“Good Choice”

Baymont Inn & Suites Columbus
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband, son, 2 daughters, daughter-in-law and two grandkids stayed one night, in two rooms with double beds in both. We picked this hotel because we only needed a night stay, and didn't see the point in paying over a $100 for someplace we basically only needed a bed/bath for. Both rooms were roomy, bathrooms were adaquate, beds very comfortable. Breakfast was okay with a tad more then we expected for the price (make your own waffles, sausage, omelets (small, but that's ok), bagels, cereal...). They do advertise free wifii, but we couldn't get a connection and the front desk only suggested we come downstairs and log in. We didn't take her up on it, and shelved the idea of getting online. I felt it was an excellent value for the money and would stay here again if necessary.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 24, 2012

When we arrived at the hotel we were advised that an error had been made on our reservation and we were upgrading to a larger room. The room was very nice and big with full kitchen but when you open the door ,the smell of smoke just took your breath. Every time the air condtioner came on the smell was worse. All of our clothes and bags smelled like smoke when we left. I filled out a comment card and gave it to the front desk clerk as we checked out and he advised that the hotel was a smoke free hotel. He did ask the staff to go and check on the room but did not offer to make it right with us. Of course he couldnt change the fact that someone has been smoking in the room but he didnt seem real concerned. I dont think we would stay here again unless I could check out the room first.Oh and the dirty socks we found under the edge of the bed were not ours.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mary s
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The hotel is very nice BUT you get ZERO CELL PHONE RECEPTION! I called down to the front desk with my concern and was told that they do have a problem with cell phone reception due to the design of the building. BUT if you get right up to the window you will get better reception. I was staying at the hotel by myself and didn't feel safe.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank tj1311998
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay, very comfortable bed, nice furnishings, breakfast was very good, but the front desk staff could have been friendly. The housekeeping staff was very friendly though. We would stay here again because fortunately you only have to deal with the front desk at a minimum.
I don't understand the other review that describes this hotel as "disgusting" & a "dump". Believe me, I've stayed in plenty of hotels, we travel & move at least 6 times a year & this hotel is NOT a dump.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank junipurrwind
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The room was clean and I didn't have to wait in line to check in. That pretty much sums it up. I did have a problem however. I made an effort to call this hotel before driving 100 miles ( 2 hours) because it was VITAL that I have in room wireless internet access. I was told that they did, so I booked a room over the phone. The first thing you see when you check in is a cardboard sign from the wireless internet provider, advertising their great service. I get in the room, turn on my i-pad, turn on my wireless on my cellphone, NO WIRELESS! Every 5 minutes or so the wireless from the hotel would pop onto my screen on my phone, but not long enough to connect.

I called the front desk. The attendant was not very helpful, not very interested, and not very forthcoming. The reason I say that is, I called twice. The 2nd time I asked if I was the only person reporting trouble. She replied "yes". Then I asked if she was sure that it was working, and she replied "yes, because a lot of people are calling.". That didn't make sense to me. So I asked... "so a lot of people are calling to tell you that the wireless is working?" She said, "no, uh... they're calling for the password". Well, I happen to be a network engineer... so, one thing I DO know is that when you have an open wireless connection, there is NO password, and there would be NO reason for anyone to call the front desk and ask for a password is because once your device recognizes an open network, and you click "connect" ... it just connects. So, my thought is that a LOT of people called to ask if there was something going on with the wireless.

I asked the front desk if I could move to a different room, one closer to the access point. She told me they were sold out. I can't confirm that or not, but there were several empty parking spaces in the lot. Finally, I asked her if she could reset the access point. She reluctantly said yes, but never did it. Instead she offered me use of the computer in the business center downstairs. I finally asked her to give me the number of the wireless internet provider, which she gave me (In my opinion, she should have made the call, not me). I called them, spoke to a guy named Eric who couldn't help me.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend staying here based on the fact that the customer service was poor, in my opinion. If they had at least TRIED to help me, I wouldn't have taken it so bad.

Room Tip: Stay next door at the La Quinta.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tommeny
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Despite your high rating, this place is a dump! It was taken over by Comfort Inns last summer but little has been done to bring it up to their standards. Granted, the rate was lower than the competition in Columbus, but it was pretty disgusting. The service was good, in fact the desk clerk personally showed us two other rooms, but neither had the two queen beds we needed.
The iniital room we were assigned had a broken dead bolt. There was mold around the bathtub and nothing looked very clean.Even the sheets were suspect. We would never stay here again, especially when there is a good LaQuinta next door.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the end away from the highway noise, if you must stay here!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Enjoyed breakfast and environment. Enjoyed my stay over all. Beds were comfortable, rooms were nice and modern. It is close to 2 restaurants, some fast food options, and gas stations. But it was still quiet and not too busy in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Amarie D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
La Quinta Inn & Suites Columbus
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Schulenburg
Motel 6 Weimar, TX
Motel 6 Weimar, TX
#1 of 1 in Weimar

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Columbus? Share your experiences!