“attractive museum, worth a visit”

The Sixth Floor Museum
Ranked #2 of 251 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located on the sixth floor of the Dallas County Administration Building (formerly the Texas School Book Depository) from which Oswald fired those infamous shots, this historic exhibition chronicles the life, times, assassination and legacy of President John F. Kennedy. Online ticketing is now available through our website.
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Fantastic museum about JKF and his death in Dallas. The museum is well organized, full of information, datas, pictures,witnesses' records, as well as you can see the sixth floor window where the bullets were shot.
this museum is popular that there is always a long line at the main entrance, be aware of be there in advance.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,563)
All reviews
"american history"
in 227 reviews
"president kennedy"
in 185 reviews
"texas school book depository"
in 144 reviews
in 86 reviews
"his life"
in 80 reviews

Reviewed January 15, 2013

The visitor to this museum receives an audio set which guides one around the place. There are large placards with photos and explanations throughout. In one part of the museum is a small sitting area with a video which plays over and over again. Photos are not allowed on the 6th floor. However, they are allowed on the 7th floor but there is not much there. I didn't learn anything from this place that I didn't already know because there are numerous books, films, etc about the assassination. The only good part about it is that it is located in the book depository from where Oswald shot Kennedy. The area where he is suppose to have fired the fatal shots is enclosed in glass. On the 7th floor, one can photograph the area where JFK's auto was traveling when he was shot.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Let me just state that i had no previous education or knowledge about JFK and his death. All i knew, was that he'd been assinated. I didn't even know it had happened in Dallas. With that being said, i ended up loving this place and being so interested that this became one of my favourite places i visited in America. We only visited in the first place because we had nothing else to do in Dallas for 3 days and i'm so so glad we went.
We did the headset tour and there is so much information available i had to keep pausing my headset so that i could read all of the info boards and look at all of the displays. You get to go around at your own pace and i learned a lot. For those people who don't know, this museum is where JFK was actually shot. You get to walk up to the window that the shooter fired from, and you over look the road where JFK was hit as he drove by. They have even marked the exact spot on the road with crosses so you can see exactly where he was shot. It's all rather sad to see aswel, after all this is where a man lost his life, but still it's very very interesting and i 100% reccomend it.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Really enjoyed my visit here, from someone who didn't really know that much about JFK and his time as president through to his assassination, I now feel like I have a much greater knowledge. I spent about 3 hours here, listening to the audio, reading every piece of information and watching the video snippets and I found it so interesting and so informative. The audio is well presented and easy to follow directing you to each step at your own pace with the chance to repeat if you feel you missed something.....the layout of the museum is all on the one floor and its quite surreal to be stood there at the window were the assassin took Kennedy's life......it really takes you back and puts you in the moment......I wasn't even born when this happened but after the visit I really feel like I lived though that moment.......it's definitely a must see if your visiting Dallas. The opening hours were 10am - 6pm not sure about weekends??? It cost me $16 and it was money well spent. I went at 11am on a Thursday and there was no line and the place had a steady flow but was not crowded, it was perfect. There is also a souvenir shop downstairs, then across the road another larger store with a coffee shop. Outside you can see the spot were the the car was when the fatal shot was fired, it's marked with an X lots of people taking pictures, then a few blocks down from the museum is the JFK memorial. Overall a great visit, enjoyed it very much.