“The hotel is just ok, but the customer service was bad”

Baymont Inn & Suites Columbus
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Columbus
Austin, TX
“The hotel is just ok, but the customer service was bad”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The room was clean and I didn't have to wait in line to check in. That pretty much sums it up. I did have a problem however. I made an effort to call this hotel before driving 100 miles ( 2 hours) because it was VITAL that I have in room wireless internet access. I was told that they did, so I booked a room over the phone. The first thing you see when you check in is a cardboard sign from the wireless internet provider, advertising their great service. I get in the room, turn on my i-pad, turn on my wireless on my cellphone, NO WIRELESS! Every 5 minutes or so the wireless from the hotel would pop onto my screen on my phone, but not long enough to connect.

I called the front desk. The attendant was not very helpful, not very interested, and not very forthcoming. The reason I say that is, I called twice. The 2nd time I asked if I was the only person reporting trouble. She replied "yes". Then I asked if she was sure that it was working, and she replied "yes, because a lot of people are calling.". That didn't make sense to me. So I asked... "so a lot of people are calling to tell you that the wireless is working?" She said, "no, uh... they're calling for the password". Well, I happen to be a network engineer... so, one thing I DO know is that when you have an open wireless connection, there is NO password, and there would be NO reason for anyone to call the front desk and ask for a password is because once your device recognizes an open network, and you click "connect" ... it just connects. So, my thought is that a LOT of people called to ask if there was something going on with the wireless.

I asked the front desk if I could move to a different room, one closer to the access point. She told me they were sold out. I can't confirm that or not, but there were several empty parking spaces in the lot. Finally, I asked her if she could reset the access point. She reluctantly said yes, but never did it. Instead she offered me use of the computer in the business center downstairs. I finally asked her to give me the number of the wireless internet provider, which she gave me (In my opinion, she should have made the call, not me). I called them, spoke to a guy named Eric who couldn't help me.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend staying here based on the fact that the customer service was poor, in my opinion. If they had at least TRIED to help me, I wouldn't have taken it so bad.

Room Tip: Stay next door at the La Quinta.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tommeny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Antonio
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Despite your high rating, this place is a dump! It was taken over by Comfort Inns last summer but little has been done to bring it up to their standards. Granted, the rate was lower than the competition in Columbus, but it was pretty disgusting. The service was good, in fact the desk clerk personally showed us two other rooms, but neither had the two queen beds we needed.
The iniital room we were assigned had a broken dead bolt. There was mold around the bathtub and nothing looked very clean.Even the sheets were suspect. We would never stay here again, especially when there is a good LaQuinta next door.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the end away from the highway noise, if you must stay here!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Austin
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Enjoyed breakfast and environment. Enjoyed my stay over all. Beds were comfortable, rooms were nice and modern. It is close to 2 restaurants, some fast food options, and gas stations. But it was still quiet and not too busy in the area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Amarie D
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I had to leave very early this morning to make sure that I got through Houston before rush hour traffic so we missed breakfast. Parking was a little tight for our Penske truck rental -- helping my girlfriend move. Would stay again; this used to be the Best Western.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FlaglerPalms
Payson, Utah
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel had big rooms which were clean, comfortable and quiet. They also had a good breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Connie S
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2011

La Quinta did not have any rooms so I checked out the Atrium next door. The outside looks very plain but the inside was so nice, new, less than a year and very modern. Fridge and microwave in the rooms. Granite in the shower, great bed. Accepting our dog was nice, great places to walk him and restruants next door and across the street. I was disappointed that this is their only Inn since we are traveling across the country. The breakfast room had everything and the staff was great. Suggesting a better route to El Paso and where to eat.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We picked this hotel from a guidebook, thinking it was a typical Best Western, which are usually good, but in my mind unexceptional.
The front desk was very helpful with reservations and arrangements once we got here. The room was beautifully decorated in a contemporary style, as is the rest of the hotel. They were still finishing up their remodeling efforts, so a couple of little things, but still a great spot.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank OCHardscape
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
La Quinta Inn & Suites Columbus
Motel 6 Weimar, TX
#1 of 1 in Weimar
Best Western Plus Schulenburg Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Schulenburg

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Columbus? Share your experiences!