“Fantastic food”

Ranked #11 of 270 Restaurants in College Station
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Real Mexican food is a feast for the senses. From colorful peppers to the sounds of sizzling fajitas all the way to that incredible flavor. Each mouthful is just as much a result of the freshest ingredients as it is a result of the chef's expertise. Abuelo's offers diners the opportunity to experience real Mexican food, combining authentic, made from scratch classic dishes with the rich, subtle flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine. Our executive Chef Luis Sanchez has spent decades perfecting our menu, and we boast a wide selection of wood-grilled fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, chile rellenos or Abuelo's unique House Specialties (depending on your location). To compliment your meal, our expert bartenders are masters at crafting signature favorites, including a wide variety of margaritas and swirls. Whatever the occasion, we'll stop at nothing to make your time at Abuelo's a memorable dining experience.
College Station, Texas
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Last Thursday after I picked up my 6 year old from school, I surprised him by stopping off here for dinner. I had a back injury, and I really didn't feel like trying to stand up and cook when I got home. So, this was nice.

We both got the ground beef enchiladas with double rice. Fantastic food. For once, my son cleaned his plate completely.

We've been here to eat many, many times. In fact, it is the only place we go to eat Mexican food here in College Station.

Highly recommend this place! I did have one negative experience that I previously wrote about in a past review. But normally, service is great (and it was this time as well)

• Visited January 2014

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“The green stuff!”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Went to Abuelo's tonight - four of us; first time for two.

The ambience, menu and plating are Mexican d'jour. No surprises, nothing transcendent, nothing horrible.

The food, taste-wise, however was exceptional. The green salsa is the standout (IMHO) and there's nothing to compare it to other than a lime-sweet-pepper that's almost more Asian than Mexican.

However, flavors are rich and varied in a genre that tends to favor flat profiles...hard to describe other than expect lively tastes; the only complaint was the Mexican Rice was bland (which it usually is anywhere else too) but based on the rest of the menu, I expected it to be equally exceptional.

Service was fast, unobtrusive, pleasant. Nothing awesome but we really provided no opportunity to BE awesome anyway.

Recommended.

Visited January 2014
Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Good food”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Food is good here. My co-worker loves this place. It has a nice décor inside, you feel like you are eating outside. But I have to admit that I had better Mexican in College Station. If you are out for a business lunch and crave Mexican, you can't go wrong with this place.

Visited December 2013
College Station, Texas
“Great meal”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I've written reviews about this place before - it's a common food place my family goes to eat when we want Mexican food. I usually don't go anywhere else BUT Abuelos for Mexican in College Station.

I took my 6 year old son with me for dinner, after I picked him up from school in the evening. I surprised him by pulling into the parking lot. He loves the ground beef enchiladas as much as I do. So, he was very happy to eat there.

The place is not typically as packed as it once was. Makes it easier to get seated usually. However, the overall food and/or service has NOT declined. So, I am not sure why attendance appears to be less than it once was, when other places like Cheddar' is always packed.

I do plan to eat there again! Great food!

• Visited December 2013
Texas
“Excellent Mexican Cuisine”
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Looking for a high end restaurant but you want that Mexican flavor? This is the place. Unique dishes, great service and wonderful atmosphere. This is not a run of the mill place but instead one with a uniqueness that sets it far above many restaurants - Mexican or not.

Visited November 2013