“Inconsisent”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Alsatian Restaurant - CLOSED

Alsatian Restaurant
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Antonio
“Inconsisent”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Have to agree with a lot of other raters. I had looked forward to the sausage and sauerkraut that was on the buffet, but was disappointed. Didn't leave hungry, but disappointed in the buffet. Salad bar was OK. My husband had the black forest ham sandwich and I was envious. He enjoyed his meal - good French fries included.

Visited March 2014

Palmer, Texas
“Great View, Fair Food”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My wife and I visited this restaurant on February 13. Hoping for some good German food with some cold German beer, we tried this restaurant on our first night in Castroville. While I wanted to like the place, I can't say I was overly impressed.
This is a fairly new setting for this restaurant, and while it was clean, it has a very open atmosphere with stark white walls and high ceilings; which means it can be a little loud even when there are only a few patrons. On this night we tried the schnitzel. It was plentiful-meaning we took some home as we couldn't finish the two pieces each we were served. The sides were average at best. And the biggest downer was they only served imported Mexican beer, not German! I would have been okay with Belgian or anything from Europe, but it wasn't to be found on the menu.
So, perhaps had we ordered enchiladas with Dos Equis I could give this place a better rating.
Looked like a great place for a wedding reception as it overlooks the town of Castroville. Hence the great view. Also, if the hotel and spa are busy, parking can be a challenge.

Visited February 2014
“Average Food; NICE atmosphere”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Really wanted this visited to be great, but it was just average. It's not bad. Just not great. Better food all over Castroville. Service was not good either. They didn't seem to know what to do. The surroundings are good. Probably a great place for big party since there's a variety on buffet at lunch. Don't expect highbrow dinning. But, gets the job done.

Irving, Texas, Usa
“Great Expectations, Big Disappointment!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I reviewed the restaurant with the hotel review which is really unfair, but because it has a restaurant on the grounds and we would arrive late and leave early, this was important to us. We had dinner a little after 8. Wife had chicken cordon bleu. I ate some of it. We agreed bland and uneventful. I had sausage and sauerkraut. Sausage dry and overcooked. I had the seafood gumbo. Huge disappointment! Looked like light-colored, thickened soup. Definitely no roux. I expected some spiciness and Cajun flavor, but got neither one. Service barely adequate. Staff obviously busy cleaning up. We were the last couple dining by 8:30. It's obvious they care more about the weddings they cater than dinner guests. Breakfast in line with other reviews. Pitiful. Dry, boring pastry, dry bread, cereal, orange juice. I tasted the milk and it was sour. Chef said he had opened it that morning. A guy at the next table took a drink of his and it was sour. That convinced the chef to replace it and he did so immediately. He was apologetic, but maybe he's learned to taste what he serves before he serves it. This restaurant does nothing for the hotel. We LIKE the hotel, but suggest eating elsewhere. The fabulous Haby bakery is just down the street. Go there for breakfast!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Craig N
“Nice size meal with plenty to take home!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Ate at lunch and had a pasta and shrimp dish. My hubby ate a steak, shrimp and pasta dish! Both were delicious and large portions! Only complaint I had was looking forward to the salad bar and received a very small salad made by waitress. We were set up in the secondary dinning area near pool and the waitress had to go back and forth to the actual restaurant. She was great and smiles the entire time!

• Visited August 2013