“Saved the Day”

The Lumen
Ranked #35 of 205 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 14, 2009

This hotel saved the day while last minute work was being done at my home. They got me a room at a great price, and my dogs were also really pleased with the room and service. Location also cannot be beat.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The Lumen

Reviewed September 8, 2009

Stayed at the Lumen for 2 nights, and was very impressed with the friendly and helpful staff, who went out out of their way to be of service, and the stylish decor. The room was very large and comfortable, and the shower in a category by itself. Very convenient to SMU. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Stayed there for 4th of July weekend. Brought my (big) dog and had ample room in the top floor suite which had a nice size balcony. Am so grateful that the Kimpton Hotels are hospitable to dogs (of any size), which is so helpful to those of us that like to travel with our 4-legged family members. The front staff was friendly but not over imposing. The location is key if you know anything about Dallas. It is across the street from SMU and in the heart of University Park such that access to most parts of town is extremely easy. Did have one snafu with housekeeping missing my room but when asked to come and service the room, they did. Liked the quaintness of the hotel...not too big with easy in and out access. Overall it was perfect for our needs with our faithful friend. Plan to return in near future.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I really liked this hotel for a business trip. It was easy to get to, the bed was super comfortable, the bathroom was spacious, the staff was always friendly (including room service) and the valet had my car ready to go "in an instant" every time. The ambiance of the Lumen is relaxing and not "go, go, go" like in other hotels I've stayed in for work. Hotel Lumen was a pleasant place to call "home" to for a week.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2009

This hotel is right next to SMU - great if you want to be right next to SMU. It's 3 blocks from the interstate so easy access. The entrance is strange and hard to find. The place looks like an old apartment or other type residence building. The staff are great. The bartender is superb. The rooms are uncomfortable. Too much stuff in them and the space is too tight - doors bang into things when you open them etc. Breakfast is a disaster - do yourself a favor and skip it. The menu is limited - the food is below average - the service is terrible. Unless you have an hour to kill so eating microwave food seems like a good idea you'll want to eat elsewhere. I've stayed at the Palomar 3 blocks away and it is far better.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Having lived in Germany for three years and extensively traveling to various countries in Europe, the Hotel Lumen would be a typical 3 star hotel. The rooms have the decor, and simplistic layout traditional of a European Hotel. The shower / water pressure is "ala" Germany where there is ample water pressure and flow. The Seinfield Episode where Kramer has illegal shower heads comes to mind because it is easy to want to stay in the shower for long periods of time (just don't wash the produce off in the shower)! The Aveda amenties are superior to those that you would find in typical chain hotels.

Although the Lumen is not on par with the other Kimpton Hotel nearby, it is a very good value and has a great location and service.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Hotel was nice, with great location near SMU. Rooms were a tad weird with the entrance taking you directly into the bathroom and the shower being in the bedroom! Also leopard bathrobes and lingerie in the closet for "sale" was odd.

While at hotel my very expensive watch went missing. Not 100% sure if it was left in the bathroom or taken by room staff but it was never turned it and was most assuredly "misplaced" at the hotel. The staff didn't seem overly concerned and were more concerned with assuring me that their housekeeping staff would never take anything that helping me find the watch. The only weird thing about that incident is that the night it went missing from my room, my entire group had their keys "canceled" and we all had to have them renewed at the front desk. No one ever explained why this was....

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
AssistantGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2009

Hello,
I wanted to take the time to thank you for your comment on TripAdvisor. It is always nice to see that someone would take the time to let others know about your experience with us. I am sorry to hear about the lost item and I know that my Rooms Division Manager has been in touch with you. We of course would like to keep in touch with you about this item and hope that we can assist in anyway possible. I am sorry to hear that you did not feel that our staff was being helpful and I have spoken with my team to make sure that all of our guest feel important at all times.
Again thank you for taking the time and we always enjoy having your company with us and we look forward to your return as well. If at anytime you need any further assistance I beleive you have my Rooms Divsion Manager number and you may contact myself at anytime also.