“Plato would have rolled his eyes!”
Review of The Republic

The Republic
Reserve with OpenTable
The Republic is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Plato would have rolled his eyes!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Dark, frumpy and pretentious; this strip center eatery means well but fails in the execution.
You have all been to this place before: great spirits and wine list and an interesting menu. While the makings of a lovely evening are present it doesn't come together.
The ambiance is old school and doesn't quite fit the strip center location, the service is college student amateurish and the food fails.
I ordered a bone in ribeye (a la carte) and asparagus. The ribeye was requested medium rare and charred. The meat I got was too fatty (even for a ribeye) and appeared grilled rather than charred. I didn't enjoy it.
The fried shrimp appeared limp and bland.
The short ribs were served on a bed of what appeared to be a polenta. O.K.
The big winner of the night appeared to be a Cajun fish dish with crawfish tails.
While I would probably dine here if I lived here and had no options; I would prefer to save my money or eat a steak at a chain and save half.
I wouldn't recommend it.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank FilsProdigue

Arkansas
“Fabulous”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We ate here the night before the AR vs. A&M game, the service was awesome, as were all the Aggie fans,they could not have been more welcoming to us Razorback fans and the meal was fabulous. I thinks I had a bite of everyone one of the sides and they were all great. Needless to say that this was one of the highlights of our weekend as we are AR fans!!! LOL

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Razorbackmomma
College Station, Texas
“Food just wasn't that good”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Here was our meal:

Bottle of wine. We asked our waiter for a suggestion and he did not know anything about the Syrahs we wanted to drink. Not a terrible indictment, but the best restaurants have better staff, or at least a sommelier.

Bread and butter. Both incredibly salty.

Grilled Chimichurri steak appetizer. Again, overly salty. The meat was perfectly cooked, but had a liver taste, which is sometimes unavoidable on some cuts of meat, so we didn't blame them too much. We found the chimichurri pretty awful.

Arugala salad. Incredibly over dressed with a dressing that simply was not that tasty.

Shrimp and grits: This was excellent. I'd almost go back for this alone.

Dessert: A chocolate mousse cake. Fine, though nothing out of this world. The sides of strawberries and almond brittle were barely passable.

Overall, the restaurant has an up-scale feel, but our impression is that the chef doesn't really know what he or she is doing (or maybe just can't supervise their kitchen staff).

For a high-brow evening, Christopher's or Veritas are better options. For excellent food in a slightly more relaxed environment, Madden's is the best choice in my opinion. The good news is that we now have a variety of options in BCS. A huge change from just over a decade ago.

• Visited September 2012
5 Thank rwoodwar
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton across the street, which has a resturant inside (not very good).
My husband and I saw The Republic and decided to give it a try, because the parking lot was full.
The ladies at the front found us a lovely booth. We had Shay as our waiter, so professional and everything he recommended we tried. The oysters for app., shared the excellent think cut of the NY Strip on special, with the potatoes and califlower. Even the bread and butter was to die for. Please open one in Corpus Christi, Texas soon!!!

• Visited August 2012
6 Thank Pamela J
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Always wonderful; the food, the service and the atmosphere! They should update their email system to take reservations (or use Open Table). They also need a new chocolate dessert.

Visited June 2012