“3rd visit - not a winner.”
Review of Hullabaloo Diner

Hullabaloo Diner
Ranked #22 of 296 Restaurants in College Station
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Have been to Diner 3 times, this visit decided to try the spaghetti w/ meatballs - "just like Momma makes." Nope. The spaghetti came and it had not been drained - the bottom of the foam plate was full of water, which made the marina sauce a very runny red, watery sauce. Very skimpy on sauce - mostly a plate of mushy noodles in water. I never have sent something back to the kitchen, so this was my 1st time to do so. Got the chef salad as I didn't want to try the spaghetti sloush. And the salad was a nice size but while it had bread crumbs with garlic seasoning some of them oddly tasted like they had cinnamon. The diner makes giant cinnamon rolls, and the crumbs taste was so unusual it made me wonder if leftover rolls used as croutons for salad. ? Don't think we will go again - If I rated this visit on only the spaghetti, would have been poor rating.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We went very late on a Saturday night. In fact, we walked in at about 8:45 pm and didn't realize they closed at 9 until after we had ordered. So we had no wait for our party of 8 to be seated, but we did have to separate to two tables of 4. It is a small diner space with mostly booths of 4 and a long diner bar with stool seating. Great, nostalgic-style décor - not fancy, or new at all. We were an exhausted group, starving after a hot football game day so we didn't expect much and just wanted to eat, but boy were we pleased with our food. My husband ordered the large serving of pancakes and received a GIGANTIC set of 4 cakes of which he ate 1 1/2, shared the other 1/2 and still had 2 for breakfast the next day. I ordered the Chef's Special tuna melt and got the fanciest, tastiest tuna melt/salad -- it wasn't a sandwich at all, which normally would've disappointed me but this was more like an open-faced sandwich/salad infusion with a great mayo-based cream sauce covered in pickled red onions, slices of hard-boiled egg and greens. After a day of stadium food, it hit the spot! The teenagers with us each had omelets made to order and both felt they were the best omelets ever. My 15-year-old also thought his sawmill gravy was the best he'd had. 12-year-old son devoured his meatball sandwich. I really wanted to order pie to go, but opted to help hubby with his pancakes as my dessert -- Yum! They were so thick that they gave the word 'cake' actual credibility in this version of a pancake.

I did notice a huge treat on a cake dish and found it was a 'small' loaf-sized cinnamon roll. I took one to go and we all snacked on it for breakfast the next day -- it was thick with cream cheese icing (at least 1 inch high) and I can imagine if it were fresh would have been amazing. Even for a day old+ pastry, it got devoured with no complaints next day. I can't wait to go back and I am thinking it will be worth the wait if we go at prime time instead of just before closing. Besides they have board games on the patio outside so if we have to wait, we'll occupy ourselves with those and thoughts of the yumminess awaiting us inside.

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Food here is the best in College Station in my opinion. Wide variety from breakfast, to pizzas, to Elvis fries. I have never tried anything that wasn't awesome. They also have a live band playing on weekends and a bar that serves mimosas and michelatas. If you are visiting aggieland this is the one restaurant that's a must! I have lived in College Station for over decade, so being a local wanted to pay it forward to others on Trip Advisor!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We went there because it was featured on Diners and Drive in. It really is a train car so it's not that big. We had 8 and I think that may be the largest group you can take if you want to sit together and eat inside. There was an outside area and I think a bar too which I didn't go into.

I just had an omelet that was okay. They gave you a lot of potatoes on the side. Couple of people had the breakfast burrito and it was humongous. It pretty much had everything on my plate inside a tortilla. The prices were decent and the portions were good. The paper plates need to go. It's a cool experience to eat inside a train car and I may go back the next time I'm there but not sure if it's worth all the hull la.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We went here recently and waited almost two hours for a table. The patio waiting area is nice and there is a bar with appetizers to help appease your hunger. However, when we actually got into the trailer (yes, the diner is a trailer) we realized why the wait was so long - there's like 10 tables and a counter. We ordered breakfast and it was okay. Nothing extraordinary about it at all. I guess with all the fuss and waiting, I assumed it would be out of this world. It wasn't...