“Barbecue is acceptable”

McKenzie's Barbeque & Burgers
Ranked #5 of 241 Restaurants in Conroe
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: For a taste of traditional, Texas-style barbecue, join McKenzie's Barbecue & Burgers for lunch, dinner or both! Try our sandwiches with your choice of filling: sliced beef, chopped beef, turkey, ham, chicken, hot link, sausage, sloppy jo, pork loin or pulled pork. Can't decide? Try our plates with your choice of 1, 2, 3 or 4 meats with two sides. For the real carnivore, you can have the plate with meat only, no sides. Hosting an event? You can order our meats by the pound.
Reviewed November 30, 2012

First time I'd been to McKenzie's. Texas is famous for its barbecue eateries, most of which are fair to acceptable, mainly because they use brisket which is only fair and smoke it only fairly well. This place has beef which is not very tender and, in my view, sliced too thickly. It should not be difficult to cook great brlsket, but few bother to do it. I also had sausage, which was
passable. Their pinto beans had a slightly off flavor but were OK. Cold potato salad was excellent. Plain white bread was OK
I had peach cobbler (apple and blackberry were also offered). The dough was not as good as my mother made, but overall the
cobbler was good. Compared to other BBQ places, this was at least good, because it was a bit better than most. They would
improve it just by cutting very thin brisket slices (more trouble and skill but worth it). Also, serve a better grade of beef, even if
you must increase price a little. Then McKenzie's would be excellent!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

My first time to eat here. As you enter, it is a typical BBQ joint. You walk up to the counter to place your order, they will prepare whatever meat you like but then they had you your place and you finish serving yourself from a buffet line.
I ordered sliced beef, the flavor was good, but it was either smoked too long or the heat was too high. The meat was very dry. I had the corn on the cob, it was ok, the cob was rather small, and also the potato salad was a little bland. They do have regular and spicy bbq sauce both of which were good. The drinks are dispensed via a regular drink dispenser and they have a bakery next door. I cannot really rate the service since it is pretty much self serve, but I was please to see that they do employ several young ladies that have Down's Syndrome.
The price for lunch for two people was about $25 dollars.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is by far the best barbecue I have had in a LONG time! When you walk up to McKenzie's the smell of smoking meat is your very first impression. It takes me back to the smoked meats I used to get in central Texas back in the 50s. The atmosphere is straight barbecue joint. No fancy airs or white table cloths here. The smoked brisket is outstanding. The sides are to die for. Their Mac and Cheese reminds me of my grandmother's. The slaw has just the slightest hint of jalapeno (as does the potato salad.) Not hot and spicy, just a hint of flavor. The prices are reasonable and the staff is very friendly. And, for a bonus, as you walk in there is a Hamburger place to the left and an artisan bakery to the right! I thought I had died and gone to heaven! It is a very popular place (As Yogi Berra once said "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded") I have never had to wait for a table. there is normally PLENTY of capacity. The parking lot wraps around the restaurant and there are even spaces across the street. I would highly recommend this place. It has become my favorite restaurant in Conroe.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

The best barbeque in the country and the sides are wonderful too. Always great food and never disappointed. Their burgers are great homemade burgers with the standard toppings on a bar that you fix yourself. and love their homemade fries. The new one in Montgomery offers free beans that you can help yourself to while you wait for your food to be prepared. Clean, great atmosphere...good Christian music plays softly as you enjoy your meal..Love their ribs, brisket , chicken, sausage, and all the trimmings..and their sauce is fantastic.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Unfortuanatly we do not get to frequent as much as I like due to our move but it is great we love the food, the sauce is great we order more takeout from this place than eat in due to the fact that they dont serve alcohol and we like a cold beer with our BQ. But everything is always in the bag when I get home and I dont have to worry who didnt get thier food.

Been to McKenzie's Barbeque & Burgers? Share your experiences!