“Fairly nice place to stay -- but will need to improve”

Hilton College Station & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in College Station
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
“Fairly nice place to stay -- but will need to improve”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2006

I was part of a 40 person business group that stayed at this hotel in early August, 2006. We did not have our meeting at the hotel, but on the Texas A&M campus. We are Federal employees and received a government rate of $69/night. That was a good price for the rooms and service. This hotel used to be the only hotel above three stars in the Bryan-College Station area. However, many more hotel chains have moved into the area in the last 10 years. The Hilton is still probably the nicest full-service hotel, but I'm not sure it would be the best value compared to a moderate "suites" hotel. The location is excellent, about a five minute drive from the Texas A&M campus, and close to many restaurants (within walking or driving distance). I would look around a bit if you are price conscious, but if you don't want to spend a lot of effort and are a Hilton Honors member, this hotel is fine.

• Liked — Location and nice public areas
  • Disliked — Probably not worth the money unless you get a special rate
  • Tips/Secrets — Look for a special rate (Government, AAA, etc.)
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jon Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2006

My husband and I stayed in a king whirlpool suite, a corner room on the bottom floor. The room was clean, the bed was sooo comfortable and the whirlpool was more like a 4 person jacuzzi in an enclosed room connected to our suite. Much better than the extra large bathtub you get in some suites. The front desk was excellent. They slide your bill under the door and all you have to do to check out is call the front desk to approve your bill. HIlton gets my thumbs up for eliminating the check out hassle. We were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2006

We stayed here for our anniversary in the suites/high rises. It was beautiful and they had EXCELLENT service! We were treated like royalty and anything we wanted was sent right up! The quality of the service, food, people... who WOULDN'T stay here!!??

• Stayed July 2005
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2005

I stayed there for 3 nights.

Pros:
1) Air conditioning is cold enough.
2) High raise building with good view
3) Full hotel service plus pets friendly
4) Near to major high ways, Texas A&M (yet you have to drive anyway), and grocery (Albertson is 1/2 mile away)
5) Free wireless online service with good connection

Cons:
1) The air condition is very noisy (I changed room, but it's almost the same)
2) I heard sounds (chatting & TV) next door very clearly
3) Bad housekeeping, body lotion is something that you have to request; the room is always not totally cleaned after housekeeping. Table are not cleaned, coffee is not refilled, soap is not refilled, etc.
4) No shuttle service from hotel to nearby airport (it's just 4 miles away; they have shuttle to everywhere else but not the airport)
5) Fitness center was small, thus not everything works there
6) Closet doors can't open nor close
7) Washroom are so small. You have to stand right next to the toilet if you want to close the door.

Compared to other Hilton hotel, I was quite disappointed by this one. Although they automatically upgraded me to the Hilton HHonor room the day on my arrival, the service and environment are just not satisfactory. However, it is still a good hotel compared to the surrounding hotels.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nationwide Traveler
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2005

I've stayed in this Hotel for 3 days now and have not been impressed.

Positives:
- Location. It's very convenient to Campus (not walking distance but near University Ave and Texas Ave).
- Has all the items of a full service hotel - Gift Shop, Restaurant, Room Service, Weight room, etc.
- Good internet connection (I did have problems a couple of nights but nothing too drastic).
- Room Service. I had a Hamburger that was great last night.

Negatives:
- Sound ... I could hear the guy next door cough like he was in the same room. The sounds from the TV on the other side came right through as well.
- The door in the bathroom got in the way numerous times. I had to shut the door to be able to sit on the toilet or get into the shower.
- The doors on the closet wouldn't stay open. It was quite annoying to have to hold open the door the entire time I was getting stuff out of the closet.
- It's a little hard to get on University if you want to go left (east). West or towards campus is no problem.
- The breakfast was weak and the complimentary breakfast they gave me (because I'm a Hilton Honors Diamond or whatever) didn't cover the "hot items" as the waitress stated. "That's 2 dollars more".
- For all you HHonors people, there is not a Concierge level.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank Adogg
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2005

We recently stayed at this hotel when we took our cat to the vet school at Texas A&M University. He has cancer and was there for evaluation for chemotherapy. Needless to say, it was a very stressful trip for us because of our poor kitty's condition.

This hotel, like many in this area near the vet school, is pet-friendly. They readily accepted my pet without any hassle, helped me carry his cage up to the room, were helpful with directions to the vet school. When I left, I forgot my cat's records in the room. I called over and they found them and faxed them over. Being a HH gold member, we got an upgrade to a deluxe room and free breakfast. Although we didn't stay for lunch, they had a buffet with very reasonable prices--can't comment on the quality.

That was an extremely stressful trip for us. The hotel didn't add to the stress. They did what any hotel is supposed to do--provide a clean,comfortable room, decent service, polite employees. They actually acted like running a hotel was their business, unlike some hotels, who act like the running of a hotel is some sort of mystery they can't figure out. We will be going back to the vet school there and definitely will stay at the College Station Hilton again.

• Stayed May 2005
2 Thank GoldenTraveler
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2004

The Hilton at College Station has nicely equipped and well maintained rooms: good size rooms, adequate lighting, high speed internet connection, and large and well-equipped bathrooms. And it is worth the extra $$ to reserve a corner room.

The downside is this: room service is very spotty, and disappointing - the hot water for my tea arrived in a 6 oz. water glass (!) with a single tea-bag, at a $2.50 charge. The dining room is expensive for the region, with a $4.00 surchage for potatoes or vegetables, to accompany an entree priced at $18/20.

Standards of service - and value for money - need to be raised.

• Stayed July 2004, traveled on business