“Lover's Package”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cleveland
Sugar Land, Texas
“Lover's Package”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was my first time staying here at Artesian Lakes. Service was excellent and the food was amazing! The cabin was cozy and cute. I stayed in the DAJ cabin, the view was okay because your porch faces a bridge. Next time I would stay at CAP. It was cold so we didn't get to do a lot of the activities but they still offered horse back riding and the hot tub was heated. Beautiful scenery throughout so when you pick up your picnic basket it's hard to choose where to sit and enjoy the delicious food they pack in this cute basket. We bought extra snacks but we did not eat half of what we bought because they feed you very well. Only thing that was a bummer was that they don't have wifi, only at the main hall. I work constantly so I had to keep going to check my work emails. But they did say they are working on that issue. So hopefully when I come back they will have wifi by then!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Regina, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was there on a company event last spring. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this place, one hour and a half driving distance from Houston.
Lots of trees, animals (most importantly, the alligators) in a peaceful setting.
The owners are also kind of trained for team building activities and corporate events.
Food was good. Accommodation in cabins, some of them on a pond with alligators.
Facilities are not 5 stars, but good for the countryside locations that this is.
Great atmosphere, in the evenings bonfires and s'mores!
Part of the property is not an hotel, but is owned by people (vacation homes).
I recommend for a get away from the busy Houston, particularly for company events.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Houston
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Aweome trip with fun people. "so buyers beware". go with fun people, and party all night. then wake up at the crack of dawn for a horse drawn carriage ride to breakfast. volleyball, swimming and lotsa space for kids. awesome. small bathrooms...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas, USA
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed here last weekend with group of families and other couples. After reading the reviews on here I am shocked by some of the responses. We had zero trouble making reservations (some people did theirs online; my girlfriend did our by phone) and we ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS PLACE! I can understand how the place might not be for everyone as it is not like a typical hotel or resort; but that’s what we loved about it!

The drive from Houston was about 1 hr and 20 mins from the Heights and we got there around 6pm. We checked in at their huge log cabin lodge and a nice guy showed us to our cabin since it was getting dark and this place is huge! We came on a Thursday night and the restaurant was closed that night so the lady in reservations had recommended a “romantic dinner” in our room. I was not sure what to expect but when we got inside the cabin there was a huge spread waiting on us complete with champagne! Guys, this is a no-brainer. Do it. The cabin itself had everything we needed for a whole weekend in it with a kitchen area, little dining table, mini couch and a fireplace. The fridge was pretty small but it worked for our needs. Also had a large hot tub and big king sized bed that was really comfortable. Normally the “hot tub” thing is overrated but this one is large enough for two people and the water stayed hot. The cabin had a porch right over the water and we must have sat there for hours in the swing. (Our second night there the porch light burned out but the maintenance guy came and replaced it right away.) Breakfast was delivered the next morning and it had two omelets, fruit, some muffins and the best granola we’ve ever had! On Saturday morning we had a carriage come pick us up and take us to their breakfast buffet which was really good with a lot of food. You will not go hungry there! One thing about the carriage ride is that they only take you to breakfast and you have to walk back. We didn’t mind at all as the place is very beautiful but if you have any issues walking they recommend you drive over and skip the carriage. Our friends have kids and they went crazy over the horses and carriage. They also went horseback riding with the same people that drive the carriages who were really nice and said it was a fun time and well worth the $25 fee.

We brought our bikes but they do have some for rent and there are a ton of roads and trails to follow throughout the whole place. Our crew likes to be outdoors so it was great for all of us. We played their frisbee course twice, hiked three of their trails (the best one has huge trees as a canopy over the trail) we went canoeing and kayaking throughout the lakes which are all connected so you can go for hours and not see the same thing twice. I wish I had my camera handy because the place is literally crawling with wildlife – the way it should be! We saw many deer, a fox, various birds and turtles and of course alligators! A note on the alligators, I know with all the TV shows it can get harrowing but this was not the case at all. They do hang out under the porches looking for a handout but we canoed for hours and never had an issue. When we did spot one, it was booking it away from us so don’t let that scare you away from a great time on the water.
It was too cold for most of us to swim but a few kids in our crew did brave the water. We spent our evenings in the hot tub which easily seated 14 of us. The pool area is stunning with big rock waterfalls, slides and a “beach” area by the lake side. ! We cannot wait to come back in the summertime for some “float time!” We had campfires both nights and enjoyed our time under the stars just hanging out. The kids explored all over the park and we all remarked on how safe it was and how nice of a change that is. Two of the women in our party had massages which they said were great and that the cost was really reasonable. Most of the stuff to do there is free and they don’t try to get you to do every little thing to get more and more money out of you.

The food was way better than we expected at the buffets and our Saturday night dinner there was outstanding. I had one of the best rib-eye steaks I’ve ever had and all our friends remarked on how great theirs was as well. Note: Do make reservations as they fill up for many of their meals. Not the greatest wine selection but like I said the food was incredible. Good service too. Actually, everyone at the resort was really helpful and informative about the place. It’s a family place with family people working there.

If you are nature lovers who like being active outdoors and want an awesome place with acres and acres of land to do it on…this is it! We almost don’t want to share it! If you are looking for an “all inclusive” type joint with poolside colada’s and a big golf course … well this is not something you’ll likely enjoy. This place is a natural getaway not club med! They have real log cabins in the woods surrounded by trees and lakes so sure there were little things like spider webs, sand on the porch, dirt roads, raccoons outside our cabin at night and other things that might “ruin” someone else’s time but as for me and my friends- we LOVED IT. Just being there away from everything was so relaxing and any little things like that were nothing compared to the surroundings. We had an awesome weekend and we’ll be going back!

And no, I don’t work for them LOL I just saw the reviews and totally disagreed so I had to tell about our experience there. I realize that most people only say something when it’s bad not when it’s good and I think everyone should check this place out. Like I said, it’s not for everyone but it is a great find for us!

Room Tip: We stayed at the Dr. Jones Cabin and it was right on the water. They have some larger cabins you ca...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank scotchman27
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Billed on website as romantic getaway resort retreat. We prefer ours without kids screaming in canoes or filthy rooms with unrecognizable funk in the freezer. We also prefer our romance with some food but there's none here...no room service or even a restaurant to have lunch in and no restaurants closer than a 30 minute drive away. Our cabin came complete with a book on the mantel titled "Victims" about children who were viciously murdered. A nice touch. Breakfast reservations needed to be made 48 hours in advance. No one told us that when we made our reservation. So no lunch today and no breakfast tomorrow. And they call this a resort???? I think not.
P.S. We left. Checked in at 2:00 and left at 4:00 the same day.

• Stayed November 2012
6 Thank TrueLightTracey
Crosby, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very unprofessional in answering their phones in a timely manner. Tried to make a reservation for a cabin that was available online but wanted to confirm some information before booking. Called twice this morning, left messages, sent message on Facebook requesting a call back...5 HOURS later they decide to return the call and inform me the room is no longer available. Totally unprofessional...you can't tell me that they had 5 hours of return phone calls to make.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Deanna W
Baytown, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My family (ages 15,17 and 9) and I stayed at the Zoller Point house and it was great!! The house was beautiful with great decorations and the kids and loved having their owns rooms and my husband and I loved our room as well. The Retreat at Artesian lakes had great activities as far as swim lake, waterfall pool, horseback riding...etc,..we did it all and loved it!! They have many more rental houses to choose from and I think next time we will stay in The Big Easy! We will be back..very relaxing atmosphere :-). -The Johnsons

Room Tip: The only thing I would change is all the spider webs that was around the outside of the house...it s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Candace J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleveland
BEST WESTERN Cleveland Inn & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites Livingston
Hampton Inn Livingston
Hampton Inn Livingston
#5 of 6 in Livingston

Been to The Retreat at Artesian Lakes? Share your experiences!