“Great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #12 of 267 Restaurants in College Station
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Real Mexican food is a feast for the senses. From colorful peppers to the sounds of sizzling fajitas all the way to that incredible flavor. Each mouthful is just as much a result of the freshest ingredients as it is a result of the chef's expertise. Abuelo's offers diners the opportunity to experience real Mexican food, combining authentic, made from scratch classic dishes with the rich, subtle flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine. Our executive Chef Luis Sanchez has spent decades perfecting our menu, and we boast a wide selection of wood-grilled fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, chile rellenos or Abuelo's unique House Specialties (depending on your location). To compliment your meal, our expert bartenders are masters at crafting signature favorites, including a wide variety of margaritas and swirls. Whatever the occasion, we'll stop at nothing to make your time at Abuelo's a memorable dining experience.
“Great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I've written reviews about this place before - it's a common food place my family goes to eat when we want Mexican food. I usually don't go anywhere else BUT Abuelos for Mexican in College Station.

I took my 6 year old son with me for dinner, after I picked him up from school in the evening. I surprised him by pulling into the parking lot. He loves the ground beef enchiladas as much as I do. So, he was very happy to eat there.

The place is not typically as packed as it once was. Makes it easier to get seated usually. However, the overall food and/or service has NOT declined. So, I am not sure why attendance appears to be less than it once was, when other places like Cheddar' is always packed.

I do plan to eat there again! Great food!

• Visited December 2013

Texas
“Excellent Mexican Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Looking for a high end restaurant but you want that Mexican flavor? This is the place. Unique dishes, great service and wonderful atmosphere. This is not a run of the mill place but instead one with a uniqueness that sets it far above many restaurants - Mexican or not.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank mkmcnair
“Back again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My family and I go to Abuelos quite a bit. It is our favorite Mexican restaurant in College Station. Today, I went with 7 other guys I know. We ate outside on the patio. Service was great, and the food was fantastic.

Some of my friends had never eaten here, and they enjoyed it. Some of them commented that they wished Abuelos would open up a location in Houston.

Almost everyone ordered something different, and all of us enjoyed our food. My favorite is the ground beef enchiladas. Fantastic!

Once again, I will be back in the future.

• Visited November 2013
College Station, Texas
“Back again - not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have previously written a review of Abuelos. I have been going there for years, and have always loved the place. Never had a bad experience there... Until today.

My family went there to meet my parents... All of us were going to have dinner together. We got there at 5pm. I didn't see my parents, so I stated that there were 5 total in my party (the 3 of us, and then my parents), and that my parents had not yet arrived... I stated we would like to be seated and would wait for them, as they would be there any minute.

That's when I was told I would have to wait in the lobby until my entire party was there to be seated...

This seemed like a new rule. I've met people here before - never had this happen... I looked over the shoulder of the hostess at this point... I kid you not when I say that almost the entire restaurant was EMPTY. I mean - NO one was seated in the middle section. I looked at her and asked if she was kidding. I then sat down, but was very surprised. After a few moments, I asked my wife to see if my parents might already be here. She walked in past the hostess and saw them. So, we all went to their table...

I asked my parents how they got their table. I asked if they had mentioned to the hostess that they were waiting on someone. My mother was very upset. She stated that they had actually gotten there early (ahead of us). They were forced to wait, and they were even put into the side room where private parties are held when they stated that they would rather sit at a table instead of the lobby... All the while - an empty restaurant awaited. My mother apparently complained to the manager at one point, and they were finally seated right before we arrived.

My mother stated that the manager told her that they were expecting big groups that night, and they didn't want anyone seated ahead of time, so they wouldn't run out of space (in case tables had to be moved). That's fine - but the place is literally E-M-P-T-Y at this particular time.

It did get packed by the time we left an hour later, but this whole experience was very rude.

As for the food itself: My son and I enjoyed our meal, as did my parents. but, my wife stated that the fish tacos had no flavor and had a very "fishy" taste. That was her first time trying that menu item.

• Visited August 2013
Austin, Texas
“Consistently superior”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We have partaken of the culinary delights of Abuelo's in Austin, Abilene, and now College Station. This is NOT tex-mex. This company consistently delivers Mexican-inspired cuisine that is delightfully flavorful, reasonably priced, with good service in a pleasant atmosphere. It is always of very high quality, and if anyone experiences anything less than that, management will fix it immediately and make it right. We were delighted to find one in College Station, and you will be too.

Visited August 2013