The Retreat at Artesian Lakes
$71
$93
$55
Motel 6
Best Western Cleveland Inn & Suites(Cleveland)(Great Value!)
$60
Priceline
$50
La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston New Caney(New Caney)(Great Value!)
$85
$85
Palace Inn(Porter)
$65
$61
All reviewsget awayswim lakehorseback ridingcarriage rideporch swinghilltop restauranthot tubpicnic lunchbassseafood buffetbring your owncooking utensilsgreat place for familiesgrounds are beautifulenjoy naturecaught fishnice pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I were looking to book something different for a last minute Anniversary get away. This retreat is close to home yes a very different environment than metro Houston.

To understand what it is, think of a campground with lots of lakefront cabins and abundant wild life. Now upgrade it with a nice common space in the lodge, and a very nice restaurant featuring herbs and vegies grown on site, and meals seasoned to perfection, with a very friendly and attentive staff.

Things to do on site are low key but interesting. Bike and kayak rentals. Horse shoes. Campground kind of stuff. The pool is very nicely done with fake rock formations hiding a hot tub in the shade. There were great walking trails and we even had a hot tub in our cabin.

If you are looking for a low speed, relaxing retreat, this is it.

Room Tip: Closer to the pool is more convenient to walking to the amenities. Cabins behing the gate are a long walk but secluded from children at the pools or playground.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CTS-V
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I want to make sure that others can avoid the experience we had.

We had a MAJOR issue with roaches, wasps, and spiders inside our cabin. We debated leaving the first night but decided that because we had spent over $1500 and had a group it would not be possible to find other accommodations. There were over 20 roaches killed inside the cabin during our stay, including in the beds. It was disgusting and makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

I asked to speak with a manager both Saturday and Sunday, but he did not ever come by our cabin. Staff brought us bug killing spray after two requests, which we used to spray around the door where wasps were crawling into the paneling. I showed staff member the dead bugs on the windowsill (in the pictures) and was told the manager would contact me. We were credited $200 at the end of our stay for 'extermination.'

I was very frustrated by staff comments, 'they're just wood roaches' (... really? would you say that if one crawled on you?) and 'it was exterminated last week' (clearly not, but if it was then staff should have bothered to wipe up the dead bugs all over the windowsill - see pictures, taken of the windowsill by the door after we came into the cabin). I should have taken pictures of all the roaches too, but hindsight is 20/20.

Front desk staff tried their best with an inattentive manager who was 'away' most of the time. I am a pretty easygoing person, but I believe in customer service. An apology or a call from the manager would have gone a long way in this case. Hopefully this experience will not happen to anyone else.

We had a fantastic time with our friends, thankfully all of us are VERY easygoing and able to laugh about our experiences after the fact. The property is very unique with a lot of gators and turtles to look at in the lake. Canoeing and fishing were a lot of fun. We will not be returning because the bugs were too gross.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank GeoBestie
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We had planned to stay for the entire weekend, but left on Saturday. The cabins are dilapidated, have a musty smell and the bathroom on top of tiny, dirty. The breakfast which was included was average. I thought the carriage ride to the restaurant and the waitress was nice.

If you are looking for a getaway from civilization and want to "rough it out" then this is a great place. Like camping with a bed. But don't expect to be near any food where if you decide against their average restaurant then you are stuck!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Batata32
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is a wonderful place to get out in the country and enjoy the great outdoors. You can hike, fish, swim, play disc golf or just enjoy the beauty of nature. You can rent bikes and canoes and go horseback riding. Many facilities have kitchens or you can enjoy the restaurant on site.

Room Tip: Private homes for rent are great. Lots for families to do.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank spacie49
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have been coming to this property almost every year -with the exception of my college years- since i was a little girl. I was glad to see it updated and being added on to in recent years. I love the country out there and the wildlife. It is camping..not a beach resort...but i enjoy camping off the ground in a cabin and with a great restaurant on site! The staff is courteous and the breakfast plan is good. I only wish they had more consistency with the planned activities such as the hay rides, which get cancelled if not enough people sign up. Its hard to disappoint a child that has been waiting all week for their hayride..namely ME! Anyway, i hope we continue to get to go every summer as long as we can..

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family