“What a great find!”

Cora's 471 Grill
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Castroville
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We went here on a Friday night based on the recommendation of our hotel. It was such a down home, country place with extremely friendly people and great food. The menu is small, but has a little something for everyone. We had the super nachos (with beef, cheese, jalepanos, tomatoes and onions). My husband had the 471 burger, that warned of being spicy because the meat was mixed with jalepanos but didn't deliver that big of a kick. I stuck to the salad bar, which was fresh and had lots of choices for toppings.

Definitely a great local place for families and friends to gather and hang out!

There are newer reviews for Cora's 471 Grill

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Cora's 471 Grill switched owners a couple of years ago, and at first, you couldn't tell a difference. Now, however, the switch has caught up. My father-in-law has been coming here for a decade and after leaving this time he said that both the nachos and enchiladas have gone down in quality/taste. The nachos had skimpy toppings, but are still fantastic in my opinion. If you are planning on stopping in at Cora's I would get the nachos and test their saying, "Best Nachos in Texas". Enjoy!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We drove to Castroville from Spring Branch to try something different and we weren't disappointed. We went early on Friday (they open at 5:00 p.m.) and were able to pull off FM 471 right in to the parking lot. We entered through the side into the covered outdoor area and the owner informed us that that area wasn't quite open yet. We asked him if there was a restaurant area and he said yes and pointed us to the door of the inside dining area. We entered into the old school house building. Once inside, I couldn't help but notice how wooden floor moved a little when I walked. The interior was a bit of a trip back in time. We sat in a booth. We were a little cramped, but it was cozy. The air conditioning was appreciated because it was pretty hot outside. Our waitress was young and very friendly. When we placed our drink order, we didn't realize there was a small beer menu on the table, so that would have saved us alot of time had we known. No big deal, though.

We started with an order of the large nachos. They came out pretty quickly and we were a bit underwhelmed by their looks, but they tasted pretty good. The ground beef was lightly browned and had a light cumino flavor. Although the cheese was charred from the broiler, the nachos were a little cold. They were very light and not greasy or heavy. My sister asked if they used real cheddar cheese on the nachos and the waitress said yes, but it was really soft shredded American cheese. The salsa was extremely spicy hot and fresh. I could have made a meal of the salsa with a bowl of chips. My burger looked good, but the meat didn't really have a particular flavor and was a bit dry. The buns were very good and tasty and the steak fries were hot, crispy and delicious. My husband had the catfish and said he was glad he ordered them because it was really good. He loved his salad from the salad bar, too. My sister's fried chicken sandwich was steaming hot. She liked the chicken, but didn't care for the cheese. She liked her large onion rings. My brother-in-law liked his grilled pork chop and baked potato. They all shared a cherry and peach cobbler with ice cream and said it was really good. As we were leaving, the owner took a moment to speak with us and answer some of my questions about the buildings. He seemed genuinely happy to have us as customers. All of the employees were really nice and courteous and took the time to talk to us. There was a band getting ready for their show and all of the employees seemed really excited about that evening's performance. This experience was well worth the drive.

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Casual and friendly atmosphere that offers first-rate homemade food! A great experience and worth the drive from San Antonio! Definitely recommend!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

When in doubt about where to eat in a small town, always ask a local! Loved the catfish at Cora's! Never would have pulled into this restaurant if I judged by outside appearance. But inside was comfy, clean and our waitress was outstanding.