“Another great summer vacation at Neal's”
Review of Neal's Lodges

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Concan
Neal's Lodges
Ranked #3 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Concan
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was our 4th summer at Neal's Lodges and our vacation gets better each year. The staff is very friendly and goes above and beyond to make their guests feel welcome. I appreciate this year that there was limited access to the Neal's side of the river, no day passes. This cut down on the number of people at the river which made it much more enjoyable for families with children. Cody and his staff have worked very hard to make Neal's a continued tradition for future generations. Our cabin was clean and cool as always. If you want to enjoy the beauty of the Frio River I recommend staying at Neal's Lodges for a memorable vacation that can become your family tradition.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our family stayed in one of the lodges. Beautiful cabins! Kiddos love the horse ride and the employees there were very nice and helpful. Loved floating the river and just relaxing. Great place to vacation with the kiddos.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

My family and I had a great time. Our lodge was nice and spacious and the pool was awesome. The swimming hole was great. The kids loved the slide. We also did the hay ride, horseback riding and fishing pond. All were awesome experiences. And the people were very friendly and helpful. We made lots of great memories. We will definitely be going back next year.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed with 14 people in cabin EH. Some in our party have been staying at Neals for over 20 years and the rest for about 10. We've never had a complaint before.

Pros: Cabin was large enough for the 14 people that it states. Cabin was clean and nice. Very secluded from other cabins and the deck has a great view.

Joe Jimmy's is a fun, free, family friendly place that the kids LOVE and beg to go to. Better than the drive to Garner we use to do. However, they have gone up on the beer prices. 3.25 for a beer at an outdoor shack is high. That's what I pay at a nice restaurant.

Cons: The cabin is NOT located with the other Neals cabins. You have to drive over a mile up River Road to get to it. They don't tell you this. They do tell you it's "within walking distance" to the river. When we checked in we asked if it was stairs down to the river and they said no it's more of a path. I asked if we could haul a ice chest up and down and was told yes. Technically it is walking distance, however, you cannot possibly walk to the river without risking your ankles. There is no path. It is a very steep rocky cliff. I went down to see, and would not allow the young kids or my mother to go down after having to use my hands to climb back up. When you get to the bottom of the drop off you are walking up into peoples camp sites in tents and have to walk through their sites. Uncomfortable.

When you check in you get a parking pass for each vehicle and ONE "river pass" to park down at the river. (new this year) So with being no way to get to the river by foot, we loaded up all 14 of us, floats and ice chests to spend the day on the river. We managed to get everything in a truck and a suburban. When we got to the road that goes down to the river, they would only let the car with the river pass go down. I went to speak with the office. They would only allow one pass per cabin. They wouldn't even allow us just to go unload one car and drive back up. HELLO! There are 14 of us. So it doesn't matter if you have a 4 person cabin or a 20 person cabin, you can only take one car. We ended up paying $20 to get in the Buchanens side. (which is better anyway). The lady at the front told me since there was limited parking, only one pass per cabin because they were trying to make it nice for everyone. This did NOT make it nice for our party. The whole ordeal put a damper on our day. When you get down to the river its almost impossible to park because of all the golf carts and other ATV parked all over very randomly. I noticed they didn't have river passes so asked and no, they don't have to have one. So if you need more river access all you have to do is pay $80 a day and rent a golf cart from them.
I feel they should accommodate larger groups.

On the same note, a house that accommodates 14 people should have more than one fridge. We were having to use our ice chests and constantly switch things out.

We also rented tubes from Neals. It cost $10 a tube and $5 for them to shuttle us to the first crossing. PER PERSON. And that's not returning us anywhere since you get out at Neals. So it cost us $160 (after taxes) to rent 10 tubes and them to take us a couple miles up river, one way.
Also if you rent from them and not staying there, there is a $20 deposit per tube. If you stay they put the deposit on your cabin. In my tubing experience that is on the steep side. Shuttle should be included in tube rental.

Also, there is very minimal kitchen items in the house. If you think you might need it, bring it. We've known from staying before that there isn't much so we haul large pots and pans for cooking. Including anything you need for grilling. NO linens. Bring hand towels and something to wash dishes with. There was a sponge but it smelled so bad I threw it away. The only thing actually provided is extremely low quality toilet paper. We even bring extra since there is 14 of us. So for our 5 day trip it was literally like moving.

We did speak with a lady that I believe to be part owner or sister to owner the night before we left. We told her our concerns and she took some notes. Not sure what good it will do.

The biggest draw to staying at Neals is the river access location. But, since we are having to pay and drive to be at the part of the river we love anyway, we have decided to look into other accommodations next year.

4  Thank cg0905
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

The family had a great time! The river was awesome, the kids loved the horse back ride. It's our family tradition. We enjoy spending the week out there in the sun. Best of all it's dog friendly so we always get to take our furry babies with us and they LOVE the water. Simply beautiful and peaceful.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Like the last review, my family also made it a tradition for over the past 50 years to come to Neal's and I was heartbroken when Neal's sold out to the new owners. The Neal family was warm and welcoming and knew repeat customers by name whether you called or were there in person. It was like going home every year. Now it is just not the same. At first it was ok. The owners were nice and friendly but then they hired an office manager who is just unnecessarily rude and unfriendly. They put that hideous ugly slide up that destroyed the scenery and keeps people from swimming in the best part of the swimming hole, and most of the people end up walking down it, they allow the river to be littered with pop ups that also take up river space. They are spending their money on the dance and other things instead of fixing up some of those hazardous cabins and spraying for bugs. In the over 50 years that I have been going to Neal's I never ever saw one scorpion in any of the cabins until the new owners took over and when I mentioned it to the office manager she just came back with a rude comment. The only good thing about Neal's now is the restaurant and the river but that is even not the same. I am finished with Neal's and have already started a search for our new family tradition.

Room Tip: There are many other places on the Frio that are nicer and much more friendly. They used to say that...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lyn W
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We rented the Reata Lodge from Neals for a week this June and it was a horrible experience from the start! Neals doesn't own this property, its just in their rental pool but you aren't told that when you book it. The house and pool had multiple issues from the stereo system not working to the mice and bug infestation. Not fun to pay over $4600 for a week and have bugs biting you when you sit on the sofa and rats/mice running on counter and floors nonstop because they live in the sofas!! The fridge wasn't cooling so they brought a replacement, the stereo didn't work, 2 fans on the back porch weren't functioning so the replaced one and repaired the other, the pool was filthy and the fountain only worked 1/2 the time. Pool tiles were constantly falling off and we had to stack them on the patio. A tornado came thru Concan and the Neals staff never came by to check on us or the property...not even a phone call!! I spoke to the Neals staff and they apologized but made no attempt to discount or refund any of our $...didn't even offer to give us a discount for next year so we won't be back!!! We lost our truck keys and they wouldn't even give us a ride back to the house we rented from them!!! Craziness!! My family has been going to the Frio for over 50 years and Neals has been our favorite place to stay until this year! The new owners have made it too commercial and I am so upset that a family tradition has come to an end. The last thing they said to us when I told them about the rats was "well next year stay in one that we own"...they missed the point...the point was that if you put the Neals name on it and Neals makes $$ from it then the quality should be equal to the price and the Neals tradition!! What a disheartening experience!

Room Tip: If you book with Neals Lodges then by all means please book in a lodge or cabin they actually own...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Chelsea W

Been to Neal's Lodges? Share your experiences!