“Over-rated”

Dining options: Breakfast
Crowley, Texas
“Over-rated”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stopped here to get lunch/snacks on our way to Galveston. My husband had the chicken salad sandwich, that he said was just okay. I had a a piece of apricot pie. Now, my expectations were high for the pie. They ARE a bakery, no less! It was just okay. Tasted like you could have bought it at your local grocery store bakery.

• Visited January 2013

Corsicana, Texas
“Always good”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

the original store, My fav is the cookies. You cant find a fresh backed cookie anywhere that is better! The Cherry icebox cookies are my favs. Fresh Fruit pies, the apricot is great! Pastries are great.

Visited September 2012
“It bothered them that we were there”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The staff acted as if it was a chore to serve us. It is a cafeteria-style restaurant with pre-made (very, very small) sandwiches and mediocre soup. I would have thought that such a well-known bakery would have outstanding cookies and muffins. They tasted like day-old bakery goods brought to the restaurant from the actual downtown bakery. It looks great from the outside and the decor is nice inside, but I'll got the the big box restaurant across the parking lot next time.

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank Catkeisson
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Texas size Rip Off”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

the pie was stale with very poor, slow service, aggressive attitude. i will not retract or sanitize this review a horrible experience.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Rick_M829
Modesto, California
“Good Eatin' in Texas: The Fruitcake”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I were visiting my sister in Texas this summer and as we were driving from Houston to Fort Worth my sister said, “You have to see this little fruitcake bakery. It’s been there since 1896.” She described a quaint, old fashioned place, with nice ladies who give you samples of fruitcake – fruitcake that will forever change your opinion of that much maligned dessert.
“You will never think of fruitcake the same way,” Patti told us.
After some confusion we found Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, but it was not as my sister remembered it. Her face was a study in disappointment. I think she was ready to cry. The cute old fashioned bakery had expanded to become a bright, pretty restaurant with chic little tables, and gleaming shelves with a variety of baked goods. There was even a young man behind the counter making specialty coffees and frappes. Frappes for goodness sake!
“This is just like any other fancy new restaurant,” Patti mourned. “It’s changed.”
Sadly we walked out the door, and headed toward the car.
“Hey, wait a minute! Where you all goin’?” We stopped and looked back. We were being pursued by a young man with a wide grin, his hands full of tissue-wrapped cookies. “You can’t leave without tasting some of my cookies!”
We stood there a little uncomfortably, and explained that we had stopped to see the quaint little bakery store Patti had visited a few years ago. And we had wanted to try a sample of fruitcake. But it was all new and modern…
“I can give you samples,” he insisted, holding out his hands.
“Well, it’s not that we just wanted samples,” I awkwardly tried to explain. “My sister was just telling us about this wonderful old fashioned bakery, and it’s all changed since the last time she was here…”
“Well yeah, it’s changed, but it’s better. I’m the manager here. We still got good fruitcake. You all come back in and I’ll fix you right up!”
Holding our cookies and laughing, we followed George back into the store. “Here we go again,” Patti whispered. It seemed that we were eating our way across the state of Texas.
George introduced us to David, the frappe-maker, (who gave us a sample) and then he disappeared. He returned a moment later carrying three plates, each with samples of several kinds of fruitcake. He explained what each of them was, how it was made, and what makes it different from other fruitcakes. Barbara, one of the employees stood nearby cracking up and shaking her head, “George will fix you right up. We can give you a sample of anything you want. Everybody loves our fruitcake.”
And we did. The only problem was keeping track of which was which; and which we would want to buy.
George asked us if we’d like a tour of the bakery part of the operation, and of course we were thrilled. He led us into the large room with long conveyer belts. He explained that workers stand there decorating the fruitcakes. Every fruitcake has to be just so – with exactly the right number of perfectly placed cherries or pecans etc. I wish we could have seen the lines in full production! (I couldn’t help thinking about Lucy and Ethel…)
Fruitcakes are not being baked right now in the hot summer months, but production will begin in October and continue through January.
Thousands of fruitcakes that are shipped to more than 200 countries around the world.
In the restaurant we had seen an enlarged picture of a postcard they received in 1979 from a customer in Norway. It was addressed to “Fruitcake Texas”. Apparently, even with that minimal address, the card had reached Collin Street Bakery and the Norwegian lady was able to get the fruitcake she wanted for her grandmother in Eidsvoll.
George told us that Queen Elizabeth II is one of their best customers. She purchases one thousand of their deluxe fruitcakes every Christmas.
Princess Grace of Monaco was a good customer, and now her daughter, Caroline is carrying on the tradition.
Collin Street Bakery also provides fruitcake for Madison Square Gardens, the Hilton Hotel Chain, and many others.
With so many thousands of fruitcakes flying across the country and around the world they need to have a big oven, and George was proud to point it out to us – an oven that can bake over 4,000 fruitcakes at a time.
It made my head spin! “I think I need a cup of coffee,” I told John and Patti as we followed George back to the main part of the store. “Does anyone feel like a cup of coffee – or even a frappe?”
We said goodbye to George and his friendly staff, and thanked them for their hospitality. We promised to look them up Facebook and to tell all of our friends that you haven’t really tasted fruitcake until you have had one from Collin Street Bakery.

• Visited August 2012