“First time but not our last - Great Texas BBQ”
Review of Mikeska's Bar-B-Q

Mikeska's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #7 of 27 Restaurants in Columbus
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stopped by Mikeska's after a 40 mile bike ride in greater Columbus, TX area because we were very hungry after a long ride and not expecting a lot. We were pleasantly surprised. WOW! Fantastic food.
We've eaten at several bbq places after moving to Texas and this one is in our top 10... probably even in our top 5. My wife and I both had the ribs which were excellent. They were properly cooked with a little bit of "snap" left in them where you have to pull the meat from the bone but not so much that you lose a tooth in the attempt.
It is hard to comment on the service since, like most TX bbq joints, you order at the counter and specify which side items you want, but the staff was very helpful.
If you don't mind seeing mounted deer, boar and cow heads on the walls, this is a place to stop for food between Houston and San Antonio.
We'll certainly be back.

1  Thank kmcdyer

Reviewed August 3, 2011

Carnivore travelers on I-10 west of Houston should stop here instead of the chain restaurants along the interstate. For about the same price, you'll have a big, tasty, Texas barbecue meals.

I'm a former Texan, and this is the real deal. There are five meats (beef brisket, chopped beef, ribs, chicken, and sausage) ordered one of three ways: (1) by the pound; (2) in a sandwich; or (3) on a platter with three sides. This may not be the best barbecue in the state, but Texas has high standards, and this will impress all but the choosiest lovers of barbecue.

This area of Texas was populated by Czech immigrants, and this is a family owned and run business by some of their descendants. The walls are covered with taxidermy (two polar bears greet you at the door), photos of local teams and community affairs, as well as the county's pick for best iced tea. Mr. Jerry Mikeska comes out to greet everyone, and gives the kids dollar coins from the U.S. mint.

The meats themselves have a hearty smokehouse taste. The brisket (the definitive Texas barbecue) has that definitive smoke line along the side. My brisket was lean and tender-- not greasy, and in the true spirit of Texas, I skipped the sauce and enjoyed the taste of the smoke meat. I was delighted by the chicken: tender, juicy, and smoke-infused. You can get a whole chicken to go for only six dollars! Don't underestimate this lowly bird at Mikeska's.

Great sides. The usual potato salad, cole slaw, and ranch beans. But also potatoes & onions, carrots, green beans, seasoned rice, and banana pudding.

My plate (2 meats and three sides) was $9, and I was back on the interstate in less than 30 minutes.

1  Thank CuriousExploreTravel
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We were very pleasantly surprised with this BBQ. Were travelling by car from Atlanta to LA (road trip), stopping at weird and funny locations - this is the one I really remember fondly.
Food was good (very tender brisket), spicy sauces were available, even Mr Mikeska went out to meet us. There were stuffed animals around that everyone wanted to touch - and there was the most surprising message "no tips, your service is enough". We loved it.
If I'll ever be in Texas again, I'll go to this BBQ.

Reviewed December 29, 2009

This place is a little odd to get to from I-10, but is generally worth it. I travel from Houston to Austin on a regular basis and have stopped here several times.

The BBQ is genuine and is pretty much no frills. It you want a taste of Texas, this is a good place to stop. I've stopped at other BBQ places on I-10 and won't go back. I look forward to going back to this place.

The only place to get "as good" or better BBQ on I-10 is in Luling or to go north of I-10 to Lockhart -- The BBQ Capital of Texas.

1  Thank Brooks805
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Jerry Mikeska has been around forever...and even catered my wedding :) BBQ chicken is great, as is most everything on the menu, although I wasn't loving my chopped beef sandwich today. The BBQ sauce could have used a little extra kick, too. The kids love all the stuffed animals (think taxidermy, not teddy bears) on the walls.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook