“A Disappointment...”

BlissWood Bed and Breakfast Ranch
Ranked #1 of 1 Cat Spring B&B and Inns
“A Disappointment...”
Reviewed August 3, 2008

My husband and I spent two nights in The Dog Trot House/Magnolia Suite. Unfortunately, this stay was a big disappointment to us. The suite was pretty nice and we really enjoyed the jacuzzi tub. There were just a lot of other things that disappointed us. This is an unhosted property and it is located in the country. Those facts were fine with us. We have stayed at other places like this and everything has been fine. We had some questions and/or concerns after arriving. There was a folder with a long list of contact numbers. We couldn't get in touch with anybody or get anybody to call us back. After almost 24 hours of being there, I finally managed to reach the owner. She told me that all of the staff other than herself were on vacation. Thank goodness we didn't have a major emergency. My husband wasn't very impressed with the cleanliness of the suite. The milk that was left in the fridge for our breakfast was outdated and spoiled. It was just a combination of things that didn't impress us. Even if a property is unhosted and located in the country, it still needs to be organized and run well. It just seems like we were left high and dry on this stay. We don't plan to return to this property unfortunately.

• Liked — The jacuzzi tub!!
  • Disliked — Not organized and run well.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PrincessLea3
TexCowgirl, Owner at BlissWood Bed and Breakfast Ranch, responded to this review, October 23, 2008
I'm so sorry for this guest's experience. We are unhosted as listed on my website, and we are not always available. I immediately wrote a letter of apology to this guest and sent her a gift certificate for Carol's at Cat Spring Restaurant. We try very hard to please each guest and we have so very, very many happy guests at BlissWood who have wonderful experiences here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Arkansas
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We were there for our son's wedding. We stayed in the Sullivan house and spent a day and a half without water. Carol refused a refund but said she would pay for one room at the local Best Western (there were 8 of us in the house) All they brought was a twelve pack of beer and cold pasta to make up for it. Kathy, the manager came over and chatted with us and had nothing but negative things to say about both Carol and the ranch. We had to pee in the bushes for a day and a half, weren't able to take showers. Think twice before going. The animals are in teriible shape too. One horse in particular was in really bad shape.

• Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank beware_blisswood
At the time of this quest's stay, I had managers who I paid and who I trusted to take care of the bed and breakfast and any issues or problems that arose, and I was not aware of these problems until I read this review. I was shocked at what was offered these guests, I would never offer a 12-pack of beer as compensation, nor a night at the Best Western. Kathy and Mike, the managers, I had at the time, are no longer employed here, and this sounds consistent with the way they poorly managed my property and it is because of this that they are no longer here; and managers who are professional would have more finesse than to say bad things about their employer or the ranch to guests staying here. I'm so sorry for this guest's expereince, and I sent a letter of apology and a gift card to them for their inconvenience that was not taken care of properly by my managers.
houston
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I had a wonderful time at Blisswood! My husband and I were lost in the woods for an hour, but upon our arrival, we were captivated by the wonderful food, and the hospitality of the Carols staff. We didn't get to horseback ride, or duck trap shoot due to the weather, but we still had a wonderful time. Blisswood is a great place to visit.

Stayed February 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed August 24, 2006

Blisswood is set up as a group of cabins and cottages with each one almost completely isolated from the rest. You are totally in the country; so, it's the perfect place to escape when all you want to do is - nothing! Nothing, that is, except enjoy the peaceful scenery and the exotic animals. If you're adventurous, you can also explore the hundreds of acres of land surrounding you. But we preferred to sit on our porch and watch the world go by.
There are lots of places in Texas to just get away and relax. This one ought to be high on your list.

• Liked — Isolation
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2006

My grandchildren and I spent a weekend at Blisswood, close to Houston but a world away. It was a most relaxing weekend, with the children getting up close and personal to animals and have a chance to be in nature, a truly memorable experience. The Dog Trot house was the perfect choice for us, with the swimming pool being an added attraction for the grandchildren. Everyone we encountered at the ranch was nice and friendly to us and made sure that we were comfortable. The owner also runs Carol's restaurant, and the food there was excellent, the service was great, and we felt that we had gourmet food in the country that equals Houston restaurants. They even had a children's menu, which was perfect for us. We will definitely be back to experience this great place again.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed April 16, 2006

We arrived at the exact time we said we would, expecting a 1 pm horseback ride, only to be told we could not be accommodated until 4pm, all the while having massages scheduled at 5pm, so this would not work. We actually sat outside our "secluded log cabin", surrounded by vehicles, barn, people, other homes, generally very noisy, etc., the owners home about 30 yards away, who never even came out to greet us. Only greeting came from the handy man at the ranch, who came back at 3 pm to tell us he could take us on a ride in 15 minutes... came back at almost 4 pm, said he was "having trouble rounding up the horses." Eventually got to ride the horses around 4:15 pm, paid for 1.5 hours of horseback riding.... received about 30 minutes of riding. Floors and place were dirty, poor lighting... animals not in greatest of condition either. In the morning, awoke to no water whatsoever in the Log Cabin... we called, no answer, ever... never did meet the owner who we were told "was on her way out to talk with us." We gave up and packed it up and left early. Will never go back to this place, will never recommend it to anyone.

6 Thank DeniseBurk
I was just made aware of this review, and I had managers taking care of the property at this time, and they were responsible for making sure guests were taken care of here.
It is unfortunate that they did not do so, and my deepest apologies to the guests. These managers are no longer employed here.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cat Spring
Hampton Inn & Suites Brenham
La Quinta Inn & Suites Columbus
Far View - A Bed and Breakfast Estate
Hempstead Country Inn & Suites

Been to BlissWood Bed and Breakfast Ranch? Share your experiences!