“Truly Excellent Service”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Antonio
“Truly Excellent Service”
Reviewed September 21, 2009

This was our second stay at Hyatt Lost Pines. We stayed here several years ago, just a few months after its grand opening. It was nice back then, but the grounds were still being worked on and there was room for improvement in the service. I'm happy to say that the resort has matured beautifully and the service was truly equal to service I've received at the Four Seasons and other 5 star resorts (something I do not say lightly). Everyone went above and beyond to make sure we were happy, from the front desk clerk at check-in to the shuttle drivers. At check-in my wife was given a complimentary mimosa and we were upgraded without even asking to a junior suite. The room was very clean, and very spacious. The landscaping has come along very nicely since it first opened. They've added a basketball court, volleyball court, tetherball, and horseshoe pits overlooking the Colorado river. The adult pool was peaceful, quiet and relaxing. Room service was always on time and the food was very good. Every person we ran into was always smiling and asking if they could help with anything. We went on the 45 minutes horseback ride. I thought it was a bit over-priced, but we still enjoyed it. Overall, it was a very enjoyable trip. We will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
san antonio,texas
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Dear guys and gals at the HYATT LOST PINES thank you, thank you , thank you, for making my moms 90th birthday one of those accasions that she and her family and friends will cherish , the service was excellent , the dining was excellent, and most of all I got the feeling that everyone there,staff and guests alike were having a great time,well done! and thanks again Kerry C. Green

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Austin TX
Reviewed September 12, 2009

This was the first time we actually stayed at this resort since we only live an hour away in Austin, TX. Since all the kids were back in school the place was pretty much to ourselves except moms with babies and toddlers and business travelers. We had a great time enjoying a break from work. The hotel staff was excellent and the hotel has all the amendities a resort needs. There are two pools, one for kids and the other for adults, which are connected to a lazy river. A large bar and country store is located next to the pool. Walking down to the Colorado River is a must and is undeveloped and quiet. The food was good and had a outdoor kids movie and smores at night.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Homestyle68
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Stayed at Lost Pines with my fiancé for his office retreat and enjoyed our stay very much. From the check in to check out Hyatt service was great! Our room was clean and big, but I would have to agree with others regarding thin walls  we could hear everybody’s conversation in the hallway.
Our trip was paid for (included 2 nights and dinners) by his company so we didn’t care about the expensive water bottles ($4) or long distance call from the room (2 minutes to Houston cost us $12). But if we were paying for everything OMG everything is $$$$.
Pool area was nice and very busy with kids all day long…but it is a family resort so that was expected. Our only disappointment was that all the activities were filled and we couldn’t do anything (activities such as horse back riding, zip line, kayaking etc) but that was our fault we should have reserve in advance.
I ended up getting a $90 French pedicure…which wasn’t that great…but it allowed me to use the whole spa…which was great!
Overall Lost Pines is a nice resort.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed August 12, 2009

First let me say this in response to some of the negative postings on here - this resort is not where you should go for a romantic getaway for you and your spouse. This is a family oriented, kid-focused hotel that has some great things for adults also. The staff at the hotel was great - very friendly and helpful with anything we asked. We were there with our 5,3 and 8 month old for 4 nights. Our older two had a blast at the pool and at the activities throughout the day. Having a beach area with sand was really great for the 3 year old, who was too small to ride the slide. Note that in addition to the activities that they show on their website (pony rides, zip-line, etc), they also have other activities (face-painting, art activities, etc) every couple of hours. There is tons to do here and most of it you can read on their website, but the smores and evening movie were also really great. The food is pretty average and expensive as you would imagine at any hotel/resort. Overall, our trip was great and was just what we were looking for in having a long weekend with plenty to do that wasn't too far from home.
Here are a few tips:
Bring your ice-chest with your drinks - you can bring them to the pool and each room has a mini-fridge that is empty (save the 2 bottles of water that they try and sell for $4 each)
If you can, get a room on the ground floor on the pool side of the resort
Get the bottomless kids cup for $10 each - they can be used/refilled everywhere including the restaurants
Don't valet park - go to the front and let them unload your stuff and take it up to your room but then go and self-park. The self-park is right next to the valet parking and doesn't cost you the $15 per day fee.

That's all I've got for now - I am certain we will be returning to Lost Pines in the future.

1 Thank COWTOWNTX
DFW
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We booked this trip to get in a quick 4 day vacation before the kids had to go back to school Typically we would jet down to Mexico to Playa, but decided to keep it close to home this Summer. I read several good reviews on trip advisors, so we decided to stray away from the norm. We have stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country and enjoyed thoroughly, but never at Lost Pines. Basically, this resort is unlike any other Hyatt that we have been in that it is very, very laid back and much more family oriented. It is like camping with all the luxuries and amentities of a five star hotel. Seriously.....critters run around at night and create their own little show, you can bring your dog that will stay in your room for a nominal $35 lump sum cost, fishing, hiking, zip lines/rock climbing walls($55/ea), golf, frisbee golf, outdoor kids movie every night with popcorn and smoores(marsh mellows, hersheys and graham crackers for you city slickers), star gazing, tennis, basketball, bike riding, play grounds, horseback riding($75-$100), and much more that I am sure I have left out. The water park, which is located right in the heart of it all is awesome!! It has a lazy river, multiple hot tubs, slides, cascading rock water falls, and much more that is nestled right in the middle of everything. Rooms were great....suggest upgrading to a pool view or for sure one with a patio(1st floor is best because you can use the patio door instead of having to go through the facility to get outside....obviously good for kids), The facility is well manicured with huge trees and a five star golf course that is 50 yards from the hotel. They also have a unbelievable spa, that I would encourage you to take advantage of while you are there.....not the cheapest, but well worth the cost!!!!

Here was our only disappointment....the food was no better than average in all of the restaurants that we ate at during our stay, especially for what you pay!! That said, the standard pool food(burgers, hot dogs, chicken strips, fries, etc...) is pretty good and cost around $8-10 per person. The $25-30 per person buffet in the nice restaurants is a complete waste of money and you will not be happy with the food.

Here is what we learned during our stay that we will plan for the next go around. Believe it or not they allow you to bring in your own cooler(no glass) to the water park...so it is BYOB at a Hyatt !!! You could tell the rookies from the the veterans..... I suggest making a quick stop at WalMart and the local liquor store before you arrive and you will be set.

Great place to take the family......trust me, I have been to most of the typical Texas tourist traps(Sea World, Six Flags, Huricane Harbor, Schliterbauhn, etc...) and Lost Pines tops them all for the best bang for your buck all wrapped up in one location.

San Diego, California
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Traveling from California, it was my first visit to this Hyatt and to the Austin area, and right up to the time we checked in I had thoughts of canceling my resevations because of reviews here that complain about the remoteness of the location. I'm really glad I didn't cancel though, because my concerns were unfounded. Yes, you're about 20 minutes from downtown Austin, but its a fast, easy drive if you want to make the trip. From the minute we checked in the service was great, and the staff were very attentive and helpful. We needed an extra rollaway bed and within ten minutes one arrived at our door. My 8 year old daughter got a facial in the Wild Hare Youth Spa and loved it. The pool area was busy but not overcrowded; festive is more like it, with adults and kids enjoying the pool, pool slide, and tube floating in the lazy river. Just the right combination of relaxation and excitement. We ate all of our meals in the Firewheel Cafe, which has a good variety of casual cuisine (salads, pasta, pizza, entrees) and a huge 'all you can eat' dessert bar for dinner. I have some dietary restrictions (gluten-free) and both the waitress and the chef talked to me about my meal to make sure everything would be in order. The chef even brought out a custom dessert that was fantastic. My youngest also signed up for the wall climb and zip line, and had a blast. It was excellent value for all the fun she had. We did make the drive to Austin one night to see the legendary bats fly out, and getting there and back was very easy. Negatives? Its a large, sprawling resort, so it can be a bit of a walk from place to place. But if you have kids and want a FUN resort that offers everything on-site, I have no hesitations in recommending Lost Pines. I will definitely return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cedar Creek
Hyatt Regency Austin
#16 of 203 in Austin
South Austin
Omni Austin at South Park

Been to Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!