“Excellent food and service”
Review of The Republic

The Republic
Reserve with OpenTable
The Republic is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Food is excellent with a variety of tastes that complement the entree well. Service staff made excellent recommendation of wine to complement the meal. Portions not large but reasonable and filling. We shared two desserts 3 ways as we couldn't decide which to try. Rich and delish.

2  Thank Peggy A

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Always enjoy dinner here. Have eaten here many times and food and service are always above average. A great place to celebrate special occasions. Pork loin at last meal was a bit dry but have always had great steaks and appetizers. One of the top two restaurants in B/CS.

3  Thank Hayes39
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Had the beef short rib entre. Let me just say it was one of the best plates of food I have had in the Brazos Valley. One of my favorite places in Texas. This place is awesome.

2  Thank Gaturnip
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The spouse and I enjoyed a lovely dinner here to celebrate Valentine's Day. I made reservations about a month in advance for the Saturday following Valentine's Day due to our work schedules. I'm told that more advance notice would have been required for dining on Valentine's Day.

Our table was ready on time so we went directly to our table. Decor is rich, dark, warm wood with the smell of leather from the chairs. Dress is business casual or more formal.

We ordered starters, dinner and desserts. For starters we got the cheese sampler and salted caramel steak. The cheese sampler included a bleu, a brie, manchego, and English cheddar served with a bacon and bourbon jam and a variety of crostini. Everything was delicious. The bleu was attenuated with honey and candied pecans. The salted caramel steak was a small appetizer sized steak cooked perfectly with a salted caramel sauce and shoestring fries. Perfectly cooked, and I used a butter knife to cut the steak. The sauce worked well with the steak, which was a pleasant surprise.

For entrees I got the scallops and my spouse got a boneless rib eye. Steaks are served without sides, however we got an order of roasted potatoes on the side. The scallops were dusted with mushrooms and served with pesto orzo, roasted pine nuts, basil and cherry tomatoes. Everything was delicious and perfectly prepared with a large enough serving to take home left overs from both meals. Because our meals were so different we also got wines by the glass from their good selection.

For dessert we got cookies and milk,and the scotch creme brulee. The cookies and milk were two bar-style cookies featuring dark chocolate chips and coconut. The milk part was a bourbon milkshake that was delicious enough to be its own menu item. The scotch creme brulee was served with almond shortbread bar style cookies that were delicious in their own right and the scotch creme brulee was delectable, even to someone like myself who does not like scotch.

The Republic is a lovely special occasion restaurant. We will definitely be back. The restaurant also has a bar area where people congregate to have a high-end glass of scotch, bourbon or other specialties of the house. You can get the food served at the bar, and I might end up doing that to have some of the milk and cookies in the future.

Service was good. The server was knowledgeable without being snobby. Our server has been working at this restaurant for 3 years and knows the menu and restaurant well.

The prices were very good. They're on the high end of what you will pay in College Station, but this meal would be far more expensive if it was served in Houston, Austin, or Dallas.

1  Thank Shutter_Bug
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The service at this restaraunt was impeccable. I felt like we were at a Four Season's hotel. Attentive, friendly and knowledgable about the various food/wine choices. The food was excellent. We enjoyed chicken friend oysters - the apple kimchi flavoring was delicious! My son had the 14 oz strip and I enjoyed the scallop dinner. Both items were amazing. The only drawback to our meal was the "grown up" version of Mac and Cheese. It was dry and had very little taste. Only other negative was how loud the restaruant was. We arrived around 6:00, which may have been in the midst of happy hour. Lots of loud folks around the bar area.

Overall, great experience, great restaraunt.

2  Thank ilona s