“Getaway Resort in Texas” 5 of 5 stars

Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cedar Creek
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Getaway Resort in Texas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

For those looking for a good destination for a business retreat or a family vacation, the Hyatt Lost Pines is a good choice. I was there for a business retreat and the service was first class. Being there in February would not have been a time for a family because it was too chilly to swim, but a business retreat worked well as we were able to play golf and use the spa and fitness center.

Room Tip: If you want to swim, getting a room nearer the pool works best as the property is sprawling and can...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TeamTex
Jill W, PR/Marketing at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
On behalf of the entire team at Hyatt Lost Pines, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed the resort during your business trip, and that you were delighted with the service you received. We invite you to come back with your family to enjoy the Crooked River Water Park to the fullest, and perhaps take in another game of golf and relaxing spa treatment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very nice location by the river, far away from road. Very peaceful. Perfect romantic gateway.
Reception area is decorated in a nice country style and staff was very nice and helpful.

But room was just average, and not what you would expect from such a nice Hyatt. It needs to be renovated / modernized, in particular the very plain bathroom with yellow wallpaper.

Be aware that you will pay a resort for even in middle of winter, when it is too cold to use the (nice) pool. Most of the activities are extra and not included in the resort fee. For instance, it is an additional $15 to use the steam bath in the women's locker at the Spa.

And watch out for your credit card charges after checkout. I found an additional and unexplained $8. I called to discover that these $8 correspond to 2 bottles of water that we had left in the room after having paid for them at the vending machines on the floor. I was recredited immediatly, but regardless, it should not have happened.

Room Tip: Ask for a RENOVATED room. Be aware that some of the rooms can be quite a walk away from reception...
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are so happy that your travels brought you to Hyatt Lost Pines. Thank you for sharing your candid thoughts on the decor of the room and the resort fee. We are thrilled to tell you that we are completing our soft-goods renovation this week, which has enhanced the appearance of all of our guestrooms, lobby and many food and beverage outlets. We are hopeful that your travels will bring you to Hyatt Lost Pines again, and that you will be delighted with the changes.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very nice and very friendly. We only had bar food Saturday night but it was expertly prepared, vey tasty, and served by a very friendly bartender "Zach". We walked the beautiful grounds, stoping to warm ourselves at the various open pit fires. Then back to "Shellers" (the Bar) for a nightcap. The room was very large and nice and we slept very comfortably. All in all, it was a very pleasant Saturday night.

Room Tip: Get the corner River Suite its HUGE
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jill W, PR/Marketing at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your Saturday stay with us. We will be certain to share your review with our entire team. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your dining and nightcap experience in Shellers, warming up beside the fire pits, and resting in your spacious room. We sincerely hope you'll make plans to come back for another stay soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I love this hotel! It's very beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. Mu husband and I have been here twice and we just love it! Come here to feel pampered and relax. The spa is fabulous!! I would spend hours there, relaxing in the steam room, taking a dip in the outdoor whirlpool.... It's fantastic. My husband would play golf while I went to the spa and he said its a beautiful course. The hotel has a great pool, in fact, it's like a mini waterpark with its slides and lazy river. At night, they have outdoor fire pits to sit next to with your glass of wine! It's the best hotel to just get away with your significant other or the whole family!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for sharing your recent review with us! We are delighted that you and your husband enjoyed your getaway with us -- including the time spent at Spa Django and Wolfdancer, respectively. We agree---sitting fireside with a glass of wine in hand is a great way to spend the evening. Thank you for letting us know that we made you feel relaxed and pampered, and we hope you'll make plans to come back for another round soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My sister and I were given a trip to Lost Pines for Christmas! I had always passed it on my way to Austin but never looked into it. After hearing that we would be going here, I researched everything I could about it, including the reviews. It sounded wonderful and I could not wait to go and write my own review!

This was the ABSOLUTE MOST WONDERFUL trip I have taken in a very long time! We stayed there from this last Friday till Sunday (yesterday). I will list the pros (only some as there were hundreds) and the very few cons which were so insignificant in the grand scheme of things...

PROS:
-we got there early and room was ready 2 hours before check in!
-staff was very attentive and helpful the entire time
-there were about 10 activities to do around the property listed every day...Meeting the longhorn mascots, tie dye shirt making, horshoe competition, sac races, s'mores around the fire, stargazing and many, many more!
-My sister did the Hyatt trail ride and said that she had a great horse. She loved it!
-I did the trap shooting and enjoyed it very much. It was a small group so we got a lot of 1 on 1 time and Manuel (our instructor) was very helpful! It was my first time and I hit about half! Go me :-) I ended up with a bruised shoulder but I did'nt even care...I had a blast!
-We did made s'mores both nights and loved the experience. We have not sat around a fore roasting marshmallows since we were children. The staff there was very friendly and we all sat around chit chatting. Yummy!
-We did the stargazing tour our 2nd night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our guides were very knowledgeable and we were blessed with a very clear night sky. They took their time in explaining all the constellations and pointed them out with a laser. We then took turns looking at the moon, Jupiter and some others through 2 telescopes. Beautiful!
-The resort is a great place to take children! Though I did not bring my daughter with me, I saw families on the 2nd and 3rd day and they were having so much fun! There is bike riding, playground, pool, lazy river, choo choo train and so many other activities for the kiddos! And not to worry, the children were well behaved and while doing activities that are typically for adults, we could never hear them :-)
-The resort's dogs, 2 New Foundlands, were absolutely beautiful!
-The room's balcony provided a beautiful view and I'm sure it would be even more incredible in the spring! The balcony was spacious with a table and 2 chairs. It had a paned sliding glass door. I loved sitting out there :-) We could also sometimes see the alpacas, longhorns and donkeys from our room!
-The room was in great shape. The bathroom had a stand up shower and a seperate tub. Very nice and quiet in there!
The food...Oh, the food! We dined at Shellars once, Stories once and at the Firewheel for breakfast and lunch every day. The "omelette man", Lloyd, at Firewheel was a hoot! He was very friendly and the omelette was great. He even went to the kitchen to get a special request for me! The food was a hit every time! I strongly suggest the green chile queso from Shellars, the BLGT from Firewheel and the mussels and filet mignon from Stories. After finishing our meal at Stories, we though about dessert but instead decided on sharing the mac and goat cheese! Glad we did...so yummy!
-We had 2 services each at the spa Django over the weekend. The spa was very clean and lovely. The staff was friendly and the services were good. We were given little treats and water before and after our treatments. It is great that they allow you full use of their spa on the days that you have a treatment. They have an outdoor pool, outdoor jacuzzi, indoor/outdoor jacuzzi (partially covered and really neat), sauna, steam room, showers and many of the toiletries you may have forgotten. I enjoyed the outdoor spa.
-We went to the resort's pool and hot tub. The pool and lazy river were neat but way too cold for us to get in. The children loved it, though. Crazy kids! :-) We stayed in the hot tub and thoroughly enjoyed it! Jordan brought us virgin pina coladas (we are not big drinkers) and it was so good! He was great!
-We checked out at 11 on Sunday but actually stayed on the property until 4 while they held our luggage! That was great!
There are many, many more great things to say about this place!

CONS:
-We did not sleep well the first night. The fridge kept "kicking on" every 10 minutes and there was also a ticking noise. We had the fridge replaced and that took care of the whirring noise but there was still the ticking sound! I eventually figured out that it was coming from the lamp. The vibrations of the fridge was causing the lamp on top of the dresser to wobble on it's 4 legs. I put it on the floor and that was the end of that. I mentioned it to the front desk and I hope they replace the lamp!
-The balcony door has a set of instructions for opening it listed on the door. The instructions must have gone to prior locks because they don't even make sense for the lock. There is a lock on the bottom of the door that is not even mentoned. After figuring this out, it was fine. While out on the balcony, I saw other guests having the same problem with their doors.
-The shower stall leaked water onto the floor...no real big deal. I just put a few towels down. The water temperature is reversed and it went freezing cold mid shower. These things happen but it was still an inconvenience.
-Trash cans in room have no trash bags. I thought that was strange and kind of gross.
-Long walk to our room from lobby. By long, i mean about 2-3 minutes from the elevator on our floor to our room. It's a big hotel so It did not bother us. It might be hard for people who have trouble walking.
-The donkeys. I love animals and I understand that we ned to respect how nature works but the donkeys were something else. There were 2 of males, one brown, one spotted. The spotted one was so aggressive to the the other. He would constantly pick on the brown one, biting him and trying to take his stick away. Not too bad, right? Well, the spotted one also constantly aggressively mated with the brown one. Again, this is nature and so on but I was even uncomfortable watching this always happen. I know this would be difficult for a child standing only a few feet away. The man who cares for them said that he was working on giving them jobs to do around the property. He feels that if the spotted one is given a job, he will use up his energy doing that and will stop picking on the brown one. I hope it works!

That's it! Those are the only cons...insignificant in the end.

We were so happy here. Loved, loved, LOVED it!

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies facing the back of the resort (McKinney Roughs, I think) provide the best view...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
On behalf of the entire team at Hyatt Lost Pines, I'd like to thank you for sharing such a complimentary and comprehensive review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you were able to stay with us---what a wonderful gift! We are happy to know that you enjoyed the activities, amenities, spa, food and service that you encountered during your time here. We are equally as appreciative that you shared your list of "cons" with us. We take your feedback very seriously and we will evaluate your thoughts and take the opportunity to improve on these areas that you mentioned. We hope you'll make plans to return and enjoy another luxurious Texas wilderness escape.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We came down for a long weekend during the NBA All-Star Break - a quick getaway. What a great decision. The 7-year-old property is in pristine condition, the food is excellent and the staff are unparalleled in their positive attitude and service. We checked in late on a Thursday, and they didn't have the room we reserved, so they upgraded us for free to a patio room facing the pool and golf course. At every turn, the staff have been greatBrian at Firewheel and Sarah at Shellers are standouts. We had thought we would come down and go into Austin for sightseeing and meals, but this was so wonderful, we haven't left. My husband played golf and said the course was in great condition - tough greens. We will be back for sure. Make sure you make the trip off-property to Bastrop where the service is equally good - wonderfully friendly people, great service.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for sharing your kind words with us. We are so happy to know that you enjoyed your spontaneous getaway, and are so appreciative that you chose to breakaway from such an exciting sporting event to stay with us. It is wonderful to know that we delighted your family with the accommodations and service. Thank you for complimenting Brian and Sarah directly. We will make sure to share your kind words with them. Wolfdancer is in great condition, and we are so glad that your husband was able to enjoy a day on the greens. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for another unforgettable stay.
Allen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed for four nights and thoroughly enjoyed the property. Even though it was a bit rainy and the pool was closed for maintenance, we stayed very busy and even ran out of time to do everything we wanted. The property was beautiful; loved playing checkers in front of the big fireplaces in the lobby. Every staff member was pleasant, outgoing, engaged with us. The food was fabulous in every restaurant on-site, including room service. They list three or four different activities you can do each day (most are kid/family-related, but we did them anyway). That was a lot of fun for us. The spa was one of the nicest I've been to. Room/bed was extremely comfortable. The property is big, and our room was really far from the lobby, but that was okay for us. We really liked hiking the trails in the State reserve that is contiguous to the resort property.

Room Tip: A few of the upper rooms don't have a covered porch - if that's important to you. One rainy...
1 Thank caroleiaap
Thank you so much for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you found plenty to keep you entertained and at ease despite the rainy weather. Thank you for the kind comments regarding the food and service in our dining outlets - we will make certain to share that with our food and beverage team. Also, thank you for your kind feedback about Spa Django. We are thrilled that our spa was ranked by Conde Nast among the world's best this year! We would love to have you back for another relaxing getaway, and hope to welcome you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cedar Creek
#14 of 198 in Austin
4.5 of 5 stars 935 reviews
South Austin
Holiday Inn Austin Airport

Been to Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!