“Small hill country surprise!”

814- A Texas Bistro
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Comfort
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Temple, Texas
“Small hill country surprise!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Nested on High Street, this cafe was a pleasant addition to our day! Fairly priced wine, wonderful fish, mussels and steak. Would return again when in area.

Kerrville
“Wow”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

It's funny, I've been to Comfort plenty of times because it's close to Kerrville and I have a friend there who does some work for me. But I've never actually stopped in town and had something to eat. I can tell I've been missing out. My advice to any travelers that are staying in Kerrville and want a great meal would be to drive a few miles to Comfort, because no place exists in Kerrville that is anywhere on this level. This place is simply excellent. I think what made it even better is I had assumed beforehand that because it was in Comfort it would decent at best, but I was mistaken.

The menu is very simple and only has a few choices. Before I go any further I want to make a general observation that restaurants that serve this way tend to have the best food in my opinion. You're not getting something they have hidden at the back of the freezer, but a few well executed and fresh dishes. I started with the salad with poached egg which was different but quite tasty. For my entree I had the New Zealand Lamb which was cooked perfectly and extremely tender. It was draped over andouille sausage and spiced grits with crawfish. The entree was certainly one of the top five I've ever eaten. I finished with a raspberry cheesecake which was smooth and moist and quite good as well.

I would urge anyone who's in Comfort or Kerrville to give this place a try.

• Visited March 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy brunch!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Interesting menu that changes often. Brunch was so good, the French toast is fantastic! Made from a croissant, not bread. Presentation is lovely.

Visited February 2013
Comfort, Texas
“Great Food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Because we are locals we can enjoy this great restaurant often. On Front Street in a former Post Office building, it is in the heart of the antique stores and shops in the little town of Comfort. Everything we have ordered here has been just great. The service is prompt and friendly. They have a nice selection of wines and beer to accompany the food, but it is not a bar. Reservations are recommended because there is limited seating and many tourists are finding Comfort. When the weather is pleasant, there is additional seating on the patio.

• Visited October 2012
Dallas, Texas
“One of TX's little hidden secrets”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Comfort, TX is a (somewhat) out of the way community between Boerne and Kerrville, one of the old German towns of the Hill Country, with a moving history and modern charm that is made ever more delightful by the great efforts to restore the old historic center of town and bring it back to life. A center piece is A Texas Bistro, a place of great ambiance and delicious food and drink, definitely upscale, and definitely worth the effort to get there. The menu is not large, but definitely every offering is worth considering and well done. Seating is limited; calling for a reservation is a "must". It is a very popular place with the region's connoiseurs.

ME