“Great Food and a Show”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2014

As for Hibachi style dining, this was on par with most--and they are generally entertaining. We were one of the lucky tables that had an authentic chef--not a college kid dressed up like one. The food was great, the sushi was delicious (try the roll that is fried crawfish tail, topped with steak--it's great), and everything was rather enjoyable.

The only downside was the wait. We didn't have reservations, and had to wait about an hour to get a table--luckily the bar was easily accessible and the provides a good lace to mingle and relax.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We truly enjoy the hibachi style dining experience and have had many wonderful meals in this type of restaurant. Atami was by far the worst we have ever experienced. We were in College Station for a special event honoring our A&M student. As experienced hibachi patrons, we understand the "fill the table" philosophy. As we were seated, the hostess placed the menus and skipped a seat between the couple already seated and our party of 5, we followed her seating assignments. Minutes later, we were asked to scoot over a seat, so we did. They NEVER sat the other seats, only made us move to make the management happy. Hope the manager is happy, we were not.

To the service, we only saw the waiter when he was taking our orders and delivering the drinks, salads and soups. Once the hibachi chef appeared, service literally disappeared. Drinks left empty and worse of all, one of our guests ordered off the appetizer menu and they completely forgot her order. Once we found someone to ask, they rushed out a barely cooked chicken skewer that was completely inedible. To their credit, it was removed from the bill.

To chicken and contamination issues. We are very conscience of cross contamination in this style of restaurant when dealing with poultry. MOST places will separate the chicken and at least wipe the knives and spatula after it is in contact with raw chicken. Not only did this chef use the same utensils directly on the vegetables and steak after touching the chicken, he once used the towel meant for this purpose to whip the sweat off of his face and head and then proceed to use the same towel on the hibachi table! The final closing touch was when he sneezed directly on the tray with all the hibachi supplies. So disgusted we could not eat our meals.

This is the first time ever we have walked away from a hibachi table without taking every bit of leftover food. Our plates were left untouched, and service didn't care enough to inquire why. As an overall dining experience, I rate this a complete ZERO. Will never return.

2  Thank relaxalot2
Reviewed October 7, 2013

After reading the mixed reviews I wasn't sure what I was getting into. I had a pleasant experience. I was greeted promptly at the bar. Very nice server, always smiling and attentive. I sat in front of the fish and the chefs( I don't know what u call them) greeted me as well and asked me if I needed anything else and how the food was. The sushi was alright. I've had better but I left very satisfied...and that's good enough for me :)

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were thrilled beyond belief to find a Japanese Restaurant in the area that had a grill. We walked in and the atmosphere was fantastic. We walked up to the hostess and she said that it would be a few minutes because she had to get our table ready. We were taken back to a grill that seated 12 people and they squeezed us on a corner for 3 and told us that we had to stay there in case somebody else showed up. No one else showed up. The waiter never told us that we could move. He took our order. The chef finally came and never spoke to us. This was by far the worst service that we have ever had by basically a cook at a Japanese Restaurant. The so called chef was more interested in the pro football game going on over his shoulder than cooking our meal. He kept on turning around and watching the football game. This went on throughout the entire presentation and he hurridly left the area.
The food was not cooked to order. The fried rice was mushy and over salted. The miso soup was watery. He did not cook our main courses as we requested.
We will never return to this restaurant. We were very disappointed. This was more a bar instead of a nice restaurant.

1  Thank RetiredCoppers
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have been there three times, all wonderful. First two at the big table with the chef preparing the food, no complaints, both times great fresh food and service. Latest visit, with son, visiting him at college and wanted a quick Sunday lunch. We opted for a regular table, I had a fish based Bento Box meal, miso soup, meal was so tasty and, my son had a chicken lunch, forgot actual title, but he loved it. The server was wonderful. I would not hesitate to suggest this place to anyone, after three positive experiences, they are doing things right. Prices very fair also. Have been to several other places in the area, larger chain places, no more....will stick to this place where I know the food is fresh and service perfect.