“The Essence of Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Landgrove Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Landgrove
Landgrove Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Landgrove B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“The Essence of Hospitality”
Reviewed April 1, 2011

We went to Vermont on a whim, and were referred to The Landgrove Inn by a colleague at work who has been staying there since he was a kid, over 40 years. He takes his family there 3 to 4 times every winter and suggested we check it out. From the moment we entered and were greeted by a lovely Swedish woman with a welcoming smile, the Inn was a very warm, friendly place. Everyone from the woman at the front desk to the waitresses at breakfast and dinner to the owners themselves who are always around, everyone was so friendly and seemed to enjoy just being there. I was amazed how they knew everyone's name from the kids to the adults. I thought it was because they all seemed to stay there frequently until I was greeted by name at breakfast. We stayed in room #19 which was very comfortable, clean, nicely appointed and warm. It was all we needed for our weekend stay. Most of the activity seems to take place in the common rooms where all the guests mingle day and night, and outdoors. The bar/lounge was a great place to meet people, sit by the fire and read or watch sports on the big-screen TV. Although many of the other guests seemed to know one another, we didn't feel out of place as everyone was extremely friendly.
The food was in a word, outstanding. Breakfast was hardy, my poached eggs were perfect, and dinner was superb. The prices seemed very reasonable and the dining room is nicely decorated. They seated us away from the families, which was appreciated, but the owner and waitresses were keeping constant vigil so the kids who were also in the dining room didn't disturb anyone else.
All in all, we enjoyed the weekend immensely. We felt like we had spent a weekend in someone's warm and friendly company and plan on a return this summer for some fly fishing in the Inn's trout pond.

Room Tip: Let the owner know your needs. Rooms vary.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nycgirl53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cape May, New Jersey
Reviewed February 13, 2011

This inn is truley the heart and soal of Vermont. Evertime we go there I feel like I am home again. It is well kept, comfortable, and clean. I love lounging around in the game room and watching TV with my family and friends. Drinking a nice hot cup of tea in the winter while watching the sunset, and playing games with friends and family is my all time favorites up there. Skiing across the field and in the woods is VERY relaxing especially when you come back to the inn to warm up. The room we had was spacious, cozy and warm. Everyone had a comfortable place to sleep. The old country theme of the inn was very homey and welcoming. I am sooo coming back to this inn next year or hopefully even sooner!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank hotelexpert001
Kent
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Although it was a while ago since we stayed at The Landgrove I've thought about it often with fond memories and the urge to return has become stronger and stronger.

I felt the need to write following the last comment and to hopefully give an unbiased review and share our experience.

What is it that makes somewhere "Just right"? Well If we knew that, we would all be Inn keepers! Tom and Maureen have "it" though and so does The Landgrove.

From the moment you walk in the door to the smell of woodsmoke and the sound of mellow music playing. To the feeling you could quite happily kick off your shoes and curl up on the cosy chairs in the lounge with a drink from the honesty bar and a good book. To the friendly greeting from Tom, Maureen and staff.

We stayed in Suite number two and loved it. Very nicely furnished with our own sitting area, balcony, fire and jacuzzi bath. Beautiful location.

The Landgrove is a hard place to leave and the pull to return is even harder to ignore.

Tom and Maureen, we wish you both all the best and hope you and staff are doing well.
Jane & Steve, England

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jinx1_8
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Unfortunately our 8 year old basset hound passed away recently due to the outcome of the lack of care and communication in providing contact details for an emergency veterinary service whilst staying at the Landgrove Inn. In addition there has been not follow up from the inn keepers to check on the well being of our dog.

This incident occured due to a faulty alarm system resulting in our dog having a siezure. There was a time lapse of over an hour before my husband located an animal hospital that was 15-20 minutes away. By the time we did reach the vet the dog's temperature was over 108 degrees. When asked previously Tommy Checchia advised "there are no emergency veterinary services within driving distance" . It was the couldn't care less attitude and lack of assistance that really hit us hard - we have known the innkeepers for 8 years.

As this Inn prides itself as a pet-friendly establishment it is expected that basic information is available and forthcoming particularly in an emergency. It should be noted there are no telephones in the rooms or public telephone available.

I can only hope this desparate situation doesn't happen to any other visitor staying with their pet.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Surfergirl37
Ownertom, Owner at Landgrove Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2010
I am truly saddened by the passing of Astro, Mrs Maddocks' beloved basset hound, but also by her review. My wife and I had become very friendly with this couple, and had even spent the last 4 or 5 Thanksgiving Days together. It is truly sad to see it all come to this.
While my recollection of the events is quite different from hers ( I wasn't called until 10:20pm, 20 minutes after the seizure had started according to her husband's timeline, and I did help get the dog to a vet by approximately 11pm). Yes, it is true there is no 24 hour emergnecy clinic, a fact they probably already knew due to their numerour trips to the area. Also, the comment that I couldn't have cared less belies the facts. I was the one who rode to the vet's office in the back of the car comforting the dog during the 20 minute car ride. I still question the wisdom of their bringing a sick animal (2 seizure episodes had preceeded this one) to what they knew to be a somewhat remote location. Also, the idea that the seizure was caused by a "faulty carbon monoxide detector" is without any basis in fact, and the vet said so that evening. (She had previously told ne she thought the seizures had been brough on by the new cat they had just adopted.) More likely, the detector was knocked out of the socket when the dog went into distress since when I returned the detector to its location it went off. Additionally, they had already been in the room for 3 days without any incdents with the detector. During the episode when I inquired as to what course of action the vet at home had recommended I was told the dog ususally came out of it on his own. Additionally, the dog had received no medication following the last 2 seizures, which the vet also questioned.
I can symapthize with Mrs Maddocks, and I understand her need to blame someone. Unfortunately we were her unwitting victims.
New York, NY
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We've stayed here before and will surely stay again. Comfortable, spacious rooms in a serene setting, with a lovely breakfast. A slate-floored common porch overlooks beautiful grounds. Proprietor Tom, a transplanted New Yorker, is a total delight. (Literary types, be sure to make time for the Northshire Bookstore in nearby Manchester, a veritable literary salon of a bookstore.)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hebron, Connecticut
Reviewed July 13, 2010

A Vermont country inn with very warm and welcoming innkeepers who make you feel right at home each and every time you visit. When we try to think of visiting another Inn we just know they will all fall short of this "gem" in the small town of Landgrove, Vermont.

This has been the longest time between visits for us and we were not disappointed. The dinners are still outstanding. The inn is just as quiet, cozy and very tastefully decorated as always! The pool was very refreshing and the walks on the beautiful roads that lead to and from the inn were like something out of a book that would be titled "The best of Vermont". You would think it was amazing enough just staying at the inn with all it's "simple pleasures" but then you have this added bonus of the amazing countryside that you can enjoy each and every day of your visit. Who could ask for more?????

As always we left the inn completely satisfied and looking forward to the next time we have a chance to visit the inn.....I am hoping it will be a lot sooner this time. The Landgrove Inn is truly our favorite place to "get away from it all"

Thanks Tom and Maureen for your kindness and for another wonderful experience at your lovely inn!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Finger Lakes Area, New York State
Reviewed January 24, 2010

I go to the Landgrove Inn several times a year to attend their wonderful decorative painting classes at the In View Studio. As I work in the legal field, sometimes I just need to go somewhere to clear my head and get rid of the stress, and this is the best place I've ever found to do that. I have painted with many national painting teachers at the Landgrove Inn's In View Studio over the past several years and have met some of the most wonderful people, including Tom and Maureen, the owners of the Landgrove Inn. Many of these people have become friends and I look forward to seeing them at future seminars. Tom has great rates for the students that also include three meals a day! You can't beat that!

As soon as I arrive I know that my stay will be refreshing, interesting, and relaxing. My favorite rooms are Rooms 16,17, and 18, but have also stayed in many of the other wonderful, comfortable and nicely decorated rooms. In my opinion they are perfect! I also know that I will be served the most wonderful food during my stay as I have been dining with Chef Elise Duerr for over 30 years, as she was also the Chef at the Highland House in Londonderry, Vermont before joining the staff at Landgrove Inn. My husband and I used to stay at the Highland House before it was sold and renamed the Frog Leap Inn. We were so thrilled to find the Landgrove Inn about five years ago. Elise has shared many recipes with me over the years and I always have lots of compliments to give her during my stay. Her assistant, Katie, also serves up wonderful culinary dishes.

The seminars that are held at In View are very professionally done and all of the students have a wonderful time. You can see their upcoming seminars on their website and are truly great learning vacations. Tom and Maureen have always gone out of their way to make their guest feel comfortable and to make special accommodations for them. I highly recommend that you visit the Landgrove Inn soon for a relaxing and comfortable vacation.

The surrounding area has wonderful shopping and the views are spectacular too see, especially in the fall. I look forward to my next vacation there!
Joanne Mitchell from the Finger Lakes in New York State

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Joanne2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landgrove
Manchester View
#1 of 16 in Manchester
Palmer House
Palmer House
#6 of 16 in Manchester

Been to Landgrove Inn? Share your experiences!