“Poor Wait Staff”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2012

5 of us were travelling from Waco back to the Houston area. We stopped for dinner at this restaurant about 7:00pm on 10-4-12. The waiter gave us menus and then did not return to take our orders. We had to ask another staff person to find him and get him back to take our orders. He didn't take our orders until 7:21pm. He returned to the table to ask who was getting a salad, etc. Eventually, the food arrived and it was fine. I paid the bill at 8:11pm after having him tell me he gave us someone else's bill.
This restaurant may be fine but our waiter left a lot to be desired. If he had been trained, it was not obvious. The service ruined our experience with Johnny Carino's in College Station.

1  Thank bu67

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We often eat at Carino's when we have family or friends visit from out of town. The food is good and offers a selection for everyone's tastes.

We have had trouble with their non properly staffing very large parties. if you make reservations for a very large party (20+), make sure to mention that you want at least 2 wait staffers.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

Unlike olive garden, Carino's is a bit more "italian" in its menu items and ambiance. The food is spicier and tastier than OGarden, but still doesnt hit the mark for real Italian food.....Carino's menu items are varied, with some being better than others. The specials are good (skiletinos) as are the "recommended" dishes. Service is not consistent as one time you may be ignored and another time you are given plenty of opportunity to enjoy your dining experience. A bit pricey but no more than anybody else in town.

2  Thank gigem74
Reviewed September 9, 2010

what vain verbalization, what divine appreciation
could do justice, could express
this great love which swells my breast?

for though no connoisseur, no expert to be sure
I am yet quick and able
when it comes to the dinner table.

No stranger to curries, chuno, or clams
having feasted on hummus, hoagies, and hams
I had thought, what error! what horror! what defeat!
for this world had nothing, just nothing left to eat!

Thus had my experience not inconsiderable left me a craving that seemed quite incurable
and so in poor spirits, dejected, unstable!
did I lamenting, sink down to the table.

past each appetizer I chewed with a grimace
and on to the soups and a salad with spinach
but then with a chorus of angels celestial, or was it a growling of something more bestial?
did that platter descend, the vessel awaited
at which I sat back, my breath quite abated

I heard not a word, in profound contemplation
of the wondrous! stunning! olfactory sensation
quite miraculous as health restored to a leper
'here you are sir' she said, 'parmesan? fresh ground pepper?'

But this was too much! What more could one add?
to a dish so adorned, so handsomely clad!
for let down from on high, I was sure it had been
prepared there by angels and yes even Him

But wait, what was this? a devilish hiss?
for there lay a trap, a spice ill concealed!
there were peppers! hot chilis! as some demon might wield!
did my plate then arise to tempt, to tantalize?
or did it from the skies descend with holy cries?

how slowly passed the time, what anguish in my heart!
as I reached out for my fork, and lifted it, to start!

the tines passed through with ease, as the most delicate of cheese
that whitest, moistest flesh and the pasta oh so fresh
but as I raised the morsel, what discovery! what bliss!
as I chanced to behold the tomatoes oh so crisp!

and as it reached my mouth, well words fail me, I admit
for language, so prosaic! so austere when it is writ!
has no place, it lacks proportion, some things lie beyond it's limit.

can I compare the flare of spice to fireworks? to burning ember?
Or soft warmth of fish to summer days? to sun drenched sea? a kiss so tender?
The crunch of tomato, the crackle of spinach
and before I realized, I had quite finished.

the garlic yet lingered, light in the air
the sting of jalapeno quite potently there
the pasta all gone now, the sauces quite scant
to convey the experience, I'm sorry, I just can't

I'm sorry to say, but it will have to suffice
that try it you must, it's really quite nice!
and so hope restored! I went on my way
singing, ecstatic, oh what a day!

- Jalapeno Garlic Tilapia
At Johnny Carino's

1  Thank gobofongo
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Haven't been to Carino's in a couple of years due to the noise level. Decided to give it another try. The waiter didn't put our appetizer order in--nor did he offer to order after we realized that we hadn't received it (as he brought our entrees). The waiter seemed much more interested in visiting with the female waitresses. I ordered the spicy chicken and shrimp penne pasta. Bland and tasteless. The white cream sauce tasted like cream gravy used for biscuits and gravy, without the pepper. We were really looking forward to a good dessert but decided not to risk it. To top the evening off, when I got up from the table I had tomato sauce on the back of my pants--even though I didn't have anything with tomato sauce on it. I guess they have given up cleaning the tables and seats along with good service and tasty food. Won't be back.

2  Thank jm0reland