“Awesome rooms, awesome staff, awesome dinner reception”

Homewood Suites by Hilton College Station
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in College Station
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 2, 2009

This is an awesome hotel!!! The staff is very friendly and they have a full hot breakfast and an amazing dinner reception!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed February 28, 2009

We routinely stay at Homewood Suites around the country and prefer Homewood Suites over the Embassy Suites... both of which are Hilton owned. This Homewood Suites has a few problems, some of which can be easily corrected by management. The biggest problem is that the tub is dangerously slippery! We had to literally hold on to the grab bar in the tub while trying to wash with one hand. Upon checkout I reported this to the front desk clerk who said they'd had this complaint before. She went on to say that they had tub mats that could be put in the tub but that housekeeping does not routinely put them in the tub because they have to be washed... but that guests can request them. I commented that when one is actually IN the tub, it's not exactly convenient to call the front desk for a tub mat! The desk clerk smile and acknowledged my point. Management needs to do something about the slippery tubs before someone falls had has a serious injury!
The breakfast buffet was standard fare and satisfactory for a Homewood Suites breakfast...with the exception of the apple juice which tasted watered down and the highly greasy patty sausage. However, there were no tables available due to the fact that 8 tables had not been cleaned off and the remainder were all occupied. In most Homewood Suites, there are dish containers available for guests to clean off their own tables... however, none were visible on the morning we ate there... which no doubt is WHY the guests were not clearing their own dishes off the table. The poor attendant (there was only one even though the hotel was full), simply could not keep up with maintaining the food AND clearing the tables! Since she spoke very little English, I question whether she could even communicate her need for assistance with management. Management needs to keep an eye out on how the breakfast area is going and provide additional help when needed!
The decor of this hotel is very attractive and comfortable. The suites are quite large and spacious and the decor in the rooms as colorful and attractive. However, we found both beds to be very uncomfortable and both awakened with backaches. The numerous pillows were quite nice, however, The sofa was rather uncomfortable for stretching out and lounging because it is so very narrow.
There is only one icemaker in the hotel available for guest use, so remember to activate your ice maker in the refrigerator or otherwise you'll be headed to the 1st floor to get ice. There is little noise reduction between the individual floors and I was awakened on several occasions by people walking in the room directly above our room... it sounds as if they were running track or something. You might consider taking ear plugs.
This hotel has not yet gone "green" and if one stays in the bathroom for any length of time it can get quite hot with the large overhead spotlight. A simple fluorescent lightbulb might help, although the intensity of the light would be reduced... which some people would not like.
We really liked the booking procedure whereby one can actually look at the floor diagram and choose your suite prior to arrival. The front desk people actually assigned us to the suite we had selected and we were delighted at their attention to detail.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I really liked this hotel, and would definitely choose it again. It is a quick drive to A&M, great restaurants within a short walking distance across the parking lot, and it's new.

We were in College Station to attend my daughter's new student conference at A&M. We didn't eat the COMPLIMENTARY "dinner" which I won't complain about because it is complimentary. Actually, it didn't look very good - bagged salad and costco type heated casserole. I did help myself to the complimentary draft beer. Which was excellent. My suggestion for the hotel is to add some snacks, like chips or pretzels (I did stay at a Home Suites in Dallas and there was snacks) My daughter and myself sat down in the couched area of the lobby to work on her course schedule. Ok, this was my complaint wifi didn't work in our room. We walked over to Pei Wei for dinner (literally, a minute walk).

The hotel was quiet and we slept well. We requested a double queen, and that is what we got. We were happy. The air-conditioning worked well in our room and it was nice and cool in the lobby, but the hallways and elevator are very hot. Minor issue.

Breakfast was a full buffet. No complaints here either. There are lots of items to choose from and it was well stocked. We will be back - it does fill up during busy times - parent weekends and such, so book well ahead. I tried online 3 months before the conference and it was booked, but got a reservation when I called the hotel directly.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2008

This is the very worst Hilton Hotel I've ever had stay at! The elevator on our end of the hotel was broken. We had to go around the hotel or climb 4 flights of stairs. The supper was awful and they only served alcoholic beverages. When I asked for tea or lemonade for the children, I was told I could purchase it! The fan screeched so loud that we couldn't sleep at all. When trying to reach the front desk at 3am there was no answer. When I complained the next morning, after A LOT of hassel, the manager offered to take $20 off of our $210 room rate. Even though we were right at the middle of breakfast time, there wasn't anything out but a few crumbs and some bread. We always stay in the family suites all around the country and I've never had such a horrible experience or such terrible service.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2007

We've stayed at Homewood four or five times now and have never had a bad experience. The front desk personnel are friendly and helpful. The rooms are immaculately kept as is the property. The breakfast offered in the lobby is a great "extra". The rooms are comfortable and clean. Unlike some other hotels, the matresses are a good quality and we always sleep well. The space in a one bedroom suite is wonderful....and the price is right...except if it's a football weekend! You won't be sorry choosing this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank Cherylh407
Reviewed February 7, 2007

I stayed here for 5 nights in mid-October 2006. I was very surprised to see how attractive this place was. It is a new hotel. My room was spacious. Amenities included a dishwasher, silverware, microwave, range, small yet full size refrigerator, sofa, and DVD player. No restaurant on site, but there are several chains within walking distance, and they serve dinner each evening (which I did not take advantage of because I was in town for a conference and most meals were provided). Definitely a repeat.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank reb1964
Reviewed August 14, 2006

Clean rooms, good service, comfortable with a nice central location. Plenty of parking though there is a tendency for people to crowd the shady sides of the building so if you see the parking on one side devoid of cars, that is the reason. The central area is open and pleasant. There is a nice breakfast buffet in the morning that is good as well as a modest but serviceable dinner buffet included in the price of the room. A couple of restaurants are in walking distance of the hotel. Looks like more are being built every week. There is a small pool, a nice excercise room and a reasonable business computing area that is quite helpful. The staff are helpful and attentive.

Stayed: July 2006