All reviews smu campus kimpton hotel front desk directly across the street mini bar cool hotel car service business trip to dallas valet staff mile radius large room valet parking wonderful hotel the entire staff suite sink robes
Selected filters
Reviewed December 7, 2019 via mobile

A gorgeous hotel. Worth every penny. Great French press coffee at the bar in the morning or espresso. Friendly staff. Only thing, watch out for baseboards on beds. They stick out and you will destroy your shin!

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Daniel B, Front Office Manager at The Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for staying with us! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience. And thank you for taking the time to let the world know about it. I hope we can get you back again soon!

Reviewed December 6, 2019 via mobile

My daughter is dancer and is auditioning at SMU. I was told the the Lumen was super close to the Dance college. I had a reservation for January but her audition got moved to February. I had around a $200 rate in February and when I changed it to February, they were charging me almost $400 a night. I had to cancel - Very disappointing!

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family

I'm very sorry that we weren't able to get you accommodated. Unfortunately our rates are based on availability and overall availability in the Market. I hope we can get you back at some point.

Reviewed December 5, 2019

I spent two weeks at this hotel. After going back through my bills, I found I was double charged for a meal. The hotel did correct this but I had to spend at least 30 minutes of my time. Then when I got my credit card the receipts they gave me did not match with the charges. Spent another ridiculous amount of time trying to get them to explain this. They basically left off some parking charges and then went back and changed the receipt amounts without telling me. I am having to turn in all my charges to insurance and it is making a mess of things. Be careful when you check out what they are charging you for as well as double check your credit card. They were not helpful at all.

Date of stay: October 2019

I am very sorry to hear that you had issues with your billing. I'm even more disappointed to hear that my team was not able to resolve these issues in a timely manner. I will follow up with my team to ensure that we learn from this incident and do everything we can to not let it happen in the future.

Reviewed November 20, 2019

This dump bills itself as a luxury, full-service hotel. It is not.

Restaurant closes at 10pm. That's right 10pm.
No water in the rooms.
No tissue in the rooms.
Two towels.
The minibar fridge is locked, and not stocked.
Room is tiny, you enter through the bathroom, and the window (if you can call it that) looks out onto a wall.
Ac broken. Room will not cool to a comfortable temperature.
When I asked to speak with a manager, I was told the manager was asleep. This was 10:15 pm.

Bad, bad, bad. Stay far away.

Date of stay: November 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank jkhance
Daniel B, Front Office Manager at The Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2019

I'm very sorry for all of the issues you had with your recent stay. It seems that we missed the mark on a number of service opportunities. I hope that my staff was at least attentive to your requests and handled them in a timely manner. Most establishments here in University Park close at 10 or earlier, we do try to provide alternative dining options for guests that require food later than this; but I do apologize that this was an inconvenience for you during your stay.

Reviewed November 11, 2019

Stayed here over the weekend for SMU homecoming. Having stayed here before, I was appalled to find out I was charged $500 per night (two night minimum) night for a room with a view of a very nice white wall. Room had no coffee and no turn down service at this price? Staff was pleasant, especially John in the attached restaurant. This is consistent with previous reviews on price. This time, price gouging for homecoming seems a great way to describe how we were treated. Next time, it sure won't be here.

Date of stay: November 2019
1  Thank padic
Daniel B, Front Office Manager at The Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2019

Thank you for staying with us. I'm very sorry that you had such a disappointing stay this time. I'm glad that our staff were pleasant and attentive with you. We are happy to bring up coffee makers for guests that don't choose to take advantage of the coffee in the lobby. I hope we can get you back so that we can provide you with a memorable stay for the right reasons.