“Lovely people and Amazing Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Stone Green Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mersham
Stone Green Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Mersham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
paradise, arizona
“Lovely people and Amazing Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

My mother and I stayed at the Stone Green Farm for a few days this September. I am apologizing in advance for the length of the review, but hopefully, it is worth the read. We wanted to see some of the attractions that are located in Kent, like Canterbury and Dover castle. We were also planning on heading over to France for a quick jaunt (four days) and leaving from Ashford International on the Eurostar. Geoffrey and Caroline were the extra gracious hosts of Stone Green Farm. It was the perfect location for this type of sight-seeing that we wanted to do. It was very close to the cathedral, about 15-20 minutes away and Dover Castle was about 30 minutes by the M20.

The area that Caroline and Geoffrey live in and where the Stone Green Farm is located so charming. It contains small winding streets, green farm areas, lovely cottages, and a nice local pub just up the road within 20 minutes walking distance or quick 5 minutes driving. (More on that in another review.) The farm house is stunning (not like our farms here in the Midwest of the USA) and the owners have taken great care and are still putting their heart and soul into the refurbishment and preservation of all buildings and areas of the Stone Green Farm. They unfortunately were made to stay up extra long for our arrival as we had a spot of trouble when the M4 closed down for an accident- we were stuck on it as it were a car park. It was 11:30 pm by the time we arrived and Geoffrey made sure to guide us through the neighborhood by mobile and had a flash light to wave us in. We settled in quickly as it was very late and we were all tired. Geoffrey was the gentleman and carried our bags up to the room (poor man, I had shopped in London and was already carrying several books in the bag! I think that he might have gotten a hernia from my bag alone!!) and Caroline showed us up the stairs to our room and gave us some water and milk for our tea and coffee in the room. They asked us what time we would come down for breakfast and asked if we wanted anything particular. (I need to have English bacon any chance I get- I love it!) The room was well lit, the towels and sheets were so soft and smelled great. It was heaven getting into bed after sitting in the car for about 6 hours (including drive and parking time.) It was quiet and dark in the country. I am used to noise as I live by a major road, and this was nice.....Everything was clean and newly appointed in the bathroom, including a heated towel bar. Shower was a new massage type of head and the water was strong and hot. It is an older building from the 1400's so the bath floor is not even like our new homes. They did even it out as much as possible, it has new flooring but it is still slightly slanted. There is a step down into the bathroom as well. Neither bothered mom or I, but just wanted to mention it for guests who might have trouble walking or who get up in the middle of the night.

Well rested, (beds are comfy) we came down to breakfast, which had fresh eggs, excellent homemade marmalades by Caroline (go for them all, my favorite was lime.) Local juices, pear was terrific, toast, and yogurt. There was more to eat- cereal and the like, but I was so full just from the juices and toast (then the breakfast) that I am not sure what was there! Eggs are from 'the girls' in the back of the farm and they are very friendly as I found out-- I walked around back to take pictures and they all ran right toward me. They are cute and fluffy. Make sure that you say "Hello" to the Arizona Harris Hawk that Geoffrey has. She is a beautiful girl. It was raining (what-rain?) and she didn't get a formal introduction....too bad. Make sure that you walk around the property as it is beautiful and they definitely took much of their time and hard work to make it so lovely. Both of them were excellent hosts. They always checked with us to make sure we knew where we were going and had directions for us. Caroline made us reservations at the pub for dinner one night and had a fire going in the den for us when we returned. It smelled and felt great as it had been nippy and raining when we were sight-seeing, so it was warm and allowed our shoes to dry for the next morning.

My mom was impressed by the AGA they had in the kitchen. She had heard of them but never saw one before, (I, the non-cook, knew nothing) and Caroline was more than happy to show us and explain how she uses it to cook various dishes and baking. It was pretty amazing. The house is warm and cozy even though there are several rooms in the house. I think that maybe it is the lower ceilings than I am aware of at home that makes it seem so cozy. My mom and I decided that we certainly did not have enough time at the Farm or seeing surrounding Kent and we have to come back. The farm has such history and the property even has a Doodlebug! (You have to ask about that when you stay.) The house itself has many of the original beams and the kitchen fire place has the original hearth. I love that kind of stuff, so Caroline gave me a mini tour. (See pictures :) We loved the house, Caroline, Geoffrey, and their son, and we would definitely come and stay again. I thanked them profusely for all they did for us, and how lovely of a visit it was. I really recommend it to anyone that is thinking of staying in Ashford or the area around there, it is so charming and not far from anything you would like to do. Bravo to Stone Green Farm for a job well done. Thank you!

Room Tip: There are only three rooms at the time of my review....book early.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank cworth2288
Geoffrey030755, Owner at Stone Green Farm, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Good afternoon to you both! What a review!! We certainly have a lot to live up to now - hopefully future guests will not be disappointed. We are always pleased to help guests make the most of their stay, offering suggestions if wanted of places to visit. Dover Castle seems to be the favourite this year and visited by many of our guests. There is so much to offer there for everyone. We are very pleased that we offered everything you needed for your stay and made it a welcome respite after all your long days elsewhere in the UK. At this time of the year it is lovely to light the woodburner in the guest sitting room and shut the curtains for a cosy evening in. Please don't forget where we are if you return - with the rest of the family!! Thanks also for the photos posted with this review. Best wishes to you both Caroline & Geoffrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Huddersfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stumbled across Stone Green Farm after searching the internet for a long weekend away while we attended a wedding in Kent. The pleasant way i was dealt with on the phone along with a callback giving us multiple options for our stay told me all i needed to know, once arriving we could see why! the Farm is in a stunning location and maintained to the highest standard and run by two of the most pleasant people we have ever met, nothing was to much trouble from making sure we had a reservation at the beautiful pub up the road to looking after our dog Sophie ( as a one off ) while we attended the wedding. The bedroom was a 14th century room with a huge bed and a view from the bathroom took in the surrounding fields with horses grazing away, come downstairs and you are met with the smell of a fantastic home cooked breakfast and the warm welcome and conversation of Caroline and Geoffrey to advice all the best places to go while you fill yourself up for the day with locally sourced juices, cereals and of course home produced eggs!! we stay at a lot of places but thsi was by far the best B&B i have ever stayed at and we will re-visit which is rare as we like to go places new if possible. If you want outrageous customer service in a freindly relaxed atmosphere then thsi is the place to go. Big thank you to you both for being so accomodating. David, Sarah and Sophie

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you all for such a lovely review! We loved having you stay for the weekend - the wedding sounded fantastic!! The Farriers Arms is always welcoming and it was good to hear you had a great evening whilst eating in the bar. We are very lucky to be surrounded by lovely countryside whilst conveniently placed for access to motorways, London and the Continent. Do come back soon for a longer visit! Regards to you all Caroline & Geoffrey
Minden, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We were looking for someplace special to celebrate our 30th and found it at Stone Green Farm. Quaint and historic, Geoffrey and Caroline fulfilled our every need to make this day as special as it could be. Special touch was the wood stove in the sitting area, which made the room warm and cozy. We will definitely be back when we return to the UK!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brad D
We were delighted you stayed with us for your 30th wedding anniversary as part of your trip to the UK. As you discovered with all your homework before coming there are loads of different things to do around here. We look forward to hearing where you plan to visit when you stay again!! Hope all good back in Canada. Best wishes to you both from Caroline & Geoffrey
mpls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

A tastefully decorated home with cozy sitting room with burning logs, welcoming tea/cake, happy stroll to friendly pub for dinner, lovely bedroom with terry robes, beautifully set breakfast, and the most charming hosts....perfection at every turn! The BEST B&B we encountered in our 4 week sweep through the English Countryside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi to you both. We were so pleased you chose to start and finish your trip to the UK at Stone Green Farm!! We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and introducing you to the lovely county of Kent! Please remember where we are if you are ever travelling to Kent again - don't forget how close we are to the Continent and London! Regards Caroline & Geoffrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night at the beginning of a weeks vacation to the continent and 1 night upon returning to England and wish I had more time to spend at this charming jewel in the crown of the English countryside. The owners are quintessential British hosts and see to it that they are more that just meeting your needs. I stayed in 2 different rooms and both were spotless and contained everything I needed. The afternoon tea and the breakfast met all expectations and the location is close enough to major activities(Dover , Eurostar terminal, Leeds Castle, Canterbury M20 etc) but at night the peace and quiet of the area is obvious. In talking with the owners, they said they had a friend with a similar hobby as mine and went out of thier way to arrange a meeting at a delightful local pub which resulted in a personal tour the next day and a new friend/connection made. I had to spend 1 night in the area at the #2 (The Downsview) ranked B&B due to Stone Green being all booked up with a wedding party and the difference between the two was huge. It met my basic needs but with none of the charm and warmth of Stone Green. Plus i find CCTV staring at me in the lobby and while i eat breakfast quite off putting My travel companion had to return to the U.S. early so I was left solo my last night and Geoff and Caroline went above and beyond to make me feel like part of thier family (which includes 2 nice, respectful young lads whom we met).
So if you are looking for typical (in a good way)British country charm and family hospitality close enough yet far enough from the pavement, this is a great place to base yourself , if you just want your needs met and want to keep to yourself more, try the Downsview.

• Stayed September 2012
Geoffrey030755, Owner at Stone Green Farm, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Many thanks for such a wonderful review. We really enjoyed meeting you both and were so pleased you came back for a second stay so soon after. As you know, we have always lived in the area and are want to show off all the best bits to our guests - in your case introducing you to the landlord of The Royal Oak who has a similar hobby!! Please do come back again, we look forward to finding new things to suggest you see and do. With kind regards to you both from Caroline & Geoffrey
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I can only echo all the praise that other reviewers have heaped on this wonderful place, it is simply the most ideal B&B one could hope to find. Caroline & Geoffrey go to endless trouble for their guests, even providing parking under cover for our classic car. The village pub is just a short walk up the road and provides a very good evening meal, and in the morning after a delightful breakfast, the Channel Tunnel is a mere 20 minutes up the road. When next we travel to France we shall certainly try to stay there again, and we recommend it without a reservation of any kind.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Geoffrey030755, Owner at Stone Green Farm, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us - even if you and the other guests staying worked on Geoffrey to buy a classic car (successfully!!). We do hope your trip to France was a success. We have also awarded you the prize for the most luggage with a classic car!! Do stay again if you are passing through and don't forget The Farriers Arms has a classic car day every 3rd Sunday of the month. With kind regards Caroline & Geoffrey
Rochdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Caroline & Geoff are the kind of hosts who were born to be hosts. From the moment we arrived we were treated not only as guests but felt a part of the family - even Gus (the dog) made us welcome (once he got to know us..... which only took a couple of minutes).
The room we stayed in was the "Doodlebug" room - hit by one in WW2 apparently - the repairs are now complete ;) - and the room is finished, like the rest of the property, to a very high standard.
The quaintness of the house's age/period has been lovingly retained and it is amazing to see - a brilliant blend of olde worlde and chic modern.
The breakfasts were superb, great quality and presentation. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Geoff, like me likes his cars - always a bonus talk subject in my view.
By the way in case you are not keen on dogs - it's no problem as Gus is very discreet.
We hope to be able to stay with you again in the not too distant future. Thank you for making our holiday - with your great, relaxed, humourous atmostphere!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
What a lovely review, many thanks for your kind words!! The only problem is you have cost us a new car (yes he did buy it!!). We thoroughly enjoyed welconing you to SGF and hope you are able to come back to continue exploring Kent. We are hoping to continue upgrading the accommodation for our guests. Happy motoring!! Regards Caroline & Geoffrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mersham
Eastwell Manor
Premier Inn Ashford (Eureka Leisure Park) Hotel
Burlington Hotel
Burlington Hotel
#2 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to Stone Green Farm? Share your experiences!