All reviewssmu campusrooftop terracefree bikesfront deskpark citiesdirectly across the streetcool hotelmini barbush libraryhotel restaurantvisiting dallascar servicelobby areanice poolvalet parkinglarge roommile radius
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Hotel Lumen was very welcoming. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We spent the day on campus and were allowed to keep our car parked in the garage. Our room was spacious (especially the bathroom) and comfortable, with free wifi, two flat screens, and a kitchenette (refrigerator, microwave, and full kitchen sink) but no dishes, silverware, etc.. The style is more minimal (which we appreciate) but may not be for everyone. Our room also had a balcony, which provided a pretty view of the campus and surrounding neighborhood. The late night room service menu was limited (soup, sandwiches) and of average quality. Continental breakfast (included in our room) was good - coffee was great (in the lobby). They are building a new wing and pool.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
AssistantGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Hello,
Thank you so much for taking time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and also that you enjoyed the convenince to SMU as well as our Kimpton InTouch Program which gave you the items from your Mini Bar.
We look forward to having you back again.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

I found the hotel staff to be very pleasant; most importantly the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. My room 225, was acceptable the design was a bit odd. The shower, sink and toilet were not located in one area, the toilet is in a closet sized room, the shower faces the sleeping area and the sink is just right of the door as you enter. I prefer that all the bathroom components are located in the same room not spread throughout. Also I found the shower to be lack luster it looks like car wash with multiple heads, the problem is there is not enough water pressure to use it properly. The main head barely produces any pressure and is much colder than the other heads, this issue was brought to Rachel’s attention but they were not able to fix. Additionally, the closet was exceptionally small not barely enough to hold one suit and a couple shirts.

A friend of mine was staying on the fourth floor where he had a bedroom, proper bathroom and a nice balcony with two chairs. Not sure how this room cost but I think it would be worth the increase.

Overall my stay was not bad nor was it great.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for posting on Tripadvisor. This is truly a way for us to see what we do right and what we can improve on. I truly believe that all opinions are good opinions. I hope that you will return and on your next visit and that we will be able to place you in a room that will have the bathroom components that you like as you stated being all in one area. The rooms on our 4th floor are our suites and you can request that the next time you make a reservation. I know that Rachel was trying to assit with the shower and I hope that you will see on your next visit that has been taken care of. Please feel free to reach out to us before your next visit so we can make sure all of your items are addressed. Again thank you for taking the time to post on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

According to the locals, this is a great location in Dallas. Nice hotel, comfortable rooms, got one with a balcony which was a plus. Nice bar, nice restaurant, nice people. Especially the doggy in reception! Interesting mix of stuff in the mini bar! To get free internet use, you need to sign up as a lumen hotel member which also gives you a free pick in the mini bar. Nice touch.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
AssistantGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Hello,
Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. We are so glad thay you enjoyed your stay and I am thrilled that you enjoyed our Bar, Restaurant and our "nice people'. So I guess it sounds like you got to meet Jackie who is our Director of Pet Relations. Jackie does enjoy meeting our guests and our Pet Guests as well. It is nice to hear that you also enjoyed your Kimpton InTouch benefit of the Mini Bar. We are delighted you had a great stay and we look forward to having you back with us soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

The staff at the Lumen are outstanding. Felipe, the valet has been there since day one and remembered us from several years ago. Andrew at the front desk couldn't be nicer. Susan, the bartender at Social is most entertaining and interesting. The hotel warmly accepts pets and consequently all the guests seem friendlier. My favorite room is #411, a suite with a wraparound balcony on the southeast corner of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Thank you so much for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. I will make sure that Felipe, Andrew and Susan check out your posting to see there name in "Lights" It is so nice to know that they made such a great impression on your stay. I will reach out to them personally to thank each of them. We look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at the Lumen for a week for about the 7th or 8th year. The Hotel is nice. Some of the rooms are bit odd since it is a remodeled "motor court" type of facility. This time I had the worst room I've ever had. It had one tiny window that overlooked the construction site (the hotel is expanding and the new part is scheduled for completion next spring). The window was tiny and dirty so the room seemed claustrophobic. It only had a double bed. There was no closet, just a wardrobe that was not large enough to hold a week's worth of business clothes. But the hotel is clean, pretty quiet, and the employees are, to a person, pleasant and accomodating. The restaurant, Social, is good but probably not worth the prices!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Hello,
I first of all thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor and secondly I am sad to hear you did not have the most enjoyable stay while you were here with us. Yes we are expanding and of course do know that this may cause a bit of a view issue from the rooms during this time but we do look forward to the view of the pool those rooms will have once completed. In the futre please feel free to reach out to us before making your reservation or even after so we can make sure we have you in a room that is perfect for you and for your complete week stay. We truly enjoy having you with us and we want to make sure you are happy during your stay. Thank you!