“Great Little Hotel, Great Location, Great Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lumen

The Lumen
Ranked #28 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Tucson, Arizona
“Great Little Hotel, Great Location, Great Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

Frankly, I love Kimpton Hotels and with one exception I have never had a bad experience. the Hotel Lumen was no exception. The hotel is small, chic and friendly. When I arrived I was upgraded to a Spectra Suite, which was larger than most NYC apartments. Two televisions, lots of space, a nifty walk-in shower with jets and a huge bathroom were just highlights. Even though it had a great view of SMU, the room was quiet and the bed comfy.
Kimpton provides coffee in the lobby and a wine reception in the afternoon, both nice touches. However if you are like me and can't get dressed before the first cup, they will send a coffeemaker and coffee to the room. The staff is wonderful and I have to give special mention to Lauren at the front a desk (Kimpton has a gem in her) and the mgr, Mr. Kennedy who offered to try to change me to a room with a balcony when I said I would like one. (I stayed where I was),
The location is convenient and attractive, and nice to walk around. There are lots of places to eat all prices within walking distance. I had great fried oysters at Half Shell.
If you are a fan of small boutique hotels, do yourself a favor and stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Amarillo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

We had a suite - not cheap. The shower barely worked - no water pressure. Took an half hour to wash shampoo out of my hair in the drip of water. The alarm clock was non-functional. There is a kitchen - but no coffee maker, no plates, cups, spoons - no garbage can. The television in the main bedroom was outdated and poor quality. The robes provided by the hotel were VERY old and needed to be thrown out/replaced. They do have a happy hour in the lounge - with some free wine - which was good because then we had some extra glasses for the room. The soap provided for 3 people to use was 2 smal bars for someone the size of a smurf. The listing stated a king size bed - but it was actually a queen which was a shame as I was sharing with a friend and not a spouse. I would check out and move except I brought my pet as it is pet friendly and with 2 others staying with me - it would now be an huge hassle to relocate. Will not stay here again. With so many great places to stay in Dallas - SKIP this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

This hotel had everything I need and like in a hotel, personal friendly service, EASY check in, walk from the car to the desk in 20 steps. Someone jumped out as soon as I pulled in, took my car, loaded my luggage onto a cart and directed me to go to the desk. I had a key and was on route to my room in a few minutes. The room was nice and clean, beautiful big shower and nice flat screen TV, as well as a super comfy bed. It didn't have a coffee maker, but they had complimentary coffee in the lobby at 6AM every morning and it was excellent coffee. They also had happy hour complimentary wine every evening from 5-6. The restaurant looked nice although I didn't have a chance to eat there. Loved this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Burleson, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

Hotel Lumen is a great hotel. The hotel staff goes out of their way to wait on your. The rooms are awesome!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
AssistantGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Hello, I just wanted to send a quick note to thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is so pleasing to hear that our staff took care of your needs and that you enjoyed our "Awesome rooms". Thanks for letting others know about the Hotel Lumen.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

My wife and I took a night over to the Hotel Lumen for a one-night staycation for our anniversary.

Here's what made a great experience:
- The only staff we interacted w/ were the valet and the lady behind the front desk. Both were friendly and professional without being over-bearing.
- The decore of the hotel is spartan/minimalist. In the room this comes off as modern and clean, in the hallways it feels a little utilitarian and cold.
- We were upgraded to the premier suite (selected the option to upgrade if available at $5 upcharge when reserving). It was spacious and pretty much exactly as described on the hotel website.
- The room was comfortable, the linens were clean, there was no noise (we actually did not see any other guests the whole time we were there), and we slept well.
- BONUS points to the hotel for leaving us a complimentary bottle of champagne and some chocolates for our anniversary. Very nice and appreciated touch.

Here is were there is potential to be even better (meaning: things we could have done to enjoy the place more):
- We did not go to the hotel restaurant but peeked in and it looked well decorated and fun.
- There was a wine reception in the afternoon we did not take advantage of, but were welcomed to and would have if we had the time.
- Our room had a nice porch w/ a view of SMU campus that we didn't have time to enjoy.
- Additionally, we saw signs in the lobby of coming additions/improvements to the hotel so that is a good sign the mgmt is continuing to invest in the property.

Overall, I found this hotel to be a quality place to spend the night and would recommend it to out-of-towners looking for a spot that is a good value without being a mass-market chain place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

My friend received a free night at Hotel Lumen from another friend for his birthday. I had never heard of Hotel Lumen before, but I'm glad that I know about it now.

Lauren at the front desk was awesome and sent up a bottle of champagne shortly after check in so that we could celebrate. We were also upgraded to a Premier room. The room was amazing, clean lines, modern/hip decor, AMAZING bathroom (three of us were in there getting ready at the same time).

We had dinner in Social, it was delicious! They have a great wine and specialty cocktail list (I recommend the "Texas Peach"...YUM!). When we returned from a night on the town we ordered from their late night menu and that was also great. I really wanted to have breakfast, but we slept in and ended up just ordering coffee to the room (they said there was supposed to be a coffee maker in the room, but we never found one).

The one thing, above all, that makes me want to return is the OUTRAGEOUS level of customer service that all of their associates provide. The valet attendants, front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping were unbelievably hospitable, accommodating, and friendly. I've worked for hotels for over 6 years and I would love to have them on my staff!

Thank you Hotel Lumen for making our "staycation" amazing and my friend’s birthday fabulous!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
AssistantGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
Hello, I wanted to reach out to you and thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. It truly makes me happy to know that not only did you like the hotel but that our staff made such an impact on your stay. This is what I enjoy to hear about guests experiences. I will share with my staff your comments and we hope that you return to visit us again for another staycation.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

When i travel I usually stay at Hilton hotels because I am an awards member. However, for a change of pace we decided to stay here on a trip to Dallas, and we were pleasanlty suprised! The hotel, from rooms to staff, was incredible! It does not even feel like you are in a typical hotel. The area is nice too, with all of the stores and places around there. All in all a great property, and we WILL be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for letting other potential guest know of your stay at the hotel Lumen. We are pleased to hear that you had such a pleasurable trip. As I do with a lot of comments I will be sure to pass along to our staff about your stay and we sure do hope to see you on your next visit to Dallas.