“Best Seafood Meal on The Bolivar Peninsula”

Stingaree Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Beaumont, Texas
“Best Seafood Meal on The Bolivar Peninsula”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

The Crystal Beach/Bolivar Peninsula continues to make a comeback from 2008 Hurricane Ike. The Stingaree Restaurant and Bar continues to be the pearl in this oyster. Just spent a vacation week in Crystal Beach and dined here twice. We were happy with our visits. They will also cook the fish that you catch.

• Visited July 2011

Guthrie, Oklahoma
“Best meal of our trip.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We found Stingaree's after taking the ferry ride from Galveston. I'm so glad we did! It turned out to be our favorite meal during the week in Galveston. I had the Jamaican jerk shrimp with dirty rice. It was awesome! My husband had a seafood platter and he loved it. The portion sizes were very generous. The menu was great and offered so many choices. I was very pleased with the kid's menu as well. My daughter had stuffed crab and my son had the catfish. My sister-in-law and her family were with us and they chose burgers and chicken strips for lunch, since they don't eat fish or seafood. She said the burgers were very good. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the service was great also. There were so many things on the menu that we wanted to try so I hope we can eat there again someday!

• Visited July 2011
Houston, Texas
“If you're on Bolivar, check them out...Great Sunsets!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

Was here twice last weekend during our most recent trip to Bolivar. Sat night we had planned to hop over to Galveston for dinner, but the ferry wait was much longer than we had expected. Decided to try Stingaree's- the wait was an hour, but the time was easily passed downstairs w/ a couple of drinks. We were seated exactly when we were told to expect a table, & the service was pretty good. They were REALLY busy, but we felt our server did a good job. Ordered the fried crawfish as an app, came out pretty quickly, was yummy. The basket of garlic toast that they give you (like a bread basket) were nothing special, almost stale... We ordered the broiled seafood platter & the Trio/Combo, where you choose your seafood from a list (went w/ BBQ shrimp, fried shrimp, & stuffed crab). It took about an hour to get
our meals, but the food was terrific! Only complaint was that the crabs
on the platter were kinda small, so
the meat was hard to get to- not a
bad thing, just a "heads up"! Went
back Sunday evening to watch the
sunset. They have a nice little deck
area...but they don't serve outside!
We had to order drinks @ the bar &
carry them out to our table. No
biggie, except that food is the
same- when we got hungry, we just
went on inside & sat @ the bar... Had the bounden balls- which were awesome, then called it a night... Great place, wish they served on the patio!!!

Keller, Texas
“kinda greasy, staff confused.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

I made the long ferry trip to Crystal Beach from Galveston on my friends recommendation. I was a nice trip and decent food, but not necessarily worth the effort.

Starters. We had Boudin Balls, which were really good and the highlight of our meal. These were worth the price. We had to PAY for hushpuppies (just under 3.00) which i found ridiculous. But hubby has to have them, they came out irritatingly as an appy also which isnt what we meant to happen. (they serve toasted crouton type crackers that were tasteless and hard in a bread basket.)

Main courses. Grilled seafood platter. My son was very very disappointed that the shrimp were grilled with thier shells and legs on. The catfish was over cooked and quite chewy which was disappointing. The blue crab is a lot of work for the meat, and the fact you get one crab..well...blue crab isnt my fave lol.

Fried seafood platter, waitress didnt tell me she didnt have oysters and gave us extra cat fish (she said she gave us extra shrimp but we only got 4 shrimp so obviuosly not any extra shrimp) we had a ton of catfish. We asked our waitress to please have them fry the fish extra crispy..very very crispyl Needless to say it didnt get eaten due to the fact the fish came soggy and NOT crispy. my onlion rings were yummy but came out cool, not hot. I didnt eat them either. THE HIGHLIGHT, THE FRIED SHRIMP WAS TO DIE FOR! If i ever do come back, its fried shrimp all the way. The ettoufee was delishes (the crawfish)...the ettoufee with shrimp (on grilled meal) had the viens in the shrimp, and that to me is just gross lol. Its POOP...not for human consumption ick!

I'd eat there again if it was more convienent, but i'd keep it to fried shrimp, which was worth the price. It was the best gulf fresh fried shrimp i'd ever eaten. Coleslaw and bourdin balls were also highlights!!!

On bad note, our waitress [...]. I think she was new so we tipped 15% anyway, but we never got dessert, we never had refills and we had to ask other servers for help when needed. Plus she messed up the fish and oyster issue.

• Visited June 2011
“Worth the trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

Bread pudding is out of this world and the seafood is cooked to perfection. Best meal we have had on our trip to Galveston and prices are so reasonable!