“Should Have Been Excellent”
Review of Eagleford

Eagleford
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Cuero
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
The Woodlands, Texas
“Should Have Been Excellent”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

First of all, this restaurant is in Cuero, not the most cosmopolitan of small Texas towns. The dining room is small, tables are well situated but the sound level is fairly loud. I made a reservation for hubby, myself and our adult son on New Year's Eve for 9pm. Promptly at 9:00 we were shown to our table. Our waitress was attentive and the service was excellent. My hubby’s and son’s meals were enjoyable and so were their appetizers. My appetizer was unappealing as I do not like canned fish in sauce. The smoked mussels sat on tiny corn pancakes that were very tasty. When my surf and turf meal arrived, being the most expensive plate on the menu, I was expecting spectacular. I must admit the steak was done to perfection but when I poked the crab stuffed lobster, it was not tender. I cut into the middle and it was raw. I couldn’t find my waitress so I called a waiter over and told him I like my steak still mooing but I want my lobster cooked through. He took the plate back to the kitchen with apologies. Within a few minutes he returned with a much smaller version of the turf part of my meal and I again cut into it to make sure it was cooked. To my surprise the outside was rubbery and difficult to cut and the inside was still translucent. This eatery is trying to be a 4 star restaurant and to re-heat a customer’s food, no matter what technique is used, is unprofessional. To serve it undercooked, TWICE, is just bad business. I had been miffed because I could not find my waitress until I found out why. The billing program they use had crashed and she was desperately trying to re-bill everything so the customers that were finished eating could pay and leave. Somehow she had been blamed because she was not available to take care of my uncooked meal. Really? You blame the waitress because the chef sends out inedible food? When the chef came out with an indignant attitude to defend his reheating technique, my son, who had been a general manager of a large restaurant, spoke up. The proper response should have been for the chef to admit to the mistake, apologize and invite the customer to return. We did not pay for the inedible food and left the restaurant smiling only because our waitress and her friendly manner convinced us that it was worth another visit.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Rebekajean

Belgrade, Montana
“The price should justify a better experience”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Eagleford, owned by Geosouthern Energy’s COE and founder, George Bishop is a restored mildly Victorian residence turned restaurant in “downtown” Cuero, TX. The restoration is top-notch, but lacks any type of period detail or flavor. It comes off as sort of vanilla. In general the Eagleford tries very hard to be four star but falls short at two or three stars. Why? Because it tries too hard in some places and misses the mark in others.

Food: The food is just ok. It costs four star, but while eating what should have been sumptuous steak, I was wishing I had a cheeseburger from the nearby Bahnhof diner. All the courses looked the part, but lacked essential flavor, like salt and pepper, and had too much “exotic” seasoning, like marinating oils.

Service: The wait staff is friendly and lively, especially if you like local character (jokes with diner suite you? How about the galls being called “my lady” all through dinner?). But the time from ordering to delivering the final course was on the order of geologic. Continents moved faster than the food. In our group of 12, some were finished with their meal before the last food was served to others.

Drink: A full bar is shoehorned next to the bathrooms and patio downstairs. It is well stocked, has beer on tap, and knowledgeable staff. But the quarters are a tad tight. The bar is better than expected for this type of restaurant.

Atmosphere: This is the one place where this restaurant could have been so awesome, but isn’t. A restored Victorian Mansion. Should be cool, right? It’s just so unimaginative. High-end materials and clean solid craftsmanship with no flair. I guarantee your chain hotel has more atmosphere in the its lobby than the Eagleford.

The Eagleford: http://www.theeaglefordrestaurant.com

The Eagleford is by far the “nicest” restaurant in Cuero. But it’s all a mater of what’s important to you. Good food prepared in a reasonable time in a lively fun environment? Maybe you could find that for a quarter of the price down the street…

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank AdmiralNahohkta
Victoria, TX
“Totally loved everything about it!!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

We stopped by at 8:00 pm on a week night, while driving through Cuero. We were promptly greeted at the door and escorted to a nice table in one of the 2 dining rooms. There is also a bar area with tables, and a patio area. Absolutely gorgeous interior decorating and design. Couldn't help but notice a few things that are seldom seen in this part of the state, such as charger plates and a crumb brush! :) Service was far above anything I've ever experienced in this area of the state as well -- well trained staff that anticipates but isn't unnecessarily present. And then there was the food! Yes - it's expensive; check the website for prices is this is a concern, but you won't find a comparable dining experience outside of a major city. Fresh hot bread with creamy butter served with drinks. Wonderful wine list. The oysters were delicious. The salads were crisp, fresh, and flavorful. The redfish was fabulous. The menu has a variety of appetizers, soups, and salads, a couple of pastas, and a variety of seafood and steaks. I truly hope the area is able to support such a wonderful addition to Cuero. This restaurant has great potential; the prices are well justified by the atmosphere, service, and food quality. Looking forward to a return visit very soon!!

Been to Eagleford? Share your experiences!