“Wonderful Wedding Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Cat Spring B&B and Inns
Fort Worth, Texas
“Wonderful Wedding Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

Rodney and I had known for a long time that we wanted to elope (we’d been dating for 8 years and engaged for a year), and we knew we wanted it to be memorable and special yet simple, so we were absolutely thrilled that we discovered Blisswood B&B. The elopement package provided us with everything we needed, and the biggest decision regarding the wedding that I had to make was what color roses I wanted for the bouquet! What a relief to a gal who likes to keep things simple! I’d even found two peacock feathers on the ground outside that I ended up using as my hairpiece for our intimate ceremony, which took place at the gazebo near the lake.
Afterward, we had a romantic dinner at Carol’s, where we listened to live music by a local singer/songwriter. Skeeter, a very talented photographer, graciously offered to take a few pictures of us cutting our wedding cake. He had the photos on a disk for us the following morning; his selflessness was touching. This act of kindness was merely one facet of the entire spectrum of hospitality that we experienced at Blisswood. Everything was perfect.
When we found out that the Enchanted Cabin was already booked at the time of making our reservations, we opted for the Log Cabin and we loved it! It has a rustic feel and was very clean. We had a good time inspecting the antiques around the place, and it was fun to imagine what life must have been like in the 1800s. The convenience of already having our breakfasts in the fridge, ready when we were, was a treat, as well.
Our first night there, we spent the evening playing Farkle on the front porch and soaking in the moon and stars and fresh country air, with two guard-cats keeping us company. :) This was a perfect culmination to the night, after having had masseurs come treat us to a much-needed and very relaxing couples massage.
Because of our stay at Blisswood Bed & Breakfast, we had the opportunity to experience true ranch life, which was such a nice change from the hustle and bustle of the city life that we experience daily. Armando was so friendly and so fun to talk to. He had offered to take me along with him while feeding the animals one morning, to which I eagerly accepted. After returning with stories, pictures, and videos of exotic animals, my husband was disappointed that he’d opted to sleep-in. The early bird really does get the worm, I guess!
After touring the ranch, we’d come to the conclusion that this would be the place where we would spend our anniversaries. I’d even mentioned that to Carol, the lovely and congenial entrepreneur, who informed me that there are 16 unique cabins/homes on the property, with more to come! I think we’ll be set for a while!
We were truly blessed to have such a wonderful wedding weekend at a location so serene and inviting. We can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband and I spent Valentines weekend at Blisswood this year and absolutely fell in love with it. We had such a memorable time, I booked another weekend to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday (August 5-7, 2011). We stayed in the Magnolia Suite of the Dog Trot house and LOVED IT! Even though it was hot outside, we thoroughly enjoyed the front porch swing as well as the pool. I booked a horseback ride Saturday morning which was absolutely delightful and we once again booked lunch at the Enchanted Lake gazebo. I got so many great photos! The breeze we got while we ate lunch made it even better. My husband thanked me several times for giving him such a relaxing birthday weekend. Carol booked us reservations for Saturday night at the restaurant and the steak was delicious! I am looking forward to the photography workshop that Skeeter is hosting in November and can't wait to head back to Blisswood!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

The weekend was awesome! My niece is dealing with the recent death of a male friend and needed the quiet time to reflect and relax. The stay more than accomplished its goal. Over 50 times I heard "thank you . Thank you, Unc. Thank you ....thank you..." So to you and all of your staff, I say thank you all and I shall be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

My 13 year old daughter and I needed a place for a get -away. Somewhere where we could share an adventure and also quiet time. Blisswood was the perfect place for us. We drove to the beautiful country side where a quaint cabin awaited us (with no t.v.! - yeah!) We rode horseback through gorgeous trails, rode bikes, took walks and naps, and had great one on one time to strengthen family bonds. I would really recommend the ranch for any type of high quality time - ie - couples, families, girlfriends...
We loved the beautiful, serene vistas of the farmland and the helpful staff that arranged a variety of activities for us - I would recommend trail riding, biking, walking, and swimming. I could see coming here with the rest of the girls in the family or perhaps my husband and I for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JenniferHeylmun
Pearland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

This B&B is unique and charming! It is the best kept secret about 1 hour west of Houston, TX. An easy 1-hour drive from the big city, this property provides peace, quiet, and relaxation. Several cabins scattered across a working ranch offer relaxation and fun. We enjoyed horsebackriding, a picnic at the gazebo, and driving around on a golf cart to view the animals (including a peacock and kangaroo!). Words cannot express the kindness, caring, and hospitality of the staff. No one bothers you... but if you need anything, they are prompt and courteous. It was a fantastic get-away and I am looking forward to doing it again soon!

Room Tip: The nchanted cabin has the most privacy
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

Pre-arrival email communication with Innkeeper Carol Davis was efficient, quick, and detailed. We had all of the information we needed, and we really did need it. Due to an unforeseen mishap, we arrived late and had to check out early the next day. However, Carol and Skeeter personally assisted us with everything we needed in order to get back up on our feet. We felt like we were being helped by friends. Don't arrive expecting a resort or full service hotel. You will be disappointed. Let the word "BlissWood" ruminate. If you arrive without any preconceived notions, you will appreciate the natural beauty and wonder of the property. I found myself marveling at an oversized grasshoper the size of a ping pong ball. S/he had a black metal jacket with neon yellow and orange stripes and dots. Truly amazing. I had never seen such a thing. The squirrels were as fat as their little legs would let them be, and the mosquitos were the size of bats. Well, big mosquitos aren't a plus, but that should tell you to come prepared. I don't think anyone can control nature, much less mosquitos...Although the accomodations are intended to be rustic in design, there are little comforts here and there. The sheets are like velvet, the mattress is like floating in whip cream, the furniture is sturdy and comfortable, and you have everything you need to store and cook food, which means you should indeed bring some food/drink items with you so that you buy yourself some time to go into town grocery shopping. We were in a hurry and failed to do so, but we didn't suffer too much because we had the continental breakfast, German chocolate cake we ordered in advance, and a bottle of wine. Wine and cake are actually a pretty good breakfast. The grounds are such a wonder to behold. If you are a gardener, former country girl, or a tree hugger, your soul will be fed with what your eyes take in. We can't wait to attempt to disconnect from our busy life and reconnect with each other and nature by going to BlissWood in the near future. Oh, buy the sheets and the robes. You won't regret it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Pearland, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed at the Blisswood ranch with my wife and two kids (2 years old and 9 months). The location of the ranch is fabulous and the property is beautiful.

We stayed at the Bluebonnet. It is a cool opportunity to stay in a antique ranch house like this. We really enjoyed it. I do feel it will soon need some refurbishing as far as the bathroom floor and such, but still overall a very neat house. There are some insects and such, but this is expected in the country.

My family loved all the animals. We took our kids on the feeding tours and they had a blast.

In summary, if you want the opportunity to expereince a true Texas ranch and farm, this is a fabulous place. We plan on going back yearly.

Room Tip: Look at website
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Sealy
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#2 of 5 in Columbus

Been to BlissWood Bed and Breakfast Ranch? Share your experiences!