“Too expensive to tex-mex”
Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #11 of 270 Restaurants in College Station
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Real Mexican food is a feast for the senses. From colorful peppers to the sounds of sizzling fajitas all the way to that incredible flavor. Each mouthful is just as much a result of the freshest ingredients as it is a result of the chef's expertise. Abuelo's offers diners the opportunity to experience real Mexican food, combining authentic, made from scratch classic dishes with the rich, subtle flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine. Our executive Chef Luis Sanchez has spent decades perfecting our menu, and we boast a wide selection of wood-grilled fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, chile rellenos or Abuelo's unique House Specialties (depending on your location). To compliment your meal, our expert bartenders are masters at crafting signature favorites, including a wide variety of margaritas and swirls. Whatever the occasion, we'll stop at nothing to make your time at Abuelo's a memorable dining experience.
Texas
“Too expensive to tex-mex”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Abuelo's is just too expensive for what you get. Standard Tex-Mex most of it. Lots of cheese and beef, with no truly creative items on the menu, none that seem inspired by real mexican food. This place does nothing for me. Won't go againl

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Karbose

Mabank, Texas
“It was OK”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

The best part of it was the $.99 beer they had during happy hour. Wait staff was curteous and attentive but I was disappointed with the food. I got sauteed talapia, shrimp, and scallops. It was very watery and tasteless and the 2 scallops were obviously not fresh and were rubbery.

Visited February 2012
Bryan, Texas
“excellent”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This is a nice palce to eat at in College Station. We had two kinds of tacos and they were both excellent. The service was very good. We were never asking for more to drink or more chips and salsa, the waitress kept bringing us refills.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank msroy616
Houston, Texas
“I could still taste Hempstead Seafood and Steak....but it didn't ruin my experience”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

As everyone knows, if you have just visited the fine dining establishment of Hempstead Seafood and Steak, it is really hard to differentiate any other food. It is kind of like eating flaming hot wings and then trying to figure out the difference between two types of bottled water. I mean Hempstead Seafood and Steak stays with you for days....but anyway on to my review of Abuelo's

So I was on my 2nd date with a beautiful girl from College Station. We were in her town now and I was really up against a wall. I mean you haven't seen us and I'm not posting pictures....but this is date number 2....she is really hot. If I don't impress, I'm probably out. Making things worse...I couldn't find a restaurant in town with endless shrimp/seafood combinations. Then she tells me about a great Mexican food place called Abuelo's.

Now I went to school at Texas A&M and when I was there the only place that had good Mexican food was in this city just south of College Station called Matamoros. Because of recent incidents in Mexico, I felt like Abuelo's was a better choice. I mean, they also had some good enchiladas at Sbisa dining hall awhile back, but am I really going to chance a 2nd date to Sbisa. No chance!

So the date was great. She and I always pick up right where we left off. It's like we hit pause, then play, pause then platy, pause then play. You know what I mean? Probably not. We are awesome.

The restaurant has a great atmosphere. Were were the only people there, but that was kind of special. There were like a group of ChemE professors there in the party room (whoop! big time party) but they didn't bother us. The food was VERY good. I had street tacos and my guapa date had enchiladas. We talked the whole time! We barely ate anything. That is normal though. Don't blame it on Abuelo's...they rock! Seriously! 5 stars!

So what I'm sure you are probably asking at this point is....was there a date #3? Oh yeah....thanks to Abuelo's!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Aggie56003
Somerville, Texas
“Not just a Mexican Restuarant”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Abuelos offers a lighter version of the standard Tex-Mex with fish and chicken dishes. All very good. I love this place.