“A Great Place on the Frio!”
Review of River Oaks Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Concan
River Oaks Resort
Ranked #8 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Concan
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Our big family has been going to River Oaks Resort for many years. We usually rent a few of the River Oaks cabins right on the river. It's a great location. We go after Labor Day when the rates drop, but it's still pretty warm. We share the house with our son and his family and the others do the same, so it's a pretty good deal. You do have to bring your own sheets and towels, but it's not a big deal. One of the main reasons we keep coming back here is that they are very dog friendly and we have a few dogs in our group (including our chocolate lab) so it's just easy for everyone to bring their dogs. I've noticed alot of other places don't even allow them. The staff is always very friendly and we look forward to our trip every year.

Room Tip: River Oaks 1-7 and Riverside are right on the water.
Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for River Oaks Resort

Reviewed September 27, 2011

First of all, we rented the cypress villa#3 over priced after we saw this in person, but looked good on internet; (the one the picture shows on here) for our honeymoon under the impression it was all by itself according to pictures, and they didn't tell you its for people under 5 4" due to my wife that height and me 6' 2" this place was very very small to get to the queen size bed up on loft we BOTH had to crawl up the stairs cause of the height issues, bumped my head over 5 times just on the stairs part not including bathroom. The bed WAS sooo old literally when we layed down the middle sunk down to the floor. The shower head was below my chest at 6' 2", my wife it was to her shoulder both had to bend down to take showers,,,sink to knees. WORSE experience we had ever stayed. We even told the lady in office (older lady with short dark hair), and didn't care. WOW!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MR3575
Reviewed June 18, 2010

We rented five cabins here for a Family Reunion. We all had to book a 3-night minimum and pay about $750 for each cabin. That's $250 a night. The first problem with these facilities is that they do not have easy access to the river. All of our family members over the age of 60 had major trouble accessing the water. Many of them never made it. Getting to the river was one of the reasons the cabins were "sold" to us. It was nothing short of a deception.

The condition of the cabins was between filthy and half-trashed. Bathrooms and kitchen areas were unsanitary. Family members had to go into Uvalde to purchase cleaning and santizing products before we could use the restrooms. None of the mattresses or the pad thereon were anything more than garage sale junk. Futon mattresses were worthless and the couches were filthy. Again, Lysol and other anti-bacterial products had to be brought in before we could use the bedding.

Traffic is a real problem. If you have small kids, don't come here. We had several small children in our group who were nearly run over by careless drivers (drunks?) speeding down the narrow two-lane road beside the cabins. There doesn't seem to be any interest in slowing that traffic down or making the crossing zone safer for users of the river access trail. It was scary at times.

Interiors of the cabins had bare plywood walls and ceilings. Electrical outlets didn't work in several places and "warning" signs about the weak plumbing and septic systems didn't offer encouragement for any of us. Admittedly, the A/C units did warn that if you turned them all the way to "Max Cool" they would freeze up, but the warnings that if you used the toilet, it could back up and become "unusable" was an unacceptable acknowledgement by the owners that they're engaged in selling slum-nights instead of room nights.

When I pay $250 a night plus tax for a room, I expect cleanliness, service and attention to details. These cottages had none of those things.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank bradinnewmexico
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Just back from spending three days in ConCan Tx at River Oaks Resort, Cabin (Bid Oak cabin) was clean and well stocked with all the latest appliances and utensils, I think the kitchen was better stocked than my own at home! Office staff was nice and helpful. Beds were kind of soft, I had to remind myself that I was roughing it for three days. Nice hiking trail. At dusk and at dawn Whitetail deer could be seen all over the area, really nice! I would highly recommend this resort.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank ovallel
Reviewed January 14, 2008

Lets see, the cabin was somewhat clean, the beds had springs coming through them, and the air conditioner froze up on us in the middle of the night and the next afternoon in the heat of the day. There was alot of underage kids running around with alcohol and driving really fast, we were not comfortable letting our kids run around outside the cabin. The people who rented us the cabin were really nice and all, but did not like it when we told them about our a/c. The scenery was awesome, the deer etc.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed October 1, 2006

We reserved a weekend at The River Oaks Cabin Rentals on the Frio River in Concan. We really liked this place…the first 2 ½ days of our visit.

Day 1, Friday
My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary here. We reserved a secluded log cabin away from the cluster of other log cabins in its own gated area called Live Oak #1. After a few wrong turns, driving past the property, and a few heated moments, we regrouped and found our cabin…deep off the beaten path in a heavily wooded area. We were apprehensive at first then we looked toward the cabin and it was just as it was on the internet. We walked inside and was immediately impressed. Brand new log cabin, well-constructed and immensely clean. The kitchen had the latest in appliance and was fully equipped. The bathroom is right off the kitchen and had the basic necessities with bath and shower. The kitchen opens up to the main area equipped with wooden table with benches for dining, futon which extends to a full-size bead, gas fireplace, 25” TV with satellite and DVD player. Climb the pseudo-steep stairs to the semi-loft where the king-size brass bed resides. The cabin is an A-frame with windows in the top-most area of the frame that looked out on both sides of the cabin into the expanse of wooded area. In fact, there were windows all over the place which I loved. The spacious deck stretched out through the back door of the cabin. It housed a large 4-person Jacuzzi, patio table, fire pit and gas bbq pit. We were blown away. Hello weekend get-a-way and complete privacy!! We ate a quick lunch and jumped into the jacuzzi. The best medicine after a 5-hour drive. Later we walked around our gated property to find a stable full of ponies, deer running free and a pond. I am very scary of wooded area and the creatures lurking in them but I felt adventurous so James and I took off on one of the many hiking trails. We walked along a portion of Frio Rive which was more like a rocky road. The river was completely dry in this area. After an exhilarating walk (and not seeing any scary creatures) we returned to the cabin for wine and chillin’ time. I love the XM Radio stations!! We’d planned on frying fish on the deck that night but the gas grill was low on propane and the flames never got past “blue”. All was not lost, I fried the fish on the state-of-the-art surface range, we lit the fire pit and had a very romantic, laid-back evening on our deck.

Day 2, Saturday
We start the morning slow and lazy, ate breakfast and headed out to familiarize ourselves with the country-side surrounding us. We found our way to the main road and took a leisurely drive on Hwy 83 to the town of Leakey and back the opposite way to the town of Uvalde. We found an HEB and loaded up on fruit. Took fabulous pics of the beautiful rolling hills and big mountains. They were such scenic and relaxing views. We found our way back to our cabin without incident or nary a curse word, had lunch and back into the jacuzzi. My husband figured out how to get the grill smoking by adding pieces of that manufactured fire-burning log that can be purchased in stores. He grilled a wonderful slab of ribs that night and we had another romantic, satisfying evening.

Day 3, Sunday
James awoke to the feeling of being watched. Sure enough two cats were on the deck, one peering through the window at him. (We’d slept on the futon that night in the main room). That should’ve been an indication of things to come. We ate breakfast and began our day. First stop was the office to request cleaning of the jacuzzi. The landlady gave James a map and suggested another scenic route to explore. We stopped at the quaint little town store for water and another fire log and I left away from there with the eeriest feeling of “small town” unwelcomeness that I’ve ever known. Off we go down Hwy 83, through Leakey and a right turn on Hwy 337. That feeling I had earlier quickly gave way to peaceful tranquility. There were more rolling hills—more beautifully than the day before. We were in awe at the lush expanses of land and the occasional hilltop house perched on top the majestic mountains. This feeling gave way to anxiety as we began to ascend a mountain. The views were startling and we got great pics but as we continued to go up, up, up so did my discomfort level being afraid of heights. Luckily we were the only ones on the road and we reached the tip top and began our descent down the mountain as did my anxiety level. We turned on Hwy 187 going through the sleepy little town of Utopia where everybody knows everybody else’s name. We passed on the opposite side of the mountain we just previously ascended but it was flat land this time. We passed by Garner State Park and back to 83 to our cabin. The jacuzzi had been cleaned to a sparkle once again and beckoned us. We obliged. Later James grilled a couple of porterhouses complemented by side dishes, Italian Prosecco and a great merlot. We settled in for another wonderful evening. While relaxing in the jacuzzi, drinking merlot and listening to great jazz on the XM station I saw a mouse skittle across the window. James, looking like Daniel Boone or Jason, got his cane knife, ax and BB gun and prepared for battle. To our chagrin the mouse was inside cabin. I was horrified. James trapped the mouser between the window pane and screen. At that moment our evening was ruined and we were ready to get the hell out of dodge. I could no longer enjoy my merlot and down the drain it went. We turned in satisfied that particular mouse would not be running free around us while we slept and looked forward to fleeing this place first thing in the morning. My initial fondness of this property was quickly squashed and my desire to return was extinguished.

Sunday Night
I was torn from my sleep with a loud thud and crash. I though someone was breaking in. Keep in mind we were in the wilderness, no phone in the cabin, secluded from everyone and my cell phone provider does not provide service in mountainous areas. My heart was pounding out of my chest and my legs were jell-o. I awoke James in a screaming frenzy. He was as cool as a cucumber and simply stated he knew the cat would be back for that mouse. Unlike me, James was unperturbed and NO HELP!! This banging and cat & mouse game went on for the next hour or so and I pictured the glass pane and screen in tatters. James slept through it all (or at least pretended to). After the mayhem stopped (don’t know if the cat banged himself to death or finally got his prey) I was finally able to drift off to sleep.

Day 4, Monday
Finally, daybreak. James checked the scene of the c rime. Surprisingly the screen and glass were both intact and the mouse was still cowering inside. No sign of the cat. We showered, packed and were at the office before they could get the door opened good to check out with the quickness. I was never so glad to be heading home after a vacation.

Afterthoughts
I really wanted to like this place and it could be a find but for their mouse problem. They also need to rethink their idea of not providing phones in their cabins.

3  Thank aarrtt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Uvalde
Live Oaks Bed and Breakfast
Motel 6 Uvalde
Motel 6 Uvalde
#5 of 6 in Uvalde

Been to River Oaks Resort? Share your experiences!