“Dead animals? Yes please!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mikeska's Bar-B-Q

Mikeska's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #6 of 27 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Texas
“Dead animals? Yes please!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

I stopped at this restaurant last week on my way from Houston to Austin without knowing anything about it. We walked in and boy, were we surprised. Right off the bat you have to be okay with taxidermied animals staring at you while you eat. Some of the animals on the wall are of the same variety as the meat on your plate. Personally, I was fine with it and enjoyed the experience.

The facilities
As I mentioned earlier, there are animals everywhere -- on the wall, on empty tables, and standing upright handing out mints at the door. It wasn't overtly dirty, but looked as though the place could use a good deep scrubbing. The decor looked as though it had not been updated since 1975 and some of the animals looked as though they also had seen better days. My family enjoyed looking at Mr. Mikeska's vanity wall with celebrities.

The employees
Everyone was nice. The owner was on site and made an appearance in the dining room.

The food
My kids had the BBQ sandwich and fries. It was good and reasonably priced. My husband and I had the BBQ plates, which I thought were a bit pricy for what we got. It was good and certainly satisfied my growling tummy, although I can't say it was anything special. The food is served cafeteria style and we were able to refill our drinks as needed.

Will I be back next time I'm in the area? Probably -- I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

• Visited July 2014

Houston, Texas
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

This is a cute little place. But 12$ for lunch requires more portion than they give. Ribs were very good. Brisket was fatty and flavorless. Sausage is Mikeska's best product. Pretty good bar b q, but either serve more or charge less. This is not 5 or even 4 star dining.

Austin, Texas
“Great BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I eat here everytime I travel the area. Always consistently good food. The sandwiches are ample and the plates have a great combination for any customer. Desserts are great and the sodas always cold.

Visited October 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“A pleasant surprise right off the highway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Driving to San Antonio on I-10 from Houston we were looking for a decent place to have lunch. Punched in restaurants on our GPS and Mikeskas came up about 5 minutes up ahead from where we were on the highway so we pulled in. We each had brisket and ribs with 3 sides for about $12.00 each. Both were very tender, lean and flavorful. Sides were fine - nothing special but overall good quality and price. Lots of stuffed animal heads on the walls - fun place!

Visited July 2014
Elba, Alabama
“Great que ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I had beef and sausage .both are real good .sauce tastes homemade. Cole slaw is OK .banana pudding to finish it off was great