“It couldn't get much better”

Giovanni's Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Copperas Cove, Texas
“It couldn't get much better”
Reviewed November 30, 2010

My wife and I are regular patrons of Giovanni's, and both of us would agree that this place stands out as one of the best Italian restaurants in central Texas. One can count on good service and a great meal for a moderate price. Although the restaurant's strip mall ambience was somewhat lacking, its new location in a brand new building should more than compensate. The traditional dishes are superb, but I highly recommend Giovanni's steak dishes, particularly the ribeye marsala. Fantastico!

“Wonderful Italian dinner!”
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I have had dinner at Giovanni's in Copperas Cove twice, and loved it both times! Their pasta primavera is the best I have ever had. The salad and bread were excellent, and we had spumoni cheesecake for dessert, which was different and delicious!

Giovanni's is in a small shopping center and doesn't look like much from the outside, but the inside is comfortable, they have great service and wonderful food! I wish I lived closer so I could go there all the time!

Texas
“OK Italian Food. Not the best, but good enough.”
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Not many choices in Copperas Cove. This restaurant is located in a fairly large strip-mall shopping area and the decoration shows it. Typical suspended ceiling with some droopy tiles. Decor needs updating, but I was there for the food.

Ordered the Caprese salad appetizer, pasta fagioli soup, and the 'pasta sampler' which is manicotti, canneloni and lasagna. Sounds great, and I was really pumped to find a Caprese salad available since it is one of my favorites. Took a while for the Caprese to get there and I was a bit disappointed to find the plate at room temperature. This salad really needs a chilled plate to keep the greens fresh and crunch. That said, the greens were fresh and lightly dressed with oil, the Roma tomatoes were just a touch off ripe (some yellow showing on the inside - not much) and the mozzarella was cleanly sliced and just a touch watery. 7 out of 10 on the Caprese.

Unfortunately, the young waitress had no clue about timing courses. The soup came almost immediately after the Caprese. It had plenty of beans and pasta and a good flavor if a little salty. 8 of 10 on the pasta fagioli.

Again with the speedy courses. The main came while I still had both soup and salad on the table. Sigh. This pasta sampler was served all together in a smallish oven-safe crockery and the sauce was still bubbling as it hit the table. VERY HOT DISH. All three pastas were covered with the same sauce and the same melted (molten?) cheese. The waitress asked if I wanted "parmesan" and I did, so I received the little shaker jar with powdered "parmesan" cheese. No shaved Parmigiana. I was hoping for at least Olive-Garden level, at least with the cheese, but got Pizza Hut. I was unable to differentiate the canneloni from the manicotti, either visually or by taste. The lasagna was decipherable because it stood higher than the others and had a bit of a meat sauce. Disappointing entree, 5 of 10.

All said, if you want Italian food in Copperas Cove it is not such a bad deal. Your option is to drive the 11 miles to Olive Garden in Killeen.

1 Thank ETXEMS
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Swift service, good Italian food. Accomodates groups easily. The freshly baked bread is worth going for itself.”
Reviewed November 9, 2008