“Dirty bathroom - expected better”

Hyatt Place College Station
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in College Station
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Dirty bathroom - expected better”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

The room I was given was a mobility access room, even though I had not requested one. The room had a dirty bathroom; plus, it was apparent there had been an issue with water, since an employee removed a drying fan from the room right before I got to the room. I asked to change rooms, because there was a wet towel smell and the floor in the bathroom was wet and dirty: there was a clump of unidentified material and a small piece of dried toilet paper on the floor. I was told I I couldn't change rooms when I called the front desk
(I was told the hotel was full), so when I left that evening for a meeting I asked them to clean the bathroom floor. But the person at the front desk then told me I could change rooms. I was given the key to the room next door to my original room, which turned out to also be a mobility access room. When I opened the door to the second room, I encountered a cigarette smoke smell, even though the room was non-smoking. I then told the front desk staff that I would stay in the first room and to at least please clean the bathroom floor and remove the clump of unidentified material. When I got back to the room later in the evening, there was a strong smell of room freshener and the A/C was on (at least it didn't have a wet towel smell anymore). The bathroom floor was dry but the clump of material was still there. I just kept the room for the remainder of my stay and didn't say anything, since it was made clear to me that I wouldn't get another room and there wasn't any real care in trying to fix the problem the first time. Additionally, being assigned a mobility access room is unacceptable; however, I attribute that to the fact my reservation was made for a State of Texas contract rate ($93/night). I was on state agency business, so I had to ask for that rate. But I expected a regular room since I have a Hyatt Gold Passport card, plus I'd made the reservation at least two months earlier. A disappointing stay - I did expect better from them.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
HPCS, General Manager at Hyatt Place College Station, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
JEBrandt,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I have investigated what happened when you checked in and want to apologize for the appearance of the room when you arrived. We had just replaced the silicon caulking in the tub and had the fan in the room to help dry the new caulking before check in. The front desk made the mistake of checking you into the room before maintenance had a chance to remove the fan and sweep the floor of the repair materials. I promise we have one of the cleanest hotels in College Station and encourage you to give us another try. We have also just replaced all of our guestroom carpets as well to upgrade the property and appearance. We strive to be the best in College Station and have some of the highest guest satisfactions scores in the area. If you are every back in the area give me a call and I will see that you personally have a great experience at the Hyatt Place College Station.

Robert Levy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Had a great experience at the Hyatt. The room was immaculate and spacious. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Pittsburg, Texas
Reviewed January 24, 2012

This was my first trip to this hotel and will be returning here on my trips to College Station. The breakfast was really good alot to choose from. The room was one of the cleanest hotels I have stayed in. The staff was all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chad M
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I've stayed here twice and it's a very good hotel. Very helpful staff too. Newer so everything looks and smells clean. Good continental breakfast and you can also order food which comes quickly. Very nice rooms, spacious with a large TV and a big couch, and a fridge. Next time I'll ask for a room that faces the back, since the road noise was a bit distracting at night.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Houston
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I will definitely return to the Hyatt Place in college station for all my business travels. Great staff, awesome breakfast and free wireless.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and every time I am blown away at the staff, the free breakfast, the bar, and all the amenities this place offers on top of its great rooms. It is right on the main strip in College Station also, so you aren't very far from the campus, the bars, or good restaurants and shopping areas. This is my number one pick every time I find myself in good old College Station, TX.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Sabinal, Texas
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I spent one night here on Nov 4, 2011. We had a group of 4-H children I was responsible for 2 children and had my 21 month old toddler in the room with us which at the time was taking breathing treatments for astma. After I checked out of the room handed them my room card and waited @ 30 minutes inside and outside of the Lobby I was called in by another adult traveling with the children and told there was a problem with my room. I went to the front desk and was told I would have to pay 200.00 because I had smoked in my room, which I had not mind you I have a toddler taking astma treatments. When I asked them how they could prove that she said they had to move people from the next room over to another room because of the smoke comming from the vents. I told them I did not smoke in the room and she informed me that they new when these things happend and when I asked her why she did not knock on my door or could she let me know who it was they had to move she had no answer and told me I needed to pay to have the room chemically cleaned. So I gave her my card madder than a hornet because we had to get the children to competion. I was very upset and so humiliated on top of it all. I did have 2 adults vouch for me and not long after we got to our destination we got an e-mail saying they reimbursed my card beacuse they did not have to do anything to get the room cleaned. I will never stay at this place again .

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Katheryn P
HPCS, General Manager at Hyatt Place College Station, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Dear guest,

I first of all want to apologize for your experience here at the Hyatt Place in College Station. We strive to provide the best lodging experience in College Station and in this instance we failed. I am glad that I did get to speak with you and hope that you take me up on the offer that I provided to you. This will prove that we do provide the best in hospitality that College Station has to offer. I did speak with the staff member and made sure this mistake was corrected and assure you it will not happen again. If you are back in College Station we hope to be able to serve you again.

Robert Levy