$124
$112
HotelIndigo.com
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $133/night.

$99
$106
$98
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of $155/night.

$143
$192
Omni Dallas Hotel(Dallas)
$156
$144
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of $202/night.

Fairmont Dallas(Dallas)
$219
$129
Fairmont.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $145/night.

$145
$105
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $129/night.

$287
$266
Hilton.com
$189
  • Restaurant
All reviewssmu campusrooftop terracehighland parkfree bikesfront deskpark citiesdirectly across the streetcool hotelmini barbush libraryhotel restaurantvisiting dallascar servicelobby areanice poolvalet parkinglarge room
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've been staying at the Lumen when I visit family in Dallas for several years now. The staff is almost universally excellent and the rooms are unique and always clean. Also, the Lumen staff always makes me feel special--which is one of the reasons I prefer to stay in boutique hotels whenever possible. So, this is a favorite hotel, and I will definitely plan to stay again--my problems with in-room dining and with the new restaurant--which made me feel not-so-special--were probably a result of the recent grand opening of the expansion. I really like the hotel's expansion which added a pool, a roof top deck and a new restaurant.
I had booked a double queen room with a balcony for my September 2012 stay, but when I arrived I was assigned a double qeen room with a tall window. Balconies matter to me because my grandson loves them, so I called the front desk and Kaley quickly solved my problem. My balcony room featured modern, soothing decor in shades of brown, the beds were very comfortable, and the entire space was very, very clean. There was a mini fridge in the room with a few sodas and juices--but in this room there were no mini-bar snacks where my grandson could spend my frequent visitor voucher. I did not call the front desk on this because I was beginning to feel like a pain.
At 5 p.m. the hotel offers a wine and cheese lobby gathering for guests. As I headed for the lobby about 5:30, I got off the elevator and was greated by a sign saying half the lobby area was closed for a private event, so guests in my wing of the hotel would have to go outside and around to get to the main lobby. I looked around and I seriously believe the private party could have been accomodated with more privacy and without forcing guests to do a walk-around outside. I saw several guests who were confused and had to go to staff for assistance. At least it wasn't raining and I wasn't dragging luggage.
The wine and cheese reception for guests turned out to be wine and deviled eggs, but the hostess could not have been nicer or more attentive to the dozen or so guests in the lovely new lobby.
On previous stays with Lumen, there were breakfast order door tags in the room allowing the guest to hang an order for room service breakfast the night before. There were no tags, so about 11 p.m. I called room service to leave my a.m. order. I got voice mail several times, with no indication that leaving a message would result in my request being received by room service. I called the front desk and was connected to someone in the restaurant who very cooly informed me that everyone went home and I should try again at 7 a.m. I did so and got the voice mail on each of four attempts. Finally, I again called the front desk, and Kaley tried several times before she was able to get me someone in the in-room dining service. (By the way, Kaley is a real service star and any hotel in the world would be lucky to have her. She is unfailingly cheerful and friendly and always ready to help.) Once someone answered and took my order, I was told that the wait would be 45 minutes, which was okay by me. However, the food actually arrived within 20 minutes and was very nice. (The Lumen adds a $3 service fee for room delivery plus a 20% gratuity. This is fairly common, but the food receipt form that the guest signs has a space for adding a gratuity--so just be aware one is already paying the gratuity in the overall fee.)
My family wanted to eat in the new restaurant at the Lumen, so we made reservations for Saturday night. Once we arrived, we were promptly seated and served water. We were pretty pleased at the lively, attractive surroundings. The restaurant is very light and airy. I can't talk about the food, though, because after sitting at the table for over 15 minutes with a hungry child and without even a greeting from a wait person, we gave up and left. If a wait person had just acknowledged us at all, we would have stayed seated longer.
As I said earlier, this is my favorite Dallas hotel and I am hoping the food service glitches and other little inconsistencies will sort themselves out with time and experience in the new space.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are great except for the hottest months. Best views are in front of the hotel where guests can look over at SMU. The hotel is right on Hillcrest, but traffic noise has never been a problem.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Joy C
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Hotel Lumen is my new favorite Dallas boutique-y hotel! It was very reasonably priced, nestled in SMU's campus and near Highland Park posh. I loved the swanky look and comfy-but-cool ambiance. I stayed in a King suite overlooking the pool and was extremely impressed with the room layout and dreamy bed linens & mattress. The staff was friendly and helpful. The pool was delightful. Nice toiletries, towels, and robes too. I didn't eat in the restaurant much, but the cocktails were tasty.
I'll come back for sure. Next time I'll bring my doggie :)

Room Tip: Ask for a pool-view room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Lumen with my husband and kids. The suite we had was very, very spacious, comfortable and well appointed. The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. The restaurant was great for breakfast, but newly reopened so a little slow on the service...food was yummy, though! The location is superb...right across the street from SMU and in the heart of the Park Cities. They, as all Kimpton Hotels, are very dog friendly! We had our Havanese puppy along and he was comfortable and welcomed. The rooms ate tile and wood, so great for a pet. I just feel sorry for the neighboring homeowners on Granada who have their front yards used by the Lumen guests' dogs.
My only negative is a small one...the sheets are so scratchy and rough, but I had my own pillow so that helped.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is a great hotel in the Park Cities area of Dallas. The rate is reasonable, the rooms and hotel has been newly renovated. I love the atmosphere! The restaurant The Front Room is new and the food is amazing! I have booked this hotel again for a second visit on business to Dallas. I would highly recommend staying at The Lumen!

Room Tip: Love the corner rooms!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for a hotel close to SMU I strongly recommend this hotel. It has been recently renovated and the rooms are spacious and new. I loved the ipod docking clock radio, the huge shower, the large flat screen tv and the new "smell"! The food at the restaurant was excellent and the staff was incredibly accommodating. I will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012