needed to book the room so I would know how to be prepared financially (I was splitting the cost with the other two people staying in the room) and was told there would be no payment until we arrived at the hotel. However, when the hotel called me the day we were supposed to get into town, the hotel told me that they were moving us to a different location and would be refunding my deposit. I pointed out that I was told there would not be a deposit, and the person at the other end of the line said that they took a deposit from my account anyways because of the events going on that weekend. They comped me my first night's stay in the other location so I did not complain and thought everything would be fine.

When we got to Dallas, we checked in and everything was okay until I went to use my card at a restaurant and was told my card was declined. I was confused because I knew I had more than enough money to handle my expenses that weekend, so I checked my account balance and saw that my card had been run not once, not twice, but three times by the hotel. My account ended up being almost $260 in the negative as a result. I called the bank to see if they could do anything about the situation, but because it was a Saturday, they could not process a claim for a temporary credit, and told me that it could take up to a week for me to actually see the funds. When I called the hotel I was told that there was not a manager on duty (which I am confused about considering it was OU/Texas weekend), but Destiny, who answered the phone was very nice and extremely helpful. She called her manager and carried information back and forth between us a several times. Her manager told her that they had already refunded the money, so it was on the bank to get it to my account (even though it was after business hours on a Friday when the money was refunded, so I was really stuck either way). Finally, after I called a third or fourth time to handle the situation, Destiny's manager, Barbara, said that she would call me to handle the situation. It was an hour and a half before Barbara called me, and when she did, she was EXTREMELY rude.

I told her my frustrations and how I was confused about my card being ran so many times by the hotel, how I did not want to pay for my second night's stay. She told me that she would not be comp the second's night stay and that it was my bank's fault that I did not have the money yet. She kept saying that she understood my frustration, so I decided to ask what she would do if she was in my position, telling her that I no longer had money for food or gas to get back to Oklahoma because of the mistake. Her response was, "If I were in your position I would understand that it was my fault for not having enough money to handle my expenses."

Really? Your hotel ran my card three times and had my account $260 in the whole--and I had an overdraft fee--and you, a manager and customer service representative tells me that I shouldn't have been trying to spend money that I didn't have? I DID have it. But your hotel took that money, three times that amount actually, and took it when I was told I would not have to pay a deposit before I got to the hotel in the first place. We argued for a little bit afterwards and I ended up hanging up the phone, and 15 minutes later got a call from the hotel. It was Destiny--thank goodness--and she told me that Barbara had decided to go ahead and comp the room. I thanked Destiny for being so helpful, because I knew I had called the front desk a lot that day. She apologized for my inconvenience, and also because of my frustration in dealing with her manager. Destiny apologized, not Barbara.

The next week, after getting things worked out with my bank, I was looking at my bank records and saw another charge from Candlewood Suites--Barbara never comped the room. I called the hotel again, asked to speak with any manager except her, and left a detailed message. Eventually Barbara called me back and said that the hotel was refunding me the new amount of money and that she would be covering the cost of the hotel. She also pointed out that it was on the bank's hands in terms of when the refund hit my account. Not once did she apologize for her treatment of me, or take any ownership in the situation. I had to borrow money to eat the rest of the stay, as well as to put gas in my car to make it back to Oklahoma. The situation and treatment of a customer is completely unacceptable, and neither me nor my friends will ever stay at a Candlewood Suites again. Destiny was the saving grace of the hotel. I just hope she gets treated better than her manager treats customers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Lauren W
Barbara E, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Dallas Market Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

On behalf of myself and Candlewood Suites I would like to formally apologize for the bad experience and inconvenience you encountered at Candlewood Suites. I never like a guest to feel slighted in any way. The weekend you were to stay at Candlewood we were unfortunately in an overbooked situation. We never like to walk a guest. I sincerely apologize for the way the situation was handled.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I booked this hotel because of the great reviews it recieved on tripadvisor. My experience here was not a pleasant one. To begin with, the room we were given was not the room we paid for as there wasn't one available when we arrived. Instead of a queen suite we were given one with two queen beds (more like doubles). The lady at the front desk was rude and didn't even appologise for the room change.
The actual bed in the bedroom was so collapsed that my husband and I kept crashing into each other in the middle. Because of this we ended up sleeping in seperate beds. My husband then ended up with flea bites all over him from the other bed. There was also very strange smell throughout the hallways in the hotel.
There is no public transport near by and very few restaurants to eat at. Unless you have your own transport and are visiting someone in the near by hospital I would not even consider this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amy P

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry for the experience you had a candlewood suites. I never like to see that a guest had a bad experience in one of our rooms. We always try to accommodate our guests with the exact room that they have reserved. Unfortunately, if a guest decides not to check out, we have no choice, but to move our reservations from a room with 1 bed to a room with 2 beds. Please understand that I will personally look into the problems that you experienced during your stay to make sure that they do not happen again.

If you would like to call me to discuss your stay, I am available from 7am - 6pm Monday through Friday and on Saturdays.

Again, I sincerely apologize for your inconvenience.