“Not Worth the Money”
Review of Neal's Lodges

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Concan
Neal's Lodges
Ranked #3 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Concan
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed here during the Veteran's Day Motorcycle Rally in Cabin #26. The price of the Cabin was high considering it was off-season, but was most likely jacked up for the Rally. In a word, the cabin was not worth half what they were charging for it. The mattresses are old and worn out. The bed frames are on rollers but not attached to the wall so they roll away from the wall when you lay on them. The refrigerator had rust on it and the kitchen faucet hot and cold knobs were reversed. Ants were all over the kitchen sink, stove, and shelves. The bathroom faucet would not shut off half the time. The shower head was old and did not let out enough water. The A/C heater combo in the wall was very noisy. The doors were rotted and falling apart and let cold air and bugs inside. The 13" tube TV was something from the stone age and could not be seen unless you were sitting a few feet from it and even then the picture was snowy. Obviously, the owner/management has no interest in maintenance of the cabins at Neal's Lodges and charges a pretty penny for a dump. Avoid this place like the plaque.

Room Tip: There is no good room. All cabins are the same and all are run down and worn out.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank clintman4

Reviewed November 7, 2011

I was here for a friend's wedding. first of all, I have to say that the place is family owned and run. consequently, they put their hearts into this place and it shows. The beer was cheap at night and it was fun hanging out around the swimming hole. However, I will have to caution that this is a place where the emphasis is on lodges and not a resort. If you are expecting the Four Seasons, you will be disappointed. However, if you want nice, clean cabins and a country setting to enjoy life off the beaten track, then I would gladly recommend this place for a family trip or even a quick weekend getaway.

Room Tip: ask for one of the newer lodges
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank txagcol1
Reviewed October 18, 2011

A good friend of mine recomended Neal's to me this summer (He's been going there for years).
Took my family and invited another family on our weekend getaway in August. WE ALL HAD A GREAT TIME. The cabins are all unique and feature a rustic style to them. Prices range from $85 to $675 / night so finding a cabin that fits your taste is just a matter of browsing their web page which by the way is excellent and very user friendly.
We planned a second trip for December, but could not wait, so our second trip was pushed up for October instead and this time My wife and I invited our extended families. Everyone had an awsome time eventhough the river was a tad on the "frio" side for some of our family members.
So now all of us are looking forward for yet another trip in December when we plan on staying in cabin 59 which overlooks the frio river and the beautiful hill country. Brad was gracious enough to show us several cabins so that we could plan our next trip. We stayed in cabin 14 in August and cabins 18 and 19 in October and were very pleased.

Room Tip: Look at their grounds map and then make your room selection. Brad is also very helpful at recomendi...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2011

The new cabins on the side of the property near Neal's dining hall are delightful. We stayed in #70, the "Mesquite", one of the new cabins with two bedrooms (each with two full beds and their own bathroom) for a weekend conference. The wonderful smell of new wood, spacious ceilings and new fixtures were a nice surprise. These cabins come with a small kitchen, a big fireplace, and out the back door a fire ring, barbeque pit and a picnic table. (we were able to have some of our small break out sessions on the back porch of these cabins.) The indoor table was big enough for 5 of us to play a game. Most of our meals were covered at Neal's dining room, which handled our group very well. The dining room seems to be recently refurbished, with an addition to the balcony that overlooks the river, delightful. The meeting room met our groups needs very well. I am interested in coming back with my husband and another couple in the spring to spend more time enjoying the moon, stars and the spring-fed Frio river!

Room Tip: The cabins I experienced were the # in the 70s
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2011

It is quite rare for me to discover a dump of this magnitude using my own devices. I was directed here on the hearsay of "birders", well meaning, but obviously uninformed.
Room 27/$99. These "cottages" were constructed in 1926, the year when it seems any maintenance ceased. One is immediately struck by the two dead roaches (large) by the bed near the door. On the bed is stacked your threadbare linens and there you will find the threadbare sheets which you will install yourself.

Your eyes are directed to the roaring air conditioner in the wall. Turning it off, you see that there is no filter cover, the filter last being cleaned I would guess in 1927. The other bedroom contains the other double bed, a similar stack of linens, three more roaches and a worm of some sort. And a fan.

In the bath the toilet runs continually behind a cracked and chipped seat. The basin likewise drips and is badly stained by minerals of ancient provenance. A glance to the left reveals another roach below the toilet. By now you are reluctant to remove your shoes, but duty and travel grime calls. BYO shampoo. Do not under any circumstance look at the drain.

The advertised restaurant is closed, the gift shop entirely vacant and the office closed at 5:30 where snacks are located. There are are over a dozen plump goats in pen behind the office that are obviously available, but I opted for microwave popcorn instead.

There are a few channels on the TV. The remote does not work. Wi-fi is detected but not useable. Good bars with AT&T in case you need to call for help.

Room Tip: Pick a different motel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Intlpvti
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed here with a bunch of friends this month, August 2011. While the cabins themselves are nothing super fancy, it's more reminiscent of where your grandparents would have stayed as kids in the summer. It has a cute Texas nostalgia feel to it, which is what i think they are going for. It would be nice if the cabins got some updates, but...ya know. They are under new ownership, and we met one of them, he was very friendly. Here are my random observations:

Beds are not really comfy and squeak like crazy, so unless you are imbibing all day, you are not going to get great sleep. The cooking abilities in the cabin are going to be basic and if you plan on doing anything extensive, do that at home and bring it to reheat. There are some tv's, but very small, but what are you doing watching tv here anyway? You may have noisy neighbors, so bring a fan to drown them out when you want to sleep. Eat at the diner! They have great breakfast and the cobbler is really good.

As far as cost, plan on paying between 120-160 a night. I'm sure that varies on the time of year though.

Come here to chill and hang out on the river, not to be pampered. It's a fun getaway with friends where it's ok to walk around with dirty feet. That's the best way i can think to describe it. :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Our extended family all stayed at Neal's for 3 nites recently and we expected primitive, but we didn't expect falling apart. Yes, the ladies in the office were very friendly, but for what we paid, I really expected a bit more. Our bathmat was absolutely raveling apart, our shower door didn't shut, our sink faucet wouldn't turn off, our bathroom door wouldn't close because there was hardly any door left--it was splintering apart and our back cabin door would barely shut because it was missing a hinge. If the prices had been adjusted down to reflect this, I would have understood, but instead, they had been raised. Yes, I know we paid for the beautiful scenery, but due to the drought, there wasn't even very much water in the Frio. Thanks goodness the AC was good & cold. I would hope the new owners would pay attention to the details & make the necessary improvements so the cabins would be more pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TexasMuffy

Been to Neal's Lodges? Share your experiences!