“My new favorite hotel in Dallas”
Review of The Lumen

The Lumen
Ranked #30 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
El Paso, Texas
“My new favorite hotel in Dallas”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I visit Dallas whenever we can, frequently traveling with our dogs. We love the fact that more and more properties are puppy friendly, and have found several in Dallas that we enjoy for location, but not for elegance. We were there last month for a wedding and booked the Lumen because rooms were blocked off for the wedding guests bringing pets. We booked a small suite and got a beautiful apartment on the fourth floor. It had marble in the bathrooms,a full gorgeous kitchen, huge flat screen TV in the living room (a smaller one in the bedroom), comfortable king bed, beautiful décor and all of it was spotless. The staff was fabulous, from the valets to the managers. Everyone strived to make us feel welcome from check-in to check-out. The staff was professional and friendly - even offering to walk our dogs if we needed their help. The front desk staff always had a doggie treat (duck and cranberry biscuit, anyone?) and a smile for our pups. Although we did not get a chance to use the pool, it was beautiful - it had cabanas, couches, lounge chairs, etc. There is a furnished deck on the rooftop that is very comfortable and affords a great view of the area. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel (including the SMU campus) is lovely, especially for walking dogs. Please be sure to pick up after yourself, though. The hotel carries bags for just that purpose.
We had one meal at the restaurant, which I understand has been entirely redone at the front of the hotel when it was renovated last year. It is glass enclosed and very attractive, especially at night, when the bar is lit up against the night. Of course, we sat outside on the patio area with the dogs (they are very well behaved) and the wait staff brought out bowls for water without being asked.
The Lumen (and other Kimpton properties) have a happy hour every evening from 5 to 6. Although the selection is small, it was tasty, and very welcome at the end of a day busy running around Dallas. All in all, I was delighted with the choice and will definitely stay again in the future, with or without the dogs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AssistantGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Your review has left me speachless. I am so excited you had a great stay and so glad that we have become your "new favorite hotel in Dallas" Looks like we did it right!!!!! Thank you so much and please come see us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I frequently travel to Dallas for business and try to stay near SMU. Great hotel. Quiet and comfortable room. Excellent pool. But it's the people that really make the difference. Very personable and helpful. My only suggestion -- the workout room could use an upgrade. It's not bad; but the workout equipment at other Kimpton hotels (e.g., the Palomar) usually is better, with amenities like individual monitors on treadmills, ellipticals, etc.

I'll definitely be back at the Hotel albumen soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you!! It truly means so much to all of us when we see that our staff is what made your stay. Our staff looks at many reviews and they love this. You have made our day!
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My partner and I are old acquaintances of the Hotel Lumen, having stayed there both before and after the face lift. The new look is very, very impressive: modern, clean, and elegant (exactly what we expect from the Kimpton brand). The new pool area is very chic, great for a lazy afternoon. We found the front desk staff very sweet, a bit distracted by the TV (our visit was during a big game), but friendly and accommodating.

Our only real disappointment was the restaurant, the Front Room. Great decor, so-so service. Happy hour was about to start, and we sat for 10 minutes before water even arrived. And we left feeling underwhelmed at price for value. My frittata was $12 and contained nothing but eggs.

Quick Summary: The remodel puts the Lumen on par with Kimpton's sister property in Dallas, the Hotel Palomar, which was a much needed step. Patrons will find it a relaxing place for a short getaway, and one that impresses special visitors to SMU. With so many restaurants in the area, there are plenty of other options if the Front Room does not impress.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the back of the building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carolyn R
"The Old Girl" Says Thank you. We are so glad that you liked the new look. I love the pool it has to be one of my favorite spots. We have had some changes in The Front Room and I hope on your next visit you will give it anohter try. I think you will be very pleased. Thanks for taking a moment to let others know how your experience was.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Found this hotel by chance - but have now added it on to my regular business travel list. Very nicely laid out and extremely smart / clean property. The restaurant has some very interesting and very nice choices.
Only drawback is the location, but it is well worth the extra $10 taxi ride compared to the local same-old, same-old, chain properties.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello thanks for the recommending us to others. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will return soon. I love that your adding us to your "list" Thank you!!!
Reviewed June 21, 2013

In between houses while paint & floors getting ready at new house. Originally was going to be here 4 nights...when contractor said it would be a few more days before we could move in I would have ordinarily flipped but could have cared less because we are getting to stay here longer! Have a 16 year old and a dog in tow as well and it's been great for both!
I just wish I wasn't so busy so I could enjoy the pool! Food is over the top good! Fun for just drinks too! My suite is such a great value, nice size and so comfortable. Location is the BEST! And lastly, the staff... They are all helpful & friendly! I know, for sure, that my dog, Ginger, will be sad to leave!

• Stayed June 2013
We sure did enjoy having you with us and we loved Ginger! We hope you have stoped by since you left to see us. We love having our neighbors staying with us and your right it is so nice to get away for a bit. Hope all the painting went well and we look forward to seeing you again. Come and bring Ginger and your son over for a visit.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Hotel Lumen was a fantastic surprise. From what used to be a run down motor hotel, a crisp boutique hotel has been born. From the moment we pulled up, and encountered the valet, to the pool side dining service every staff member went out of their way to make us feel like Hotel Lumen was our home away from home. Carlos, in dining services, made sure that he anticipated every need we may have during are pool side afternoon and morning breakfast in bed. The room was spacious, and my 6'9" husband felt comfortable in the surroundings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for calling us a "GEM" I love that! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Being tall myself I know how that can be and glad your 6"9 husband felt comftorable. We hope to see you soon.
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at the Lumen over St. Pattys day weekend because a lot of my friends live in Dallas. It was located in a quaint location, not too far from anything, but not directly in the city. They offer a cab that will take you within 3 miles of the hotel for free (tips appreciated). The free cab took us to the mall, dinner and to a bar for St. Pattys. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly. When I went (march) the pool was still covered, but it was heated, yet it was 80 degrees I would have liked to lay out. So instead, we went to the top of the hotel, they have a patio on the roof and just sat in the sun there.

My friend brought her large black lab with; they were so accommodating to her dog. They brought water, food, took him on a walk while we were gone. Honestly, the staff was fabulous.

The rooms were nice, two queen beds, marble shower, very clean and modern. The restaurant there was unbelievable, food was just outstanding. They have free wine hour around 5, and free coffee in the morning which was convenient.

The hotel is about 30 miles from the main airport (65 dollar cab), but there is a smaller airport that I know southwest flys into that is about 4 miles from this hotel.

If you are looking for something more relaxing, I would choose this hotel, there is another kimpton hotel located about 1 mile away that is directly across from the mall, which I would probably stay next time!
Enjoy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
First of all so sorry for my delay in responding to your posting. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. I think we actually took the tent down a few days after you left. As much as I dont like to share it is ok if you go to the Palomar but you have to promise to come back to The Lumen!!!