“Smokers welcome”

Cuisines: American
Galveston, Texas
“Smokers welcome”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stay away if you are a non-smoker because everyone smokes here. The food is average for short order cooking and the décor has nothing to recommend it so you ask why have I been back numerous times? I just love to watch the people here. Good old small town citizens having a meal and talking over the local events.

• Visited March 2013

Dallas, Texas
“If You're Just Passing Through, Keep Going”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The first thing that hits you when you walk in the door is the smell of stale cigarette smoke. Their non-smoking room is a small room in the back that you access by walking through the rest of the restaurant. The air in there is no more smoke-free than the rest of the place. Every breakfast combo on their menu had eggs, which I’m unable to eat, so I asked if I could substitute something else for them. Our waitress told us that they did not allow substitutions. We had been asked by friends to meet us there so we could all continue on to Houston together. Since they hadn’t arrived yet, I didn’t really have the option of going somewhere else for breakfast. I explained that I had an egg allergy and that I would like the combo anyway, but please leave the egg off. I was told that the price would be the same with or without the egg. The combo was still cheaper than getting the rest of the items separately, so I agreed to this, but reiterated that I did not want the egg. When our breakfasts arrived, mine arrived with an egg on the plate. It is clear they don’t understand here what a serious thing a food allergy can be. While I moved the rest of the food to another plate before the runny yolk could flow over to it, our waitress told my husband, “She never said she couldn’t have it.” First, I don’t appreciate the flat-out untruth of the statement. He and I both know I said it, more than once. Second, I don’t appreciate being talked about in the third person as though I wasn’t there or didn’t matter. It’s just rude. Once the egg situation was out of the way, I turned my attention to the rest of my breakfast. I have had many wonderful meals in small town diners, but this was not one of them. The food was edible; not good, just edible. Besides the rudeness, the service overall was inattentive. We were left on our own a lot, and went for a long time between waitress sightings when our coffee cups ran dry or we needed anything else. I don’t know if it’s like that for everyone, or because we were the only ones in the smoke-filled “non-smoking” room and it was easy to forget us. I've been trying to think of something positive to say. The place appeared clean enough. This was my experience there. Yours may be different. If you don’t mind a lot of smoke, don’t have any food allergies or intolerances, and you just want some food to put in your stomach that won’t come back up, you should be ok. There were a decent number of people that appeared to be regulars in the main dining area. Maybe it’s better as a local hangout for drinking coffee and smoking than it is for eating. There must be something that brings people back, but I just didn’t see it.

• Visited July 2012