“Stop for supper”

Sammy's Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 36 Restaurants in Castroville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Galveston Island, Texas
“Stop for supper”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stopped at Sammy's on our way home from Sabinal. I had the chalupas and my husband had chicken fried steak. The food was good and it's a nice clean and friendly spot. It feels like a mom and pop type establishment.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank M F

Giddings, Texas
“Not too bad and not too great”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The salad bar is not much, and you have to wait for them to give you a small plate. There is a 20 minute wait for chicken as they make it fresh. It was good. There lemon pie wasn't great as the crust was tough and the filling almost hard. The service was great. We went back for breakfast and it was good. I gave my eggs to my husband as my "over medium well" came out as "over easy" which my husband loves. I should have complained, but didn't. The decor of the restaurant is in bad shape and needs renovation.

Visited March 2012
“Mamas, don't let your babies work at Sammy's”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Awful about sums up this excuse for a restaurant. As they note on their crusty menus, the only thing they have going for them is that they have one of the few full service bars in the area. However, they forgot the service part. We ordered mixed drinks and it took 20 minutes in a half empty joint to get them. The food took even longer. When I asked to order the fried chicken, the person who took our order said distainfully, "You gonna wait 20 minutes for that?" So I ordered enchiladas, which weren't even edible. How can a South Texas restaurant screw up enchiladas?

Now to the title of the review...if there was someone over the age of 23 working in the restaurant, I'd be shocked. The people inhabiting the place (they certainly weren't waiting on people - it was the customer waiting on them!) took forever and then left us to search for our bill because no one ever brought the check to us. As we walked up to the cashier to get the check (full service?), one of the children ran toward the kitchen, yelling, "You want me to WORK?" Guess not.

Avoid at all costs. Find a Dairy Queen.

• Visited August 2011
Texas
“A flashback in time.”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I've been stopping at Sammy's on trips to and from the hill country since I was knee high to an armadillo. Nothing ever changes. Nothing. We breakfasted there this morning and as I sat in the formica booth under the preserved head of a 60 pound catfish, I wondered how long it had been since they had updated any of the decor. 60's? 70's? If you stick to the basics it's pretty good. Today we ordered eggs, biscuits, hash browns and a couple of breakfast tacos. The biscuits were some of the best we've come across outside our own kitchen. The tacos were supposed to be one egg each but I know there was more there. The wait staff probably doesn't change much either. It's good to get people who are efficient servers and obviously like what they are doing.

• Visited July 2011
TX
“Awful”
Reviewed January 29, 2010

The waitress couldn't be bothered. The food was late and the order incomplete. In a party of 5 had dishes that were over cooked or under cooked. Food sent back never was replaced until long after everyone was finished.
The salad bar was pitiful and overpriced, cost more then the Hyatt Regency on the Riverwalk.
There is also a pervasive *moldy* smell.
Keep driving.