“Slightly better than average food, sub-par decor”

Szechuan Chinese Restaurant and Club
Ranked #18 of 66 Restaurants in Copperas Cove
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Lewisville, Texas
“Slightly better than average food, sub-par decor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

My wife and I drove out to Copperas Cove to try this restaurant, based on previous good reviews. We were not disappointed in our food or service, but were also not impressed. The restaurant is located in a strip mall off of highway 190.

There were a very large number of people waiting for takeout orders and just a few dining in. The older woman running the cash register was very, very busy answering the phone, taking payments and running (literally) back to the kitchen for take out orders. The entire time we were there, we only saw one server - who informed us that this was normal staffing. Nevertheless, she was an excellent server and the food came out after about 20 minutes.

The decor is quite plain and austere - but clean. For a Szechuan restaurant, I saw no hot sauce jars on any tables. (They also don't offer chopsticks, that I could see.) The hot and sour soup was a bit thin with too much pepper, but acceptable. We had the lo mein, which was very good, fried dumplings (filling very good - dough was a bit oily and thick), and orange chicken (way too much batter - but sauce was good.)

My wife and I have eaten at dozens of Chinese restaurants in many cities and countries. For a small town, this may be better than average - but overall, it was bare bones with slightly better than average food. If you live nearby, I would suggest it. As we live 30 miles away - it would not be worth a return trip.

• Visited January 2012

“Great place to eat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

Friendly, good service, great food, clean. We always take any family that comes to visit there.

Kempner, Texas
“Awsome Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

I really love dinning at this place. The staff is always super nice. The food is delicious, and it is now my favorite place to eat.

• Visited June 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great Chinese Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

I really enjoy this restaurant. I was introduced to it by a friend who grew up in the area. The owners are so nice and friendly. On my third visit, the owner asked me, "Do you want what you usually have?" I couldn't believe that on my third visit I had a "usual!" The food is great and you get it quickly. Great place!!!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Friendly family dining... or take-out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2008

Friendly family dining... or take-out!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook