“Scenic and pretty but...”
Review of Landgrove Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Landgrove
Landgrove Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Landgrove B&B and Inns
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Scenic and pretty but...”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is my second stay at Landgrove Inn in two years. I had the same experience both times where unlike some reviewers I did not get the warm welcome. Maybe it's cause I have children. I personally love the dirt roads and the scenery and the Inn from the outside and the front is beautiful. It may not be your thing though. It's old and rustic. The Inn is in need of repair but that does not really bother me. The room we stayed in was old with old furnishing but I thought it was quaint. If slanted floors are a turnoff you would not like it. The shower -you could barely fit in..but the water was hot and the pressure was good and it was fine. Speaking of the shower, they gave me one small bottle of shampoo. I had 4 people in room/suite, I asked for a second tiny bottle and was told by cleaning staff that "most people bring their own shampoo". It was rude. And speaking of rude, I was told a "full country breakfast" was included and it was from a small selection. Breakfast was served from 8 until 9:30am. Ok, we are usually up, but my husband was just recovering from surgery and he was depressed and tired and in pain so he wasn't going to make the 9:30. They did allow me to bring it up to his room...Well we got down to breakfast, me and kids, at 8:30 and we were told by staff that we were the last ones down and that today they "started breakfast early" and were ending at 9 instead of 9:30....The waitress was just so patronizing and I really was rushed by her. She kept saying she had to get table ready for dinner. we were in and out in 12 minutes...i did not tip her. I don't know if I was supposed to...The pool - the pool. One reason we chose the Inn was they had a pool. Forget it - I tried to skim that pool for about 20 minutes to get the bugs out. My kids were dying to swim but even they couldn't get past the living worms we saw swimming around and the amount of dirt and yuck in the pool. Sorry but it was gross and again, the pool was in major need of repair. Now, having said all that this is not the type of inn to go to if you want modern conveniences. There are no phones and forget cell service..The internet on my laptop worked well though. On the positive side you are a short drive to many things to do. The location of the inn is wonderful to me, peaceful and pretty. After two nights and a second rushed breakfast and the patronizing waitress again I just wanted to leave. The owner was kind enough and allowed me to check out. I offered to pay for part of the day because it was last minute...and I kind of felt bad. But the rain was really bothering my husbands' back and that combined with feeling bad for the shampoo just made me uncomfortable. We go on a lot of road trips but twice at Landgrove and both times I felt uncomfortable and I am sorry to say that because I would like to like the place. But I won't stay here again and the strangest thing is I don't think they would want me back. And I've never felt that way about a place I have stayed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary Anne M
Ownertom, Owner at Landgrove Inn, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
We're sorry that Maryanne and her family did not thoroughly enjoy their recent stay at The Landgrove Inn. We can appreciate how difficult it is for her to travel with her family when she has to do all the entertaining herself. She told me it puts a lot of stress on her and I do understand. Also, with all the other guests at the inn at that time we were very busy and unfortunately not aware of any problems. Since they never ate in our dining room we never did get a chance to interact with the family. When she left we were told it was due to her husband's medical condition which we took at face value.
When she came to breakfast the first morning at 8:45 and asked what time we serve until she was told 9:30 to which she replied, "He'll never be up by then", so we let her bring breakfast back to her room for her husband who never did get out of bed the whole time. Certainly his prerogative. I cook breakfast so I was there. Not that we mind if a guest stays in bed all day, but it did create a problem for housekeeping servicing the room. That may explain the shampoo, since they weren't able to gain access since he was sleeping all the time.. I'm not sure what to say about the pool. It was open all summer and we haven't heard any other complaints, keeping in mind the upkeep of a pool at a country inn in the heart of the Green Mountains is very different than a pool in a Connecticut suburb. The wind blows here constantly and does deposit things in the pool which we constantly skim, though not always in the rain. It's also hard for some of the local creatures to discern the pool from our nearby trout pond.
We can only hope that we have the opportunity to host Maryanne and her family under better circumstances in the future and change her impression of The Landgrove Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Revisiting the Landgrove Inn after a gap of some 20 years, and nothing had changed ( with a few exceptions) . It is still a rustic country hideaway in the heart of the Vermont countryside providing a peaceful location. The Inn has new owners since I last visited and Tom and Maureen have upheld the tradition of the previous incumbents, but have added a few touches of their own ( a complete artists studio with visiting lecturers is proving very popular). After checking in and being shown round by Tom, it was unpacking followed by a pre- dinner drink at their honesty bar. Then a wholesome meal of Crab Bisque followed by Herb Crusted Telapia , while I had Chicken Caprese. Their chef had done a fine job and we left the table replete.
A wonderfully peaceful nights sleep was followed by a delicious Vermont breakfast ( the blueberry pancakes were particularly good).
So we left the Landgrove Inn rested, well fed and happy in the knowledge that the " soul of Vermont" was maintaining its rustic charm.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank shorrock41
Maine
Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you like a busy city life with clubs & bars...This place is not for you...But if you like art and nature this is a fantastic place really! It was one of my best trips! Just half a mile from the National Forest...I took a walk and it was just lovely! Horses...Bird singing...Morning breeze...& the sound of the stream...It was just lovely!
And the innkeeper...Tom...Just as fantastic as his inn and his chef! He's so warm and down to earth! I feel like a friend of his instead of just an inn patron...And his chef! Oh my Lord! Menu changes everyday and it can stand with the dishes at a top 5-star restaurant in Boston! I'm serious!
And the price! You can't beat it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SWildC
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We spent a wonderful (and wet!) weekend at the Landgrove. The innkeeper, Tom, is terrific- accommodating, warm and efficient, as is the lovely staff. The inn itself is spacious, super clean, and rooms are very nicely decorated. Several larger rooms offer jacuzzi tubs. We were with friends from our cycling club and shared good food and drink and had a great time. During better weather there are numerous walks and bike rides nearby. And potters, artists, cute country stores and various other shopping venues. I would recommend to all and hope to be back soon!

• Stayed May 2013
vermont
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Landgrove Inn in Landgrove, VT is spectacularly charming with clean airy rooms, fabulous food and places to bike or walk that take you into the heart of charming Vermont. Tom and Maureen couldn't be nicer and more gracious. The inn offers workshops by some of the finest artists in the country as well.

Room Tip: The deluxe room is well worth the price with king size bed, Jacuzzi tub as well as a shower, lots of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Belmont, VT
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We actually live up here and still find this restaurant, menu and venue the top place to go. The owners are welcoming, friendly and engage with guests. The atmosphere is warm and just what you dream of when you envision a VT experience. The tap room is trimmed out in warm wood hues with a fireplace and plenty of niches to sit and converse, the dining room intimate and the food top notch. We pinch ourselves at the end of every dinner and evening here and say "Are we lucky or what?" Please treat yourself and give the Landgrove Inn a try...I can say without exception you will NOT be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
East Orleans, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We travelled to the Landgrove to join a large Cape Cod group at the Inn. Though the weather reports pre-trip suggested no snow, this area got a foot of the fluffy stuff the day before we arrived. Perfect timing. The Innkeeper's were great, our room was spacious, and included two great reading armchairs. There was always a fire in the cast iron stove in the lounge, and chili warming on the stove nearby, to fortify us between rounds of cross country in the morning and snowshoeing in the afternoon. With a group of 16, we had arranged both breakfast and dinner as part of the fare. Given the high quality of the food, ordering off the menu, and the warmth of the Inn and its hosts, this three night visit (with snow) was very good, and a bargain. I understand their Arts Workshops also attract increasing numbers of visiting painters.

Room Tip: We had room #15 on the second floor. It was quite roomy, had two beds, and good window light...since...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lordrob44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landgrove
The INN at Willow Pond
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#1 of 16 in Manchester
The Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant

Been to Landgrove Inn? Share your experiences!