“Nice hotel, great staff!”
Review of The Lumen

The Lumen
Ranked #30 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Colorado
“Nice hotel, great staff!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My son have stayed at the Hotel Lumen twice now while visiting SMU. It is right across the street from campus, so if you are visiting the school you can't be in a more convenient location.

The staff at the front desk are always so nice. They have gone above and beyond to help us out. One time they offered us tickets for a SMU football game! Another time the poor front desk person was out on the sidewalk trying to flag down a cab that kept cluelessly driving by the hotel, unable to find the hotel for some unknown reason after she spent 10 minutes on the phone with him trying to help him. The gentlemen at the front are always hustling to get the door open for you and greeting you with a smile.

We also love the feel of the hotel-modern and clean. The rooms are comfortable and also very clean.

On our first visit we enjoyed the pool, the cute cabanas and the comfy lounges. I like the free wine and snack hour they have too.

The restaurant in the hotel I think is called the Front Room. It has been very busy at night both times we were there. The food I have ordered has been only okay, but my some loved his fried chicken. The bar area was lively and has a fun vibe.

If my son ends up attending SMU, I will be a frequent visitor here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AssistantGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
We are so glad you took time to talk about your stay. It is great having our SMU Parents with us and I hope he decieded on SMU. GO MUSTANGS!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have stayed at the Lumen numerous times for business in the Dallas area. The front desk folks always greet me by name and ask if I will be needing a ride to my office via shuttle. Brandon(the shuttle driver, most of the time) has to be one of the most knowledgeable Kimpton employees I have ever met. And being from the DC area, I have met a lot! The food at the restaurant is good, but the speed of service for breakfast could be improved. I had an issue one morning, but it was very quickly and professionally handled by the restaurant GM.

The rooms are perfect for working with plenty of desk space and free internet with in touch member sign up. Internet speed was good with no outages during my stay.

Beer and wine happy hour was a welcomed treat after arriving from the office!

Will be staying here many more times and looking forward to it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We love having you and thank you for sending out an amazing review. You made my day!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel considering it is a remodeled Ramada. Make sure you get a room with a window. Service is great. Super clean, nice linens,nice bathrooms. Staff is very friendly and full of info. I have no complaints about my stay here. Price was appropriate considering the area. Definitely would return.

• Stayed February 2013
AssistantGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We look forward to having you back. I know you stayed in February. But come back soon. The weather is getting nice for some POOL TIME!
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 2, 2013

While visiting SMU we landed at the Hotel Lumen and all agreed this is a great hotel. Southern charm abounded from every employee.. from the car valet to front desk to housekeeping. It's a modern, sleek styled hotel, more on the simple side than anything else, but doesn't feel skimpy with its decor. The bathroom is spacious and all white. There is a nice sized glassed in square shower with a large overhead "rain shower" nozzle above. The sink is very large, enough space for two to use at once. Beds are quite comfortable with plenty of pillows. Writing desk is perfectly adequate and closet/drawer space was plentiful. As with most hotels, there were snacks and drinks for purchase, though the prices are always too high for our taste. But the price for the room was terrific, considering the style, comfort and Kimpton brand name association. A really nice touch was the late afternoon complimentary wine served in the lobby. There is a sunken, rectangular plush area that many guests seemed to take advantage of where the wine is served. Nice way to pass some time. Valet parking was $13 overnight, with unlimited in-out privileges. There is a good restaurant adjacent to the lobby. We had room service breakfast delivered from there one morning. The yogurt parfait was delicious and the oatmeal was excellent with marcona almonds, blackberries and brown sugar. The restaurant feels like an upscale coffee shop, but the food is certainly a step above that category. Take the time to go to the rooftop and sit in one of the deck lounge areas for a nice view of the surrounding area. This is a terrific find. I highly recommend it if you are in the Highland Park or University Park area of Dallas. Can't be beat for visiting SMU and looking for walking access to restaurants, shopping and school-related supplies purchases.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Hillcrest Avenue have a view of SMU's campus, otherwise views of commercial di...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Really is my kind of hotel - for one main reason they have really good beds, and that is rare, big and comfortable. Aside from that the location is in a nice & quiet part of Dallas, staff are really friendly, there is a heated pool, I had the gym room to myself, and the restaurant is great. Good value too.
Nothing more I could want.
Plus if you ask nicely they will drive you around in their SUV, up to a 3 mile radius for free - that's great service!

Room Tip: Up high and at the back for quiet and privacy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Norman,OK
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

What a differences aesthetically. The renovations look amazing. Everything is crisp, clean and well appointed. I hate to have to do this because everything else was so great, but I have a pretty big complaint. The room I stayed in was at the rear of the hotel. I could hear people using the dumpster behind the hotel for bottles and other loud objects as well as the dumpster lid was closing loudly. I could also hear people next door and in the hall. They have GOT to work on soundproofing. Everything else with this property is incredible. I'm going to stay here again but I will request a room toward the front of the hotel. I wish I could give it 3.5 stars. It would have been 4.5 if it weren't for all of the noise. Great property, loud rooms in the back of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have been won over by Kimpton by staying at The Lumen. The staff was so attentive and welcoming from my first phone call to book a room with Rachel to helping me place my luggage in my car on the way out. The rooms were wonderful, and the bed was fantastic. I am writing this review almost in protest because I would like to keep this hotel to myself and be sure I can always get a room, but they should be praised for how wonderfully run this hotel truly is. Thank you everyone for your hospitality. I was so wooed by this hotel I have written corporate to praise them.

Room Tip: Book your room directly through the hotel instead of expedia or other travel sites. They will match...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends