“Always have to stop here”
Review of Dixie Chicken

Dixie Chicken
Ranked #13 of 289 Restaurants in College Station
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This a wonderful country styled bar with a rich history. I must go here every time I'm in College Station, even if it's just for a quick beer. I have tried the cheese and crackers and they are great. The staff has always been friendly. The big beers are wonderful on a hot day. Just once you have to buy a bottled beer so you can throw your cap in the alley outside. Also, if you're a guy, you must go pee on the ice, just be sure to read the signs.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I remembered eating here years ago and had good recollections of it. Things have changed. We ordered from the menu which is posted on the wall just above the cashier's counter. We ordered a chicken fried steak sandwich, a BLT and two Shiner beers. When it was rung up, it came to $4.00 more than priced on the menu. The beer was priced on the menu at $2.50 but came up $4.00 each on the receipt. The food items each came up at 25 cents above the posted prices. When I brought this to the attention of the young lady at the counter she said she would check with management to see what she should do. So we went on and got our order and were seated. The food was passable and pretty much what you can expect from a greasy spoon cafe. The chicken fried steak is not hand breaded but appears to be a factory processed one. The bacon was good and lean. The food itself would not have caused me to complain but when I went back to find what the verdict had been on the price, I was told that Shiner beer is $4.00 a bottle, with no further explanation. When I pointed out that Shiner is a domestic beer and is in fact brewed just down the road in Shiner ,Texas, the girl at the counter just looked at me sheepishly and said, "Sorry." That was it....end of story. This is a shabby way to do business. I will not be back and will tell others my opinion that I was treated wrong at the Dixie Chicken.

1  Thank farout75
Reviewed October 2, 2012

If I were reviewing this purely on food it would be a 4 or 5. If were based purely on the atmosphere it would be a 1 or 2. First and foremost for those who have never been, the Dixie Chicken is predominantly a burger joint so don't be fooled by the name. The burgers were great. Well prepared, plump and juicy full of flavor and reasonably priced for the amount you receive. The place is a college hang out so expect it to be jam packed on weekends and particularly after A&M home football games. I would definitely recommend going once if for no other reason to say you have. As for the atomosphere, it is an older, hole in the wall, college town type place and my biggest problem is that it smelled like a frat house on Sunday morning. The stench of dried beer was overwhelming and we were there early enough in the afternoon that it should not have been that bad. I am not sure I would ever go back but overall I am glad I did ONCE.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

If you are only to go to one restaurant/bar in Bryan/College Station. this is the one. Just something special about it that is hard to describe. Maybe it is finding someone famus that 'carved their name into the wood at the chicken', or maybe it is carving your own name into the wood. Cold beer, country music, and just a cool atmosphere, kind of like Luckenbach, but in the middle of a city.

Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

The kids wanted to eat here but when we walked in the smell knocked us down! Im not sure what it was, old grease, burnt grease or old chicken. Most of us had to go outside because of the smell. The whole place just looked & felt nasty. We will not be back!

1  Thank Queeny259