“Nicest Staff in Castroville”
Review of Sammy's Restaurant

Sammy's Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 38 Restaurants in Castroville
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We didn't eat here; only grabbed a nightcap before bedtime, since there wasn't much going on in Castroville on a Saturday night. The owner's grandson opened the bar for us and served us cocktails, even though there was no one else there to partake. He couldn't have been nicer, and even stayed and chatted us up while we enjoyed the drinks he made for us. Just a wonderful little slice of Castroville. Thanks for the wonderful service!

1  Thank LaurWander

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Sammy's restaurant is heavily advertised in the Castroville area. From the outside it looks like a 1950's vintage restaurant. Once inside, it is quite dated, dark from poor lighting, and looked like it was very tired.
The wife and I were not real hungry and decided to just have a sandwich. My club was good - although rather bland. The wife ordered a bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich with chips. She bit into the sandwich and mustard flowed out of the sandwich - Really? A BLT made with mustard? I have been to quite a few places and NEVER heard of a BLT made with mustard.
My wife asked the waitress if the menu stated it was made with mustard and the waitress rather angrily said - yes it did. The testy response is what I would have expected from the way our order was taken - finally.
At that point I said that we just failed to read I guess and requested a BLT made with mayo - which she arranged at no additional cost.
Not quite sure how that happened. But we will not return to Sammy's until they install some lights so we can scrutinize EVERY word on the menu. I doubt that will be happening any time soon.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Sammys has been changing but not aways for the better so don't hope for to much and you will be happy with what you get. I do eat there several times a month but service depends on what staff is on and the time of day.

Food is better than Lubys but is of the same sort.

Prebooking on the weekends is the way to go.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

The food is okay, but way overpriced, and they nickel-and-dime you. Want cheese on your Mexican dish, oh, that costs extra. Waiting is SLOW, and they give you these tiny glasses (6-8 ounces?) which are quickly downed, and they you're waiting for a refill, and waiting.

The place is in a prime spot in the middle of Castroville at its main intersection. It advertises as the "family place to eat", but don't be fooled. I'd rather go to a chain restaurant than here.

4  Thank Gideon_Krasmanic
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stopped at Sammy's on our way home from Sabinal. I had the chalupas and my husband had chicken fried steak. The food was good and it's a nice clean and friendly spot. It feels like a mom and pop type establishment.

1  Thank M F