“freshest seafood ever”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed December 15, 2010

My family lives in Galveston, and a trip to Stingaree's is at the top of the list of "must-do" events. It is not just the food, it is the whole experience. To get there from Galveston you have to ride the Boliver ferry. It is a car ferry that you drive onto, then they cross the Houston Ship Channel. Plan on getting out of your car, as you almost always see dolphins.

The food is the best. The restaurant owns its own oyster beds in East Bay, so your oysters were probably picked the same day as you ate them. Their crabs are local too. Barbecue crab is awesome, as is the shrimp grilled with a honey-jalepeno glaze. I've never had anything I didn't love.

The restaurant is located along the Intracoastal waterway, so you will probably see barge traffic passing by. Plan to head over late afternoon so you can catch the sunset over the bay.

Reviewed December 9, 2010

Three words: BBQ Crab! By far my most favorite restaurant in the Galveston Bay area. From the Dallas, Texas area and been going there for over 25 years and I'm not even 40, yet. Everything there has always been great. Nice to sit over looking the waterway and watch barges and fishing boats go by after a great day out on the water. The Stingaritas are extra yummy. Great food with good sized portions. Always fresh and fair priced. Only one bad experience in my many, many times being there. With that said, the manager did everything he could and more to remedy the situation. Go once and you'll go for 25+ years, too. Glad you guys survived Ike!

Reviewed November 5, 2010

We go fishing 3-4 times a year in Galveston Bay and always dock the boat and have lunch here. Always good fresh seafood and a fun place to eat.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

This restaurant is always one of our stops when we visit Galveston. The seafood is always fresh and the portions are good. I agree that the service wasn't as friendly this time. They were definitely busy though!

Our meals were good. The kid's popcorn shrimp was enough to feed a hungry adult. The biggest dissappointment was the desserts. We tried two different items (key lime pie and pecan pie). Both were served still frozen - you could see the frost coming off of them. Considering the key lime pie was advertised all over the restaurant, I was expecting something good - not something I could buy out of the frozen section of a grocery store.

1  Thank KarinFrisco
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We always have to eat here, great food, great service! We LOVE it!!! We have been coming here together for over 23yrs but my husband has for over 42yrs! Soooo happy the stingaree outlasted Ike! Love them!!!!